Jorginho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the mix in midfield and or who jorghino will start with. There are games where City benefit from the work and security Fernandhino gives us. However, City played numerous games last season where there was no real dm in the side, and they dealt with teams at ease. So although I query jorghinos defensive game. I think it's a case of wait and see. Don't believe pep would not have factored in how the team will function with the addition of new players this season.

I love Ferna and think he's a key player in the team. However he was missing for 40 mins against Arsenal at Wembley (when we took over), he then missed the game at the Emirates a few days later (when we were irresistible for 45 mins) and at Spurs which was arguably one of our most complete performances.
The much maligned (on here anyway) Gundogan was excellent in all the above games.

Some people just need a whipping boy. Gundogan was indeed excellent in those games and we are blessed to have Fernandinho who has been an outstanding buy.

Depends on the mix in midfield and or who jorghino will start with. There are games where City benefit from the work and security Fernandhino gives us. However, City played numerous games last season where there was no real dm in the side, and they dealt with teams at ease. So although I query jorghinos defensive game. I think it's a case of wait and see. Don't believe pep would not have factored in how the team will function with the addition of new players this season.

Spot on.

Maybe this is obvious but the DM role is different in a team that plays like Pep's do. Jorginho will be amongst defenders who are advanced and mobile and willing to participate more than some others in the past. And often there's a full back drifting central too. So it's a different defensive-midfield dynamic. How different to how he's played before (or Fernandinho has played this season) I have no idea.

I suspect that Pep will have Jorginho play in a role that surprises us and I can't wait to see it.

How many did dinho score? And he’s definitely not quicker that fern btw. Pace is a major factor for me for a holding player especially in a team like ours. Hes slower than Gundogen! He’s a good player not disputing that. My only concerns are his pace and he defo isn’t a replacement for dinho that’s for sure

Sometimes I'm baffled by the opinions I hear. So your worries are that he hasn't got pace, and he is not a holding Midfielder: But when asked who you'd want,.. You picked Thiago. A guy who doesn't have pace and isn't a holding midfielder.

I mean you can't make this stuff up :) This doesn't even begin to broach the false claims that Jorghino isn't a DM. He is.

Especially in light of what we want him to do. He is a deep lying playmaker. The very definition of what we want (and by 'we' I mean Pep) at the DM position.

Yet this too ignores the fact that Dihno himself wasn't even a DM when he moved to City, nor is Fred ( our earlier target). I bring this up to underscore the fact that being an actual DM previously isn't even particularly germane in the analysis of who we should get. But I digress...
If he’s a deep lying playmaker he hasn’t come to replace fern imo

How many did dinho score? And he’s definitely not quicker that fern btw. Pace is a major factor for me for a holding player especially in a team like ours. Hes slower than Gundogen! He’s a good player not disputing that. My only concerns are his pace and he defo isn’t a replacement for dinho that’s for sure

Why's pace so important for you? You break down a packed defence with guile, not running past them. Most importantly, it doesn't seem like a problem for Pep :-)

He's a different type of player to Dinho, but that doesn't mean he can't replace him in some games. There's been plenty of games where the opponent having 10 men behind the ball means that Dinho's athleticism is wasted and we can have a more creative player in that position.

I'm excited about this. And i trust Pep knows what he is doing. At the same time, our midfield will consist of:

De Bruyne
Bernardo
David Silva
Foden
Gundogan
Fernandinho
Jorginho

That's a lot of options for 3 midfield positions. And very good ones i might add. But are we going match physically with a Liverpool midfield that consists of Keita AND Fabinho?

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Jorghino appears to be similar to Pirlo or Veratti in his application of the deep lying player role, both were and or are cracking p;layers, who were not blessed with significant pace. Busquet at Barcelona is not exactly a speedster, but again is a cracking player in relation to how he enables the system to function.

Its still a wait and see for me but Im coming round to the idea that what he will bring to the team far outweighs any concerns about his pace.

Given that the majority of teams will be possibly even more defensive this season, he is exactly the player will need to help unlock deep lying defences, beat a high line press or instigate swift counter attacks.

He seems very similar to Ya ya in terms of his pass selection, short long and the dink over the top to whoever has broken the line of defence. I think and I am hoping we will be surprised by this signing, I think when you consider how his role will synch with the rest of players within the system we play, it is this that leads me to believe that he is perfect for City.

But of course only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.