Jude Bellingham

Remember reading a few months ago the Madrid fans getting on his case due to a drop off in form after a great start.
Following on from that we’ve seen him in a few champs league games where he’s been average and chose to start diving around trying to get the players booked.
So it seems like he’s had a period from Madrid to England matches looking average at best.
I really want to like the guy but after his comments about city and the who else comment which incidently he’s suggesting to me at least that he’s way better than his teammates, that to me stinks of arrogance
And disrespect to the other players.
The fact so many fans and media are talking about this tells you everything.
Do the business on the pitch be as arrogant as you want until then fuck off with the who else shite.

I feel like England have always had a problem with fitting players into a system. Southgate's been more effective than many managers in that he's looked to focus England on being compact, counter attacking and being strong on the set piece. That's been the best way of playing with the players he's had available for him up until the last few years. We've now got an emergence of players who have been coached properly from an early age and can pass and move the ball and dominate possession. But we don't have a full set of players capable of playing that way.

The biggest issue remains the lack of player in the midfield to connect defence and attack. Off the ball Rice is brilliant. On it, in the 6 role, he's ponderous, nervous and hesitant. The ball never gets played between the lines and so we tend to go sideways and backwards with no penetration.

The other issue is the use of Foden from wide left, ahead of a right footed left back, but with freedom to roam. When he comes inside he can connect things, but the space is then on the left with Trippier in a position to attack....but it's Trippier so it's not effective.

I think after every game I've felt like he might finally solve the problem. But he hasn't. This time, with Trippier's injury and Guehi's suspension he might be forced to do something different and it might just kickstart the team. As we're so poor through the middle, we are probably better switching to a 3 at the back. Even with similar personnel, width from wing backs allows our current "wide players" to get closer to Kane and things would probably work better.
This is spot-on. Watching the game last night it seemed obvious that the biggest issue was no one was linking the defence to the midfield/attack. The defenders had lots of possession but no one in midfield was making themselves available. Rice was the problem because he can't take the ball under pressure and make quick decisions to release it. City had similar problems when Rodri was injured and that's why Phillips flopped as his potential back-up.

There is no doubting his ability but I do not think he is suited in the 10 role, he needs to drop deeper. All his best work was done from a deeper position where he was driving with the ball. It is so obvious this is the change Southgate needs to make and this will bring Foden into the centre but I feel like he doesn't want to do it as its 'what everyone wants'. It feels like he is too stubborn, doesn't want to be told that this was the issue all along.
Problem is Southgate squeezing every attacker into the same central space. Foden moving centrally but can't find any effective ground to work with because Bellingham is taking it up. Similarly Kane wants to drop deep but can't, so Kane resorts to running behind the defense, where he's far from his best. So it ends up no surprise that Saka sometimes ends up looking the best out of all 4 attackers.

This is not a novel problem exclusive to England, we can start to see the problems with Germany, with Havertz, Musiala, Wirtz and Gundogan. Germany's creative forces, at the moment, seem to play better with Fullkrug over Havertz. Wirtz will probably be sacrificed for Sane as the tournament goes.

One solution, as you point out, is to play Bellingham deeper, but Southgate doesn't trust a double pivot of Bellingham and Rice. Southgate is a cautious coach, so defensive solidity comes first. Maybe he doesn't deem Bellingham disciplined enough in defense.

Second solution, as we've seen most tournament, is to push Foden wide left. However, this way diminishes' Foden's ability, and Bellingham being in a position reserved usually for the most creative players, reduces the creativity of the attack. Make Foden drift centrally to create, and boom, you have the same problem again.

Third solution, would be to drop Kane and play a faster striker to run behind. But Kane is the captain, so probably deemed undroppable by Southgate.

Easiest way out for Southgate, way I see it, obviously is to drop either Foden or Bellingham. Play a more natural winger (Gordon), or a more defensive #8 midfielder (Mainoo, Gallagher?). Or a smarter mind might be able to find a solution that fits all.

You and your team mates were a few seconds from being knocked out of the competition, you plum. Bar the goals, you haven’t done much during the 4 games. Yet you criticise the fans who have spent a fortune travelling to Germany to support you and the team and at home.

"You hear people talk a lot of rubbish. It's nice when you can deliver and give them a little bit back."

You and your team mates were a few seconds from being knocked out of the competition, you plum. Bar the goals, you haven’t done much during the 4 games. Yet you criticise the fans who have spent a fortune travelling to Germany to support you and the team, and at home, because you and the rest of the players have played poorly in all 4 games.

"You hear people talk a lot of rubbish. It's nice when you can deliver and give them a little bit back."

His "Trademark" two hands in the air celebration that thousands of footballers have done before him was funny though. Strange fucker doesn't like criticism at all, he had better not upset the top knob Mbappe next year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.