Kalidou Koulibaly

I think you play the best player, if that upsets a 25 year old new signing and he wants to leave, then at least we'll get a decent amount of money back (e.g. Cancelo). With a 30 year old on a huge contract that's a very difficult sell as the only clubs interested are panic buyers after an immediate fix who have a lot of cash, unfortunately there's not many of them about. You'll get far more interest in Stones than Otamendi for example, purely down to age and potential.
a 21 year old player who cost £60m potentially having a bad first season.
vs
a 29 year old player who cost £60m potentially having a bad first season.

Nothing is ever guaranteed in a signing. Anybody can make mistakes in high pressure situations.
(Laporte & Koulibaly both made mistakes that lead to goals in an elimination game in the CL 18/19).

A lot of people are underestimating Laporte just because we had complex issues and he wasn't in the team.

We suddenly need a Commending Leader beside him. It's a must and buying a "TOP CB with lots of potential" won't do.

a 21 year old player who cost £60m potentially having a bad first season.
vs
a 29 year old player who cost £60m potentially having a bad first season.

Nothing is ever guaranteed in a signing. Anybody can make mistakes in high pressure situations.
(Laporte & Koulibaly both made mistakes that lead to goals in an elimination game in the CL 18/19).

A lot of people are underestimating Laporte just because we had complex issues and he wasn't in the team.

We suddenly need a Commending Leader beside him. It's a must and buying a "TOP CB with lots of potential" won't do.

Exactly Laporte is in the top 2 CBS in the league with van dick..

And he’s partners aren’t world class Gomez matip and lovern, they are no better then stones, otemendi and Garcia.

I’d like to see the dippers cope without van dick for 3/4 of the season.

Oh definitely, I was more meaning, Koulibaly's playtime can decrease as he ages yet still be effective - like what probably would've happened with Fernandinho had bought a new DM sooner. I don't think City are overly bothered about sell on value, and if we were, I'd be pretty worried cause we do seem to be absolutely tragic sellers once they're not prospects/kids being sold in the millions a la Sancho/Brahim
I maybe talking absolute bollocks here so correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Khaldoon, Txiki or Pep come out and said we look first and foremost for "value for money" in the transfer market? That together with the pretty strict transfer policy of players 26 and under (Mahrez being the exception) indicates to me we are bothered, very bothered. The ideal situation is they stay forever and become club legends (e.g. De Bruyne) but if it all goes tits up (e.g. Cancelo) we still get to recover some money at least.

And he’s partners aren’t world class Gomez matip and lovern, they are no better then stones, otemendi and Garcia.

Well yeah, they wouldn't win it. Which is kinda the point. We can either rely on Laporte or we can buy a world class partner for him who can form a formidable partnership, but also run the defence when Laporte is injured. Most title-winning teams don't have two world class defenders, but many of the most successful teams were built around a great partnership with two really high quality CBs. We've spent most of our successful years trying to find a long-term partner for Kompany, and now we're probably going to do the same with Laporte.

Well yeah, they wouldn't win it. Which is kinda the point. We can either rely on Laporte or we can buy a world class partner for him who can form a formidable partnership, but also run the defence when Laporte is injured. Most title-winning teams don't have two world class defenders, but many of the most successful teams were built around a great partnership with two really high quality CBs. We've spent most of our successful years trying to find a long-term partner for Kompany, and now we're probably going to do the same with Laporte.

Shame the Italians don’t breed centre halves like the used to . A CB like carnnavaro , nesta, Maldini even a matterazi would be Nice lol

But they also have two top class fullbacks as well. Laporte has Walker.

Both Gomez and Matip is superior to Stones and current Otamendi imo. Lovren is shite with or without Van Djik.

Matip was sadly a great signing for them on a free, and in hindsight it would have been a good signing for us as well. Gomez struggles in some matches with his concentration but he is a very talented player and his pace and strenght would be very welcome in our system. They will never get full credit because of the narrative that Van Djik is the greatest thing since sliced bread though, but I feel as long as that clown Lovren isnt on the pitch they can muster a better pairing with better individuals than we can. And we shouldn't forget that they also have three workhorses in front of them, which means we require even more from our centre-backs than they do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.