Juventus

You have over-simplified it. For example, Danilo was one of the players involved, as part of a swap deal plus cash. As I understand it, Juventus were inflating player values to increase the profit on sale, and therefore inflate their bottom line.

Player values can be very subjective of course but let's say a player's net book value on Juve's books was £20m and they agree to sell him to Club A in exchange for another player and add £20m in cash.

If they value him at £20m, there's no profit on sale and the incoming player will be valued at £40m on Club A's books. However, if the two clubs agree to a valuation of £40m plus £20m cash, then Juve can report a profit of £20m on that deal. The buying club then should put him on their books at £60m.

Like I said, valuations are subjective and there's little financial advantage to Club A but if they connived in that then they could potentially face some sanctions. More serious is that they ignored the inflated valuation and valued the deal at £40m instead of £60m. That should be unlikely though if they use UEFA's Transfer Management System correctly but you never know.
But none of that would warrant a police investigation (as far as I understand derstand it)
The police are involved so, to me, it's more serious than player valuation, the obvious one is tax but it could also be creaming money off transfers for themselves.

Cancelo has contributed a lot more than Danilo did to our success. I think the "plus cash" bit of the transfer can be justified by looking at the appearances the players made for City.
Cancelo is a very very good player.
Yet he makes a lot of 'mistakes'.
I remember an inexplicable pass to the R.M. goalie in the chumps league...

Danilo was never worth anything approaching that value at the time [of his transfer from City to Juventus].

Wasn't he? According to Transfermarkt, Real Madrid paid €31.5 million to sign him from Porto in 2015 and sold him to us for €30 million two years later. The same source has him valued at €37 million in the swap deal for Cancelo a further two years after that.

At that point, he was aged 28, so at the peak of his career. He had around 25 caps for Brazil and had been a regular squad member for them for eight seasons. He'd shown enough versatility in his career to fill in at CB, defensive midfield and LB as well as his regular position of RB. Over the previous two seasons, he'd made 60 competitive appearances in a City side that picked up 198 points and won five major trophies.

The notion is expressed further up this thread that he was worth 10 or 15 million (that sum might be in pounds and not euro) because execrable media sources were linking him with moves at that sum. The idea is laughable. No way would City have traded him for such a paltry amount.

We'd at least have been looking for something close to what we paid. And while we may have been lucky to turn a profit on him of almost 25% based on the Transfermarkt figures, their report of a €37 million value in the Juve deal is far from an outrageous sum given his prior market value along with the attributes I've listed above.

You can certainly make a respectable case for the valuation in question, anyway. That doesn't seem the case to me in some of Juve's other, more egregious swap deals, though I can't say I've researched them very thoroughly.

Wasn't he? According to Transfermarkt, Real Madrid paid €31.5 million to sign him from Porto in 2015 and sold him to us for €30 million two years later. The same source has him valued at €37 million in the swap deal for Cancelo a further two years after that.

At that point, he was aged 28, so at the peak of his career. He had around 25 caps for Brazil and had been a regular squad member for them for eight seasons. He'd shown enough versatility in his career to fill in at CB, defensive midfield and LB as well as his regular position of RB. Over the previous two seasons, he'd made 60 competitive appearances in a City side that picked up 198 points and won five major trophies.

The notion is expressed further up this thread that he was worth 10 or 15 million (that sum might be in pounds and not euro) because execrable media sources were linking him with moves at that sum. The idea is laughable. No way would City have traded him for such a paltry amount.

We'd at least have been looking for something close to what we paid. And while we may have been lucky to turn a profit on him of almost 25% based on the Transfermarkt figures, their report of a €37 million value in the Juve deal is far from an outrageous sum given his prior market value along with the attributes I've listed above.

You can certainly make a respectable case for the valuation in question, anyway. That doesn't seem the case to me in some of Juve's other, more egregious swap deals, though I can't say I've researched them very thoroughly.
There are plenty of other valuations that are far more questionable in recent years, especially involving Chelsea and Liverpool.

His value clearly hadn't gone up 25% being two years older and after playing less than a third of our premier league minutes in total and less than a quarter of the time in his final season.

Last edited:
But none of that would warrant a police investigation (as far as I understand derstand it)
The police are involved so, to me, it's more serious than player valuation, the obvious one is tax but it could also be creaming money off transfers for themselves.
But isn't that similar (not exactly but, a bit) to a pump and dump stock drop? Over inflate the value of something to send the share prices up or to increase the value so you get more if you sell it.

I think if it's a public company, any kind of book cooking is illegal. I guess if it's a private one it's also illegal as it would be tax fraud

His value clearly hadn't gone up 25% being two years older and after playing less than a third of our premier league minutes in total and less than a quarter of the time in his final season.

He was at his peak age as a player, an established member of Brazil's squad and, at club level, had won a heap of medals over the previous four years at the respective most successful clubs in Europe's top two leagues. In the light of that, IMO €37 million was a perfectly respectable valuation.

You're entitled to disagree. I think you're nit-picking and not looking at the big picture.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.