Joshua Wilson-Esbrand

He's raw, but I think he will end up a better option long term at LB than Gomez.

The question is whether he has the gets the opportunities and has the patience to battle it out for a regular spot in the squad. Luckily he's signed up until 2027, so we have his career in our hands so to speak.

I'd say right now Gomez is more of a 'natural' footballer and obviously more experienced - very technically able, but i'm still not completely convinced of him as a fullback. Very early days though and we were saying similar of Zinny when he started there.

JWE has the physical attributes that Gomez doesn't (and likely never will) and is a gifted attacking player to boot - he could be a very exciting prospect, just needs to get more game time over the season.

He's raw, but I think he will end up a better option long term at LB than Gomez.

The question is whether he has the gets the opportunities and has the patience to battle it out for a regular spot in the squad. Luckily he's signed up until 2027, so we have his career in our hands so to speak.

I'd say right now Gomez is more of a 'natural' footballer and obviously more experienced - very technically able, but i'm still not completely convinced of him as a fullback. Very early days though and we were saying similar of Zinny when he started there.

JWE has the physical attributes that Gomez doesn't (and likely never will) and is a gifted attacking player to boot - he could be a very exciting prospect, just needs to get more game time over the season.

I'm with you, I don't think Gomez is a natural defender. He was an attacking player for the majority of his youth career and going forwards he's brilliant but he's rash and he doesn't naturally know his starting position defensively. He can learn it over time, but Wilson-Esbrand is a much more natural defender. I hope we see more of him, he's composed on the ball - keeps it simple when he needs to but has that turn of pace and trickery to create things in attack. He's perfectly capable of playing for City, and I'd like to see him a lot more to be honest. I wish we had have seen him against Liverpool in the Community Shield to get a measure of how he is up against the likes of Salah.

Agree with above posts. We have no shortage of technical players coming through the academy. What makes this lad different is that he is big and quick. Much more of a traditional LB who is going to make overlapping runs - that positional stuff can be so important in opening up teams. And he has the pace to get back and cover.

Id like to see more of him and Cancelo and RB.

Whats going on with him? Thought he might have played v Girona. Hes a better left back than Gomez.
Would be keen to know too. Pre season he looked promising and I was surprised that we purchased Gomez for LB. When there is an opportunity to rotate, Gomez gets the time that he would likely have got.

Whats going on with him? Thought he might have played v Girona. Hes a better left back than Gomez.
I presumed he was injured, but pretty sure I saw him on some training photos earlier in the week. Think I’d rather see him up against Salah than Gomez, at least he’d have the pace and strength to deal with him better.

Pep also usually goes attacking and defending fullbacks in pairs.

Since lewis was clearly the attacking fullback, this meant it was very likely Ake started at LB.

I would like to see this guy getting more minutes, I reckon he could be just as dependable as Rico Lewis on the right and could be a real good squad option once he proves himself. Not sure if he’s injured or not atm.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.