Jude Bellingham

This is spot-on. Watching the game last night it seemed obvious that the biggest issue was no one was linking the defence to the midfield/attack. The defenders had lots of possession but no one in midfield was making themselves available. Rice was the problem because he can't take the ball under pressure and make quick decisions to release it. City had similar problems when Rodri was injured and that's why Phillips flopped as his potential back-up.
Keep seeing Rice in comparison to Rodri. The Spaniard being the best player in that position in World football doesn’t automatically make Rice a poor player. Rice is by a considerable distance the best English player for that role and why Pep was wanting him for best part of £100 million

You and your team mates were a few seconds from being knocked out of the competition, you plum. Bar the goals, you haven’t done much during the 4 games. Yet you criticise the fans who have spent a fortune travelling to Germany to support you and the team and at home.

"You hear people talk a lot of rubbish. It's nice when you can deliver and give them a little bit back."

the backlash to him saying this proves his point.

Like everyone else in this England team Bellingham has been monumentally disappointing and we might like to speculate where the responsibility for this collective failure lies. I think we have noticed an increased petulance and sense of entitlement evident in his play and yet the media are feeding us stories that he is England's talisman, that yesterday's equaliser was a moment of brilliance and it just had to be "from that man again". Unfortunately, I had sat through every draining moment of the game and Bellingham, to my mind, had been dreadful. No more and no less dreadful than any other England player, but still dreadful. And this against the 45th best team in the world, to add to the miserable performances against the 32nd, 21st and 57th teams in the world. And on Saturday we have to halt the progress of the 19th best team. Bellingham and the team may need some real heroics. But I'm sure they have the right manager and talisman to inspire the "lads"!(?)

This is spot-on. Watching the game last night it seemed obvious that the biggest issue was no one was linking the defence to the midfield/attack. The defenders had lots of possession but no one in midfield was making themselves available. Rice was the problem because he can't take the ball under pressure and make quick decisions to release it. City had similar problems when Rodri was injured and that's why Phillips flopped as his potential back-up.
Exactly as you and Supercity88 say, the midfield is the crux of the problem as far as Southgate's squad utilisation is concerned.

There is a litany of problems that has been facing England ever since this competition began, from Southgate not arriving in Germany with the system and players properly sorted and ready to go; to his choice of players (eg no Grealish as an option, or at least as one of four wide players Southgate could have used to vary things in every game); to 'square pegs in round holes' (see Foden and Bellingham especially); to dealing with players' egoes (see Kane and Bellingham especially); and so on and so on as many others on here have pointed out.

But last night I was ranting and foaming (not a good look, I'll admit!) every time Jordan or Stones or Walker or Guehi or Trippier were on the ball, looking for forward passing options. Time after time there came none.

The whole midfield was stretched at least ten metres further away than it should have been, making links with the back four nigh on impossible and increasing the risk of the back line making errors under pressure from the (highly organised) Slovak team.

The individuals (especially the midfield group) on the pitch have to take some responsibility for what has happened during the four matches we've played so far (and Foden is included in this critique)

But given the numerous errors Southgate has made pre- and during the Euros, it is little wonder that we've been as bobbins as we have, even against, may I say, the 'less elite' nations.

I hope we can turn things around but I think it will require the senior members of the team to lead a squad session involving a long, hard look at what they are all doing and the direction they need to take from here on in, exactly as the 86 World Cup squad had to do with the floundering Bobby Robson.

Fingers crossed, who knows..?!

Keep seeing Rice in comparison to Rodri. The Spaniard being the best player in that position in World football doesn’t automatically make Rice a poor player. Rice is by a considerable distance the best English player for that role and why Pep was wanting him for best part of £100 million
Rices shot at the post towards the end of the 2nd half is exactly what he should be doing more of but he doesn't do it enough.

England are really missing that classic central box to box midfielder who gets goals. Put an in-form Lampard into this team and I think we'd look far more stable. The casualty for that unfortunately has to be Bellingham or Foden.

Bellingham-Foden is unfortunately becoming the Lampard-Gerrard of our times, they just don't work together.

Like everyone else in this England team Bellingham has been monumentally disappointing and we might like to speculate where the responsibility for this collective failure lies. I think we have noticed an increased petulance and sense of entitlement evident in his play and yet the media are feeding us stories that he is England's talisman, that yesterday's equaliser was a moment of brilliance and it just had to be "from that man again". Unfortunately, I had sat through every draining moment of the game and Bellingham, to my mind, had been dreadful. No more and no less dreadful than any other England player, but still dreadful. And this against the 45th best team in the world, to add to the miserable performances against the 32nd, 21st and 57th teams in the world. And on Saturday we have to halt the progress of the 19th best team. Bellingham and the team may need some real heroics. But I'm sure they have the right manager and talisman to inspire the "lads"!(?)

Commentary described him as "England's favourite son" there is that much smoke coming out of his arse it's affected some on here who actually believe it :)

Cantona, Zlatan, Totti, Ronaldo.

There's 4 pretty arrogant footballers for you.

Will Jude make the grade?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.