Joshua Wilson-Esbrand

I would like to see this guy getting more minutes, I reckon he could be just as dependable as Rico Lewis on the right and could be a real good squad option once he proves himself. Not sure if he’s injured or not atm.
Rico has has excelled and set the bar high in his recent performances for future academy players coming through into the first team. Esbrand right now is a promising young player, that's it. When he gets his chance he must make a mark for himself and have an impact on the team pretty much straightaway. I'm all for integrating youngsters into the first team but they simply have to hit the ground running, otherwise they may have to wait a while for another chance, or never get another chance.

Injuries or not, I'm not sure we'll see him regularly tbh. I think he's a great prospect but I'm not convinced Pep sees him as much more than a very raw option. He's got a lot to improve on (naturally given his age) in terms of ball retention and positional awareness and I'd guess Pep sees it as too risky. He was constantly barking orders at him the last time we played. Compare that to Rico who is a manager's dream and knows exactly where to be always and doesn't give the ball away...JWE is more direct and aggressive, and though that's what we want to see, I'm not sure Pep does, sadly.

Injuries or not, I'm not sure we'll see him regularly tbh. I think he's a great prospect but I'm not convinced Pep sees him as much more than a very raw option. He's got a lot to improve on (naturally given his age) in terms of ball retention and positional awareness and I'd guess Pep sees it as too risky. He was constantly barking orders at him the last time we played. Compare that to Rico who is a manager's dream and knows exactly where to be always and doesn't give the ball away...JWE is more direct and aggressive, and though that's what we want to see, I'm not sure Pep does, sadly.
I think you’re right. From the limited action I’ve seen of JWE, he seems to love bursting forward with the ball, going on driving runs etc. Pep is so averse to anything like that these days. I know he’s literally one of the greatest managers ever but I really do think he’s got this trade off between risk and control a little wrong. Surely to god we don’t have to be this extreme whereby we can’t play young players because they’re too exciting to watch? I know it’s all about winning, but something just seems a bit off to me about the direction we’re going in aesthetically over the last year or so, maybe a little longer. Pep has always said football is about “entertaining our people” ie the fans. His tactics are veering away from that imo.

He’s 20 now, he needs to be playing senior football at some level. I think he’d do a great job for most Championship teams.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.