July 30th 1966.England win the World Cup.

dennishasdoneit

58 years ago today England won the world cup
Any thoughts or memories from this momentous occasion..
From a personal point of view I'm happy to say that I've met in person both centre backs who played at Wembley that day Bobby Moore and Jack Charlton.
Our old manager Alan Ball was of course in central midfield and despite Blues memories of him as a manager, he was ,at the time,..1966.. one of the finest midfield players in the country.
Id particularly like to know if anyone remembers Ball playing at that time ,..

58 years ago today England won the world cup
Any thoughts or memories from this momentous occasion..
From a personal point of view I'm happy to say that I've met in person both centre backs who played at Wembley that day Bobby Moore and Jack Charlton.
Our old manager Alan Ball was of course in central midfield and despite Blues memories of him as a manager, he was ,at the time,..1966.. one of the finest midfield players in the country.
Id particularly like to know if anyone remembers Ball playing at that time ,..
I met Charlton when he was manager at Sheffield Wednesday. Him and Setters.

I watched that game in colour on Channel 4 (I think) recently. It was a shocker. Just get the ball onto the wings and hoof it into the penalty box. Bobby Charlton had an absolute mare of a game. Alan Ball was MOTM.
Channel 4 didn't begin transmitting until the early 80s. I think it was live on both BBC1 and ITV; not sure if BBC2 also showed it.

Reactions: PPT
Alan Ball played for Blackpool and regularly met Revie on the moors to receive a brown envelope as down payment on signing for Leeds. He went to Everton of course. I saw him play a few times. I would describe him as busy.

There is a story about Charlton and Beckenbauer who were each deputed to man mark the opposition’s danger man. Thus they followed each other for 90 minutes and hardly played in the game. At one point, Beckenbauer said to Charlton: “Fancy a trip to the corner flag?” So off they trotted to the corner and back. Two fine players wasted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.