Joshua Wilson-Esbrand

JWE is more direct and aggressive, and though that's what we want to see, I'm not sure Pep does, sadly.

I really hope this isn't the case and theres more into it.

Also is this what may cost Borges some game time here as well?

I think you’re right. From the limited action I’ve seen of JWE, he seems to love bursting forward with the ball, going on driving runs etc. Pep is so averse to anything like that these days. I know he’s literally one of the greatest managers ever but I really do think he’s got this trade off between risk and control a little wrong. Surely to god we don’t have to be this extreme whereby we can’t play young players because they’re too exciting to watch? I know it’s all about winning, but something just seems a bit off to me about the direction we’re going in aesthetically over the last year or so, maybe a little longer. Pep has always said football is about “entertaining our people” ie the fans. His tactics are veering away from that imo.
You’ve hit the nail on the head. it’s like our wingers, the fans are urging them to burst into the box and then they just pass it back into midfiel. Recently that isn’t winning games, but just as importantly it’s not too entertaining either.

Rico has has excelled and set the bar high in his recent performances for future academy players coming through into the first team. Esbrand right now is a promising young player, that's it. When he gets his chance he must make a mark for himself and have an impact on the team pretty much straightaway. I'm all for integrating youngsters into the first team but they simply have to hit the ground running, otherwise they may have to wait a while for another chance, or never get another chance.

Injuries or not, I'm not sure we'll see him regularly tbh. I think he's a great prospect but I'm not convinced Pep sees him as much more than a very raw option. He's got a lot to improve on (naturally given his age) in terms of ball retention and positional awareness and I'd guess Pep sees it as too risky. He was constantly barking orders at him the last time we played. Compare that to Rico who is a manager's dream and knows exactly where to be always and doesn't give the ball away...JWE is more direct and aggressive, and though that's what we want to see, I'm not sure Pep does, sadly.
The thing is. .... he's a natural left back. There has to be a slightly different approach to LBs coming through. It's almost impossible to sign a decent one. This lad is worth a run of games.

The thing is. .... he's a natural left back. There has to be a slightly different approach to LBs coming through. It's almost impossible to sign a decent one. This lad is worth a run of games.
"This lad is worth a run of games."

Based on what? A couple of exciting cameos in pre season?

We are entering a huge couple of weeks that will define the whole season , he won't get any minutes in these games for a reason, the manager clearly does not see anything because if he did he would have got some game time early season.

The guy needs to go out on loan otherwise his career will be over before it starts, he's 20 already, he needs to be playing high level football regularly.

"This lad is worth a run of games."

Based on what? A couple of exciting cameos in pre season?

We are entering a huge couple of weeks that will define the whole season , he won't get any minutes in these games for a reason, the manager clearly does not see anything because if he did he would have got some game time early season.

The guy needs to go out on loan otherwise his career will be over before it starts, he's 20 already, he needs to be playing high level football regularly.
I agree with this. The strength of teams in our cup draws this season have reduced opportunities for youngsters unfortunately. I think Cancelo, Ake, Laporte and Gomez would start at left back before JWE so, if there is an opportunity for him to go on loan for the rest of he season he should grab it.

We all want to see youngsters do well and get minutes in the first team but not every player can make it. If Lewis and Palmer establish themselves as first team squad members by the end of the season then that would be a massive success for our youth setup.

Both esbrand and palmer need loans they both should be playing week in week out at first team level.

Injuries or not, I'm not sure we'll see him regularly tbh. I think he's a great prospect but I'm not convinced Pep sees him as much more than a very raw option. He's got a lot to improve on (naturally given his age) in terms of ball retention and positional awareness and I'd guess Pep sees it as too risky. He was constantly barking orders at him the last time we played. Compare that to Rico who is a manager's dream and knows exactly where to be always and doesn't give the ball away...JWE is more direct and aggressive, and though that's what we want to see, I'm not sure Pep does, sadly.

I hope Pep knows something we don't know :)

JWE is a better fullback than rico lewis but as a pep system player rico is better. unfortunately don't think pep gives a shit about who is better. just about who is better for the system. like how he prefers grealish to foden.

JWE is a better fullback than rico lewis but as a pep system player rico is better. unfortunately don't think pep gives a shit about who is better. just about who is better for the system. like how he prefers grealish to foden.
Quite right too, thats what all managers should be doing. The team and system first.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.