July 30th 1966.England win the World Cup.

Not a happy tournament for Jimmy Greaves , arguably the finest striker in English football at the time,,,missed a match through injury but Sir Alf Ramsey decided to keep the hard working Roger Hunt, of Liverpool in the team all the way up to the final, Sir Alf of the opinion that Hunt seemed to be a better forward partner with Westhams Geoff Hurst.

My old dad still talks of he went to the Brazil game at Goodison as a 16 yr old and was gutted to see Pele wellied off the pitch
Talking of Pele, I know that Brazil played a number of friendly / exhibition matches in England,I've seen photos of him playing at Villa Park,and Hillsboro ,I think early 1970s....the Holte end at Villa was packed solid with fans ...that was a very big terrace at Villa in those days and it was clear that the Harlem globetrotters of Football...Brazil,were an amazing attraction to the West Midlands population.
I imagine folk came from far and wide to Villa Park to witness the complete opposite of their own country's rigid 442 robots....

Did any bluemooner attend either Villa Park or Hillsborough for the visit of the Brazilian Football team in the 1970s ?

It was a crap game but the media tell us a different story.
As you full well know , many a top game is crap. It's winning it that matters. And its not been done since.So it's still, imo a momentous occasion and it's anniversary a couple of days ago should not be ignored.
A further point to add..England won the cup with the 3 West ham Utd players fully playing their part..it would have been a bit special if England had won the recent Euros, final ..imo, with Stones,Foden and Walker at the heart of the team...
Maybe this can happen at the next World Cup ...

Not a happy tournament for Jimmy Greaves , arguably the finest striker in English football at the time,,,missed a match through injury but Sir Alf Ramsey decided to keep the hard working Roger Hunt, of Liverpool in the team all the way up to the final, Sir Alf of the opinion that Hunt seemed to be a better forward partner with Westhams Geoff Hurst.
Greaves was on a whole different level to Hunt or Hurst.
Hurst especially was a hugely average player his whole career but will always be remembered for this game.

Greaves was on a whole different level to Hunt or Hurst.
Hurst especially was a hugely average player his whole career but will always be remembered for this game.
I remember a story of Hurst ,post match saying to Alf Ramsey as the manager spoke to another player "see you next match boss "
Ramsay replied " if selected !" ... so maybe Sir Alf knew the true ability of the available forwards....

I remember a story of Hurst ,post match saying to Alf Ramsey as the manager spoke to another player "see you next match boss "
Ramsay replied " if selected !" ... so maybe Sir Alf knew the true ability of the available forwards....
I wasn't slagging Hurst but Greaves was on a completely different level as a player, like comparing Sergio & Dickov ha

I wasn't slagging Hurst but Greaves was on a completely different level as a player, like comparing Sergio & Dickov ha
From what I've seen Greaves would definitely be on another planet
to Hurst.Greaves was the natural goalscorer.
Hurst had to work at it.

1966 really should have been the absolute peak of Pele in a World Cup.

Although he already had two winners medals by ‘66 he was still only 22 in 1962 and not at his peak. He scored only once in that tournament and was largely a periphery player according to reports.

By 1970, at 30, although he was still very influential, he was undoubtedly showing signs of wear and tear by then and was past his absolute peak.

In 1966 at 26, it really should have been his absolute peak tournament. But Brazil in general and Pele in particular were kicked out of the tournament in the group stages.

Think I’ve read that he was so disillusioned after that tournament that he announced his retirement from international football straight after it. But was obviously convinced to have second thoughts.

From what I've seen Greaves would definitely be on another planet
to Hurst.Greaves was the natural goalscorer.
Hurst had to work at it.

Saw both play in league matches. Greaves was gravy of an entirely different colour and taste. Had a superb first touch and acceleration over ten yards that could leave a defender for dead. Hurst was a good burly jobbing centre forward in the old mould. Perhaps the last avatar of the Nat Lofthouse tradition? (Although I never saw Lofthouse play and by reputation he was a better footballer than Hurst).

Just saying, incidentally, that in Latin America generally, not just Argentina, they consider that the refereeing in that England-Argentina match was outrageous. Not judging the rights and wrongs of it, but that's the judgement on that side of the Atlantic, for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.