July 30th 1966.England win the World Cup.

Wonder how much the English FA have forked out since trying to help "it's coming home".

Wonder how much the English FA have forked out since trying to help "it's coming home".
The mind boggles.
Of course..it was the 1966 world cup tournament which helped man Utd get funding ,from govermemt to improve old Trafford ,so it could be used as one of the outlying venues during the Cup.as was Goodison Park Everton. Here we are again in 2024 and the rags are asking for goverment money to fund a new stadium
They say history repeats itself.....
Incidentally does anyone know what other football grounds were used to hold tournament matches in 1966.?

The mind boggles.
Of course..it was the 1966 world cup tournament which helped man Utd get funding ,from govermemt to improve old Trafford ,so it could be used as one of the outlying venues during the Cup.as was Goodison Park Everton. Here we are again in 2024 and the rags are asking for goverment money to fund a new stadium
Incidentally does anyone know what other football grounds were used to hold tournament matches in 1966.?
Boro,Villa,Sheff wed,White City ?

The "Russian linesman" reference eference of course comes from the famous commentary of the match...
Did you get chance to ask Beckenbauer his opinion on Lampards goal for England that was ruled out controversially, a few years later ? ; )
“Zat makes it 1-1” he said.

The mind boggles.
Wembley, White City, Hillsborough, Villa Park, OT, Goodison, Ayresome Park, Roker Park.

the russians kicked the living crap out of him
I do remember a photo of Pele ,the best footballer in the World at that time.. possibly the best ever,...leaving the field of play, injured , during the match..at Goodison Park
Pele was a natural athlete, with a physique to match, so the opponents must have got away with a lot of fouling,without punishment. I know football was a different game then, far more physical and some brutal challenges were allowed.....but that photo of Pele being carried off ,definitely brings iimages of beauty being destroyed by the beast.
What if Pele had dragged Brazil to the final....How different could things have turned out..?

My old dad still talks of he went to the Brazil game at Goodison as a 16 yr old and was gutted to see Pele wellied off the pitch
There is a famous picture somewhere..of Pele being helped off Goodison Park,injured,forlorn..very sad.
Makes me think of David Silva,at Wembley, kicked to bits all game long by arsenal players,following the instructions of their esteemed manager Wenger....it still troubles me to this day ,that Arsenal football club set out to butcher one of the finest players in the world.
And did it.
Just to get to the Cup final....
David Silva and Pele...both..battered on a football pitch.its wrong,so wrong.

58 years ago today England won the world cup
Any thoughts or memories from this momentous occasion..
My old man watched it at my mum’s parents house in West Vale, just outside Halifax. There was a huge electrical storm going on outside, and my gran wanted him to turn the tv off and listen to it on the radio instead, which he declined.
During the storm some, presumed, ball-lightning went right through the window of a shop over the street and left a perfectly circular hole in the glass.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.