Jon Macken

I played in a vets league game about 5 or 6 years ago and the team that turned up to play us included him and Sean Gregan (think their team might have been Avro's)

As you'd expect they were easily the best players on the pitch by a mile... whilst putting in the minimum effort
Who did you play for ? i used to play for Prestwich Heys on the 3G

I went to school with Johnathan (St Matthews), he was a year above me. His sister used to knock about with us on Briscoe Lane, when we were kids. Now him and Ronnie Wallwork were exactly the same age. I know Ronnie through him knocking about in Newton Heath.

Growing up, those 2 were absolutely head and shoulders above anyone else at football. It was not even close. I thought they were both on course to be superstars. In the end, they ended up being decent lower prem/championship level players. Ronnie should have been so much better but other factors impeded him. Some his own fault and others out of his control.

It makes me laugh when people call players shit. To make it to the top level then you have to be ridiculously good and super dedicated.

I went to school with Johnathan (St Matthews), he was a year above me. His sister used to knock about with us on Briscoe Lane, when we were kids. Now him and Ronnie Wallwork were exactly the same age. I know Ronnie through him knocking about in Newton Heath.

Growing up, those 2 were absolutely head and shoulders above anyone else at football. It was not even close. I thought they were both on course to be superstars. In the end, they ended up being decent lower prem/championship level players. Ronnie should have been so much better but other factors impeded him. Some his own fault and others out of his control.

It makes me laugh when people call players shit. To make it to the top level then you have to be ridiculously good and super dedicated.
He was at Oldham Town when I played there as a kid. He was head and shoulders above most in that age group.
Like you said, he was definitely a lower premier league/championship quality player and didn’t do badly at all out of the game.

Weird as he played u12 for our team and was about 3 foot nothing, who did you play for
Not sure where he was playing at that age group but he came to Oldham Town at around U14s or 15s. There were about 6 lads all from the Blackley area who came at the same time. Some decent players. Couple went onto play professionally in the lower leagues.

Scored that goal against Spurs in the 4-3 game and scored in the first derby I ever went to. He'll do for me.
The most Spursy game ever. 3-0 up at HT, City down to ten men, then BOOM….
“And Macken has scored; City lead 4-3!” Commentator incredulous.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.