July 30th 1966.England win the World Cup.

I watched that game in colour on Channel 4 (I think) recently. It was a shocker. Just get the ball onto the wings and hoof it into the penalty box. Bobby Charlton had an absolute mare of a game. Alan Ball was MOTM.
Thats how football waa in those days ,wouldn't you agree?
I've never watched the match back fully,so I take your view of Bobby Charlton...but I did see footage of the semi final ,when England beat Portugal. Charlton scored a brilliant goal,iirc Portugals world class player Eusebio showed Charlton due respect at the full time of the semi final encounter.
Re Ball, im sure ive heard the legendary comment, that he covered every blade of grass that afternoon,at the Empire stadium.

Reactions: PPT
Alan Ball played for Blackpool and regularly met Revie on the moors to receive a brown envelope as down payment on signing for Leeds. He went to Everton of course. I saw him play a few times. I would describe him as busy.
Regardless of background financial matters... I understood he was a great player for Blackpool Arsenal..... and Everton...where he was part of the so called Holy trinity of Ball Kendall and Harvey....part of one of Evertons best ever teams, so it appears his ' busy " playing style became the life blood of both England and Everton.

I was at a family do and the venue emptied about half past two. About 20 of us watched the game at my uncle's.
Spoke to quite a few folk over the years who recall watching the final at a relatives house ,all squeezed on a sofa watching grainy black and white footage...Modern day VAR would have had a field day with the Russian linesman incident !

Thats how football waa in those days ,wouldn't you agree?
I've never watched the match back fully,so I take your view of Bobby Charlton...but I did see footage of the semi final ,when England beat Portugal. Charlton scored a brilliant goal,iirc Portugals world class player Eusebio showed Charlton due respect at the full time of the semi final encounter.
Re Ball, im sure ive heard the legendary comment, that he covered every blade of grass that afternoon,at the Empire stadium.
Ball certainly was everywhere that day. When Hurst scored the last goal, he was on his own but Ball raced up there in case of rebounds. On 120 mins too.

Spoke to quite a few folk over the years who recall watching the final at a relatives house ,all squeezed on a sofa watching grainy black and white footage...Modern day VAR would have had a field day with the Russian linesman incident !
Goal line tech would have been definitive. Beckenbauer years later at a lunch I attended said it certainly wasn’t a goal. The linesman was Azerbaijani, so a soviet citizen but not Russian.

Last edited:
Goal line tech would have been definitive. Beckenbauer years later at a lunch I attended said it certainly wasn’t a goal. The linesman was Azerbaijani, so a soviet citizen but not Russian.
The national stadium in Azerbaijan is named after him (or was)

Ball certainly was everywhere that day. When Hurst scored the last goal, he was on his own but Ball raced up there in case of rebounds. On 120 mins too.
As I understand it, Ball and Stiles were the workmen of the team whilst Martin Peters was there for the artistry. I learned that Peters was often referred to as a player ahead of his time ,and was known ,for his ability to ghost ,unmarked info the penalty area and score with a late run from midfield.

Hurst Peters and Moore of course formed their own West ham unit .
Moore known as one of the best defenders in the world ( although Colin Bell led him a merry dance when the Blues beat the hammers 4nil at the Boleyn ground December 1970)... Hurst achieving legendary status for scoring a hat trick in a world cup final.

Wasn't this the tournament when Pele was kicked to bits playing for Brazil in an earlier round ?

Last edited:
The "Russian linesman" reference eference of course comes from the famous commentary of the match...
Did you get chance to ask Beckenbauer his opinion on Lampards goal for England that was ruled out controversially, a few years later ? ; )

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.