Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not risk free when he’s taking up squad space and will mean we don’t get someone actually, you know, good. Oh, he knows the league? Let me start listing players from the same position who didn’t and beyond excelled in the league… starting with our own club…
I can't imagine squad places are going to be an issue. We're crying out for more players at the moment. We currently have 19 first team players plus kids. That's almost certainly going down by 2 (Gundogan and Fernandinho) and possibly 3 (Jesus or Mahrez). We've used two of those so far (Haaland and Alvarez). And we absolutely desperately need players in that deeper-lying, reliable passer role. But I agree that we shouldn't sign players just because they're available for cheap. I can't say I've watched Phillips enough to have a strong opinion, other than for England, where he's always looked very good. Obviously the Bielsa style is an argument in his favour too and the price is a bargain.

Ndidi would still be my ideal signing from the PL, but he'd cost a lot. Bissouma would be another good option available on the cheap (although I seem to remember some issue with him recently). Declan Rice if you really want to blow the budget.

Obviously the Bielsa style is an argument in his favour too
We have “two” former Bielsa players in the squad, Laporte and… Benjamin Mendy. I honestly don’t think it adds to much at all.
I would go looking outside the league…

I don’t think you understand my point. Pep works with a limited amount of players. You bring one, that’s one less that will come. If you told me Phillips wouldn’t stop more from coming, then I wouldn’t oppose.
I wasn’t talking about homegrown players
He wouldn’t stop anyone from coming. We are full in the squad in terms of foreign players but we have 3 spare slots for association trained players.

He wouldn’t stop anyone from coming. We are full in the squad in terms of foreign players but we have 3 spare slots for association trained players.
Do we? Or only homegrown?

In the CL, I know only 4 of those slots are for association-trained (Walker, Sterling, Stones, Grealish) and the rest have to be club trained. Not sure about the PL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.