Kalidou Koulibaly

Getting caught in possession isn't a defensive error in my opinion. That's shit attacking (build-up) play caused specifically by having a right footed player at LCB. His options were limited by his inability to use his left foot, forcing him to play inside, only Norwich had closed off those options. A left footed player in that situation plays safely out to the left back.

There was a simple ball back to Ederson on though.

There was a simple ball back to Ederson on though.
The ball from Stones comes to Otamendi's left foot, if he was left footed, the ball back to Ederson is very simple. The fact he's naturally right footed forces him to take a touch back on to his right foot, as he's clearly not confident playing that ball back to Ederson under pressure left footed.

It's exactly why I have advocated signing Ake as a Laporte backup before Koulibaly, as that situation even if unpunished happens a dozen times a game. Someone posted a video a while back showing multiple occurances of our problems playing out to that left hand side when Laporte is missing, I wish I had saved a copy. Can't be arsed finding it but whoever posted it might remember and be able to re-post it.

You keep saying defensive errors, name them.

In the 9 games we've lost there was 1 defensive error at Wolves away for their third goal, another two goalkeeping errors from Ederson at Salford. Meanwhile 10 of the goals we conceded came from slow build-up play leading to us getting caught in possession, leaving the defence completely exposed and helpless.

So you can either focus on the tiniest problem of defensive errors or you can focus on improving the build-up play to prevent the attacking errors which have lead directly to most goals we've conceded.

The comment about winning 4 trophies wasn't directed at you, it was completely unrelated to you.

To be honest most opposition goals stem from an error somewhere, I don't specifically remember individual ones, all I know is that we've leaked too many goals with our current defence this season so it needs improving and I believe Koulibaly is the man to do that.

Some very interesting discussion here.

I see it as this. A CB needs to have 4 things to work well at City. They need be reliable at the basics. They need to be able to pass with some composure. They need to be good at being aggressive and pushing forwards defensively, and they need be to pacy (or sharp) enough to deal with long ball in behind them.

Believe it or not the best example of that this season for me was Otamendi at home to Tottenham. It played an important part in keeping Tottenham trapped in their own half for most of the game.

Going forwards I think the issue is more mental than technical. That in itself can have a knock on effect on things.

To be honest most opposition goals stem from an error somewhere, I don't specifically remember individual ones, all I know is that we've leaked too many goals with our current defence this season so it needs improving and I believe Koulibaly is the man to do that.
There's 2-3 minute highlights of every game we play, you don't have to remember individual mistakes. If it happens as frequently as you're insinuating then just pick a couple of games.

I agree that most opposition goals stem from mistakes by the way, however there's so many variables. It could be; individual, group, team, tactical, attacking, transitional, defensive or a combination. However it could also be one of those and/or risk acceptance (e.g. we accept the risk of Ederson getting chipped from 40 yards because the benefits outweight the negatives). My none City mates will scream till they're blue in the face Ederson was at fault for being so far out of his goal though because they judge it as a one off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.