Just go..........

John Wayne said:
The danger of comparing this season to the previous campaign is that any improvement this season becomes exaggerated by the consensus that we completely underachieved last season.

In my opinion, it is of no relevance whatsoever to use any scale of the club's history as a benchmark for what we are doing this season, be it last season, eleven years ago, or thirty-four years ago. For example, the idea that "Saturday was great because in 1995 we lost 4-0 and 6-0 to Liverpool in the same week", carries no weight.

It is also a problem when all judgements are based on quantifiable data, particularly at this stage of the season. The fact that we have only lost once is enough for some fans to remain content. The fact that we are a few points off the top four with a game in hand presents another reason for some fans to believe in the status quo. These facts cannot be denied, but they can be countered by other statistics, for instance, six points from a possible eighteen, or five wins from twelve.

Mark Twain couldn't have been more true when he said "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." Hence for now, I am judging City by what I observe at the games as they are taking place. And what I am observing is actually of great concern to City fans. Just as we are a couple of wins from being in the mix, we are two defeats from crisis. Where will the "only one defeat" brigade be hiding should that happen? Chelsea lost back-to-back away games but averted a crisis by virtue of their knack of winning (both prior and post the defeats). This run of draws has definitely done more harm to City than good because it leaves us at a crossroads going into a busy period.

But my real point is that our performances have been alarming given the obvious talent in the squad, and we have shown no signs of improvement in our run of draws. No sign of "gelling". This is because we are not functioning as a team; it should not be the case that fans are worried at every opposition set piece in our half of the pitch, or that we believe that a goal will be scored against us at any minute - this is not deluded arrogance because of our wealth, it is a major flaw that needs serious and urgent attention. If we could see discernible progress in our team, there would be fewer "moaners" frequenting this forum. But to just expect that we will "gel" in time and hope that hanging around waiting for the current regime to produce the goods, is just as "arrogant" as those who believe we should be turning teams over now and more often. Stability is over-rated in football. Mark Hughes should not be protected by the managerial merry-go-round that went before him. If he doesn't start winning soon, he should be gone.

...and that just about sums it up for me as well. Brilliant post.

Come on Blues lets have some love in the building.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQdyEw6jfGQ[/youtube]

Give Hughes a chance

bizzbo said:
levets said:
great contribution to the debate... well done! Assuming it was aimed at me?

By the way, have you read the whole thread?

nah. read the first few last night, and the last few tonight.

it wasn't aimed at you particularly. just, live and let live is the only way forward. we can't all agree, but we can agree to respect each other's right to voice our opinions, even when we disagree on the issues.

Fair enough... don't disagree with your sentiments...

M24 said:
PaulPowerShower said:
Or you could try actually wanting to win football games

Go on give it a go

I do want to win games pal............every single one......thats what being a supporter does.
However, i'm not so deluded to believe that we have a devine right to win every game.
If we dont win I still support them......not slag them off like some (lots) on here.
My point was that if you are not prepared to support the team, through thick and thin, then just go.........because if you dont, in my eyes, that doesnt make you a supporter......simple really
I think all middlesbro fans were told the same....so they stayed away.....and southgate still got sacked.Problem was,he was just not up to the job.I'd never join in with any "Hughes out"chants at a match,if they ever started,or boo a player.Thats what a forum is supposed to be for.Plus its a good guide to get the general feeling of fans.At the moment i dont think it's 50-50.It seems like there are 3 groups.1,never wanted him from day 1 (ex-rag etc,etc)2,give him time,(sacking managers has been our downfall) and 3,were happy when he started but are now becoming mystified by his tactics and are starting to think maybe somebody could do a better job.Telling people they should be happy to accept 2nd best doesn't make you a better supporter.

levets said:
Let's show him a bit of respect and let him decide when and if the manager should be replaced.

I'll show him respect by presuming he wouldn't wouldn't want us to stop talking about the club and sharing our opinions, good and bad.

And Im sure he's more than capable of making his own decisions despite what is written on these boards.

anymore than 2sheiks said:
M24 said:
I do want to win games pal............every single one......thats what being a supporter does.
However, i'm not so deluded to believe that we have a devine right to win every game.
If we dont win I still support them......not slag them off like some (lots) on here.
My point was that if you are not prepared to support the team, through thick and thin, then just go.........because if you dont, in my eyes, that doesnt make you a supporter......simple really
I think all middlesbro fans were told the same....so they stayed away.....and southgate still got sacked.Problem was,he was just not up to the job.I'd never join in with any "Hughes out"chants at a match,if they ever started,or boo a player.Thats what a forum is supposed to be for.Plus its a good guide to get the general feeling of fans.At the moment i dont think it's 50-50.It seems like there are 3 groups.1,never wanted him from day 1 (ex-rag etc,etc)2,give him time,(sacking managers has been our downfall) and 3,were happy when he started but are now becoming mystified by his tactics and are starting to think maybe somebody could do a better job.Telling people they should be happy to accept 2nd best doesn't make you a better supporter.

Im a '3' I reckon. Was over the moon when he started, and still very much want him to succeed, but he is puzzling me with the fooking long hoof among other things. Not in the 'out' camp just yet though.

Keep the ball on the deck FFS!

;)

Fuck me

I started a thread about ADE being shit at the long ball, some good points were made that he is good with his head and not always good at winning the ball

I got called c*nt, a rag, "fuck off and support someone else" etc etc.....

i admit I post negative comments for 2 reasons 1) they start DEBATE 2) Im frustrted at our performances of recent

Whay does everone get so fucking angry with each other???????

PaulPowerShower said:
Fuck me

I started a thread about ADE being shit at the long ball, some good points were made that he is good with his head and not always good at winning the ball

I got called c*nt, a rag, "fuck off and support someone else" etc etc.....

i admit I post negative comments for 2 reasons 1) they start DEBATE 2) Im frustrted at our performances of recent

Whay does everone get so fucking angry with each other???????

Its the digital age - Hooliganism has just gone virtual

John Wayne said:
The danger of comparing this season to the previous campaign is that any improvement this season becomes exaggerated by the consensus that we completely underachieved last season.

In my opinion, it is of no relevance whatsoever to use any scale of the club's history as a benchmark for what we are doing this season, be it last season, eleven years ago, or thirty-four years ago. For example, the idea that "Saturday was great because in 1995 we lost 4-0 and 6-0 to Liverpool in the same week", carries no weight.

It is also a problem when all judgements are based on quantifiable data, particularly at this stage of the season. The fact that we have only lost once is enough for some fans to remain content. The fact that we are a few points off the top four with a game in hand presents another reason for some fans to believe in the status quo. These facts cannot be denied, but they can be countered by other statistics, for instance, six points from a possible eighteen, or five wins from twelve.

Mark Twain couldn't have been more true when he said "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." Hence for now, I am judging City by what I observe at the games as they are taking place. And what I am observing is actually of great concern to City fans. Just as we are a couple of wins from being in the mix, we are two defeats from crisis. Where will the "only one defeat" brigade be hiding should that happen? Chelsea lost back-to-back away games but averted a crisis by virtue of their knack of winning (both prior and post the defeats). This run of draws has definitely done more harm to City than good because it leaves us at a crossroads going into a busy period.

But my real point is that our performances have been alarming given the obvious talent in the squad, and we have shown no signs of improvement in our run of draws. No sign of "gelling". This is because we are not functioning as a team; it should not be the case that fans are worried at every opposition set piece in our half of the pitch, or that we believe that a goal will be scored against us at any minute - this is not deluded arrogance because of our wealth, it is a major flaw that needs serious and urgent attention. If we could see discernible progress in our team, there would be fewer "moaners" frequenting this forum. But to just expect that we will "gel" in time and hope that hanging around waiting for the current regime to produce the goods, is just as "arrogant" as those who believe we should be turning teams over now and more often. Stability is over-rated in football. Mark Hughes should not be protected by the managerial merry-go-round that went before him. If he doesn't start winning soon, he should be gone.

An excellent analysis followed by a sound conclusion.

As I've said before, progress isn't progress unless it translates into results. It is as you say, either he wins matches or he should be gone.

But that does not mean you will see me joining in with or approving of people who don't get behind the team on matchdays. I am 100% behind my team when it matters. Whoever the manager is.

For 90 mins on a match day im a 100% beind them but as you said if were not winning were not really moving forward

I just dont count "were not getting beaten at least" as a step forward - Just seems like 'typical city' creeping in

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.