Just been down to maine road for 1st time in 6 years

i go to Xaverian college so i'm up that way every day, it's horrible to look up and not see the kippax, the whitworth pub is usually deserted nowadays.

Some days i end up on the 111 bus which goes down yew tree lane past kippax street etc and it's horrible! i'm only 17 so only have a few memories but for some of you..ahem...older ones, it must be absolutely gutting to drive past nowadays.

davymcfc said:
unsworthblue said:
i actually miss hearing a gang of Moss Side's finest saying 'can i mind yer car mate'.I remember one lad saying 'you want some brown?'.The customer relation skills of those lads were 2nd to none
isnt it funny how they accepted 20p. basically beggers. does that happen anywhere near the new ground now?

Chill out Davy.. I minded the cars as a kid. We were about 9 or 10 and were in Cowesby Street (where my nan lived) for every home game. We had a laugh and also had at least 10 regular cars that used to come back every home game. We would ensure there was a space for them and they would give us 50p in return. You couldnt get a guaranteed parking space for 20p on Cowesby street davy.

I'm glad we moved, we couldn't ever redevelop there, and the stadium was a f**king mess.

No (long standing) City supporter will ever forget Maine Road, and so long as we sing "we are City from Maine Road" as loud as we did at Arsenal last week, no other club will ever forget it either, fans of other clubs both hated and admired it.

Maine Road is history, a proud history, what they do with it now is irrelevant.

pbibs said:
davymcfc said:
isnt it funny how they accepted 20p. basically beggers. does that happen anywhere near the new ground now?

Chill out Davy.. I minded the cars as a kid. We were about 9 or 10 and were in Cowesby Street (where my nan lived) for every home game. We had a laugh and also had at least 10 regular cars that used to come back every home game. We would ensure there was a space for them and they would give us 50p in return. You couldnt get a guaranteed parking space for 20p on Cowesby street davy.
looks like i owe you an apology pbibs. i did hear about people having their car bricked for not giving any money. but i assume that wasnt you.

pbibs said:
davymcfc said:

if you were one of the mind yer car mate posse pbibs i salute you sir.Had many a happy day having a good bit of banter with you young scoundrels.It was all part of the match day experience,C.O.M.S does'nt come close to maine road as far as 'match day experience' is concerned.

I was born in Ridgeway Street (my Grans house) just off Kippax Street. My other grandparents lived in Cowesby Street. Some great memories and some great stories from my grandparents. They are treasured memories but time moves on.<br /><br />-- Sat May 01, 2010 12:22 am --<br /><br />
unsworthblue said:
pbibs said:
if you were one of the mind yer car mate posse pbibs i salute you sir.Had many a happy day having a good bit of banter with you young scoundrels.It was all part of the match day experience,C.O.M.S does'nt come close to maine road as far as 'match day experience' is concerned.

It has been going on for quite a while. I am 40 now so it is around 30 years ago when me and my cousin "policed" one half of Cowesby Street. I suppose we were scoundrels in a way but we never hurt anybody. The worst we ever did was climb over the back wall of the sweet shop on Claremont RD, borrow a couple of Ben Shaws lemonade bottles and walk round the front of the shop and claim the 5p return. Didnt last long, the owner soon cottoned on. They were good days.

davymcfc said:
unsworthblue said:
i actually miss hearing a gang of Moss Side's finest saying 'can i mind yer car mate'.I remember one lad saying 'you want some brown?'.The customer relation skills of those lads were 2nd to none

oh yes! the robbing bastards put on luminous jackets and charge a fiver

davymcfc said:
pbibs said:
looks like i owe you an apology pbibs. i did hear about people having their car bricked for not giving any money. but i assume that wasnt you.

Maybe times change. I minded cars 30 yrs ago mate, it isnt a recent phenomenom. We just wanted sweets. Bricking cars didnt happen in my time.

still drive up every now and again and buy the sunday papers from the indian guy with the newsagent at the top of lowthorpe st. even now i still expect to see the kippax rising up between the houses when im driving down platt lane in the car.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.