Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well whether we sign him or not, and I'm not for it, at least the forum has concluded he is nothing more than a 6. Incredibly earlier today there were people on here suggesting he could play the 8 role! Sure we need a Fernandinho replacement but this fella is still a downgrade on prime Fernandinho for me, in that I don't think he could ever play emergency full back or centre half and I'm not sure he offers the much of a goal threat in the form of long shots that Fernandinho delivered. I suppose he could best be described as a modern day Nigel De Jong at a ridiculously expensive price?
This is exactly my point.
1) First of all. We have the thinnest squad in the league and we cannot have back-ups. It's quality>quantity for some time. A lot of good aspects, but also a lot of risks, we've seen that, especially against Real Madrid in the semi-final of CL.
2) What does BACK UP mean? We don't have backups in City, mostly because of having 17-18 players plus 3 goalkeepers. So it doesn't make any sense to sign backups for us, because everyone would be playing.
3) Why are we going to lose some quality in terms of signing an average player for 60M£? He is nothing special to me. What extra option is he giving us in terms of pure football skills? We can find exactly the same type of player for half of that price.
4) The main point is probably the dressing room. The fact that he would fit perfectly with Stones, Walker, Foden and especially Grealish, but is that worth overpaying for him 60M£?

I like Philips, but £60m is ridiculous.

Pep/Tkixi know best etc but if De Jong ends up at United for a similar price (reportedly even less), I just fail to see the logic (granted, wages will be a lot higher in FDJ's case - but that's reflective in ability too).

This transfer smells of Ake - a good squad player that will do a job for us, but just not worth the value payed.

I suppose it doesn't really matter to us in the grand scheme of things, but for a board that's quite visibly sensitive about the media taking a pop at our spending, they don't help themselves at times.

Delaney knows nothing though, so will take with a pinch of salt until there are more concrete stories. It's clear we're trying to make this happen though.

The price Frenkie de Jong is going for I’ve changed my mind 60 mil is ludicrous. When De Jong is there for 51 to 59 mil. Who’s triple the quality of Phillips
He’s more than triple the quality. He’s also way more versatile. It’s idiotic they’re “not interested”

The price Frenkie de Jong is going for I’ve changed my mind 60 mil is ludicrous. When De Jong is there for 51 to 59 mil. Who’s triple the quality of Phillips

I held off saying this earlier because you're likely to get the "he's not a DM comments."

But, realistically, I think anyone claiming the drop off between Rodri and de Jong would be more significant than the drop off between Rodri and Kalvin Phillips is kidding themselves.

Plus, we get an extra body in centre mid.

Plus plus, he's actually a quality player.

I held off saying this earlier because you're likely to get the "he's not a DM comments."

But, realistically, I think anyone claiming the drop off between Rodri and de Jong would be more significant than the drop off between Rodri and Kalvin Phillips is kidding themselves.

Plus, we get an extra body in centre mid.

Plus plus, he's actually a quality player.

I’ve said this before De Jongs eye for a pass is scarily similar to Kevin’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.