Kalidou Koulibaly

I think what you're proposing is one of those nice in theory, but could go horribly wrong in reality. I'd love to see Tosin, Eric and Taylor all get their chance here to really prove themselves, but Taylor only stepped up from the u18s last season, I think he needs either a year solidly in the EDS with cup and occasional league minutes, or a loan to the Championship at a club where he's got realistic chances of starting regularly.

As for Tosin, I think he's great and improved but if we're going into next season with him - 2 years championship experience (both in relatively mediocre teams) as our starting RCB, I am worried against the big sides. I think if he were to agree say a loan to an Everton or even Wolves at best, and have one year in the PL at a non relegation threatened side, he could really kick on and prove if he's good enough for us. Maybe even Celtic, especially for the European exposure whether EL or CL.

And Eric, my personal favourite of the three and what he lacks in physicality he does make up for in passing and grit and effort, which does make him an especially good partner for Laporte. Barely any mistakes and largely had his blushes saved when he has, and I think he's ready to be the first name on the bench/first rotation CB. A year with pretty regular game time in all comps could transform him, especially if he could put a bit of muscle on too.

I do think this points to needing a top CB who's a bit older, to give space for these young guys to take over if they prove good enough. Koulibaly is literally the perfect choice. At his peak, still looks fantastic and a level above our current slate of CBs besides Laporte. VVD, Ramos, Laporte and Koulibaly (in no order) are in my eyes the top 4 CBs in the world. Having two of them starting for us would be transformational.
What's the likelihood of Laporte, Ake and Fernandinho all being injured at the same time when we play a big game? It's exactly the same likelihood of Laporte, Koulibaly and Fernandinho being injured at the same time when we play a big game.

It's only at that stage we would potentially need to play Garcia, Tosin and/or Harwood-Bellis together, even then the likelihood is that Walker or Rodri would drop into the back four or we would move to a back three or play with two holding midfielders to protect them.

The only other suggestion has been to keep either Stones or Otamendi, which makes even less sense considering most posters on here have already said there's no way back for either and/or they need to move on, so if that's the case how could Garcia, Tosin or Harwood-Bellis perform worse? Your whole debate is based on worst case scenarios which are identical, it makes no sense.

If you think City are going to next season with CB options like that, you are wrong big time.

These owners bought City to promote Abu Dhabi and the best way to promote it, is success and you always give best chances of success. Those CB optionsa are not going to give any sort of success.

This City project by these owners is not charity. Silver Lake are looking for huge gains on their shares as well and time is ticking on that too. The more poor seasons there are, less cash Silver Lake are going to get when they sell their shares in 10 years. (It was said in FT that they wont keep them for more than 10 years).

The internal pressure to get success is real, dont kid yourself.
Time is ticking on Silver Lake?? How?? How long have they invested and do you think they want great returns within 6 months?
Is this how investment works or I thought this was long term investment which can be made profitable when next season. Performance of this year won't have effect on shares.

They didn't buy thinking we will win 10 on a row.

And if I am reading correctly, Silver Lake can put internal pressure on us to sign all big money players bcoz they care about investment?

So Sheikh Mansour bought City to promote Abu Dhabi, interesting I didn't know that..
We have our own versions of those accusing us of sportwashing.

Likes of Prestwich Blue and Rabin are destroying Delanyes and Nick Harris and McGeean but fee more are popping up

What's the likelihood of Laporte, Ake and Fernandinho all being injured at the same time when we play a big game? It's exactly the same likelihood of Laporte, Koulibaly and Fernandinho being injured at the same time when we play a big game.

It's only at that stage we would potentially need to play Garcia, Tosin and/or Harwood-Bellis together, even then the likelihood is that Walker or Rodri would drop into the back four or we would move to a back three or play with two holding midfielders to protect them.

The only other suggestion has been to keep either Stones or Otamendi, which makes even less sense considering most posters on here have already said there's no way back for either and/or they need to move on, so if that's the case how could Garcia, Tosin or Harwood-Bellis perform worse? Your whole debate is based on worst case scenarios which are identical, it makes no sense.

I'm not even saying that it's worst case scenarios, I'm saying I do not think 2/3 of the names are quite ready and to have 1 of them sitting on the bench every game with a 35 to 36 yr old Dinho who will decline (at what rate we do not know) more and more is not great squad management. Also playing Walker as CB in a back 4, or moving Rodri when he needs next season on his own as the DM to fully settle there is just as risky. I do not think what you are proposing is realistic or worth the risk, when there's better and safer options in terms of squad building/management and in terms of youth development in Taylor and Tosin's case out there.

Tosin, Garcia, or Harwood-Bellis are good prospects but not ready yet, we need an experience center back to partner Laporte, Koulibaly is perfect fit.

I'm not even saying that it's worst case scenarios, I'm saying I do not think 2/3 of the names are quite ready and to have 1 of them sitting on the bench every game with a 35 to 36 yr old Dinho who will decline (at what rate we do not know) more and more is not great squad management. Also playing Walker as CB in a back 4, or moving Rodri when he needs next season on his own as the DM to fully settle there is just as risky. I do not think what you are proposing is realistic or worth the risk, when there's better and safer options in terms of squad building/management and in terms of youth development in Taylor and Tosin's case out there.
I don't think there's any risk at all, certainly not big enough to justify the sums of money De Laurentiis is alluding to or what anyone would demand for a top class CB. The bigger risk for me is losing the ability to play out from the back by only having one left footed centre back, that has been our biggest issue this season (along with the lack of a naturally left footed left winger).

We're losing games consistently because we're too slow as a team playing forward, we keep coming inside, we keep trying to play through the middle and we get exposed defensively when we inevitably lose possession against teams who defend compactly and don't allow space through the middle. A right footed CB only exacerbates that problem even more because no matter how competent they are on their left foot, there's no substitute for a natural left footer and they'll always revert to their stronger foot when they are pressed aggressively and will pass inside because that's the natural body position.

I don't think there's any risk at all, certainly not big enough to justify the sums of money De Laurentiis is alluding to or what anyone would demand for a top class CB. The bigger risk for me is losing the ability to play out from the back by only having one left footed centre back, that has been our biggest issue this season (along with the lack of a naturally left footed left winger).

We're losing games consistently because we're too slow as a team playing forward, we keep coming inside, we keep trying to play through the middle and we get exposed defensively when we inevitably lose possession against teams who defend compactly and don't allow space through the middle. A right footed CB only exacerbates that problem even more because no matter how competent they are on their left foot, there's no substitute for a natural left footer and they'll always revert to their stronger foot when they are pressed aggressively and will pass inside because that's the natural body position.

I think you're bang on the money about needing a left footer - I also agree Ake is the perfect guy, homegrown, knows the league, can help in other positions if needed, good in both 4 and 5 ATB. But I do disagree because I think we need a top RCB too so as not to take the problem we've had on the left this season and end up with it on the right but for a different reason (meant in the sense of yes its not the natural foot being an issue, but quality).

Sport Witness has spoken. Case closed I guess.

aren't you tired of continuously getting schooled in discussions by someone who plays football manager and base his entire opinion on it?

And to make it worse you have to resort to insults & name calling...
You’re not schooling anyone kiddo.

I think you're bang on the money about needing a left footer - I also agree Ake is the perfect guy, homegrown, knows the league, can help in other positions if needed, good in both 4 and 5 ATB. But I do disagree because I think we need a top RCB too so as not to take the problem we've had on the left this season and end up with it on the right but for a different reason (meant in the sense of yes its not the natural foot being an issue, but quality).
Yeah it's a personal preference, I will always side with younger players and giving them a chance, especially with the quality I think we've got in Garcia, Tosin and Harwood-Bellis.

Equally if we could get Koulibaly for a reasonable fee around £40m then I couldn't really argue against it, he's a brilliant player, it would still be a gamble like all players but not crippling FFP wise if it doesn't work out. My argument is if the asking price for Koulibaly or any top centre back is roughly £80m then I'd much rather stick with the young lads, as I think they'll be brilliant anyway.

I don't think you're schooling anyone mate. And FWIW I love Football Manager, but I wouldn't use it to base my footballing opinions/transfer targets with maybe the exception of checking what position someone plays if I have it open. Yes I do overstep the mark, but you constantly act as if you know everything and know better than everyone in here
I also love FM, I'd like to add that in addition to being able to check a players best position (something it's not always very good at) it is also good for finding out about players you had previously never heard of. I would never base my opinion of a player on FM, but FM has certainly introduced me to players whom I can then judge based on real life.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.