Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you honestly suggesting Frenkie De Jong, one of the most refined midfielders on the planet, can't play the DM role as well as Kalvin Phillips?
???? I just said in a vacuum DeJong is a better footballer...but we're not in a vacuum...there are multiple extenuating circumstances relative to each player's current situation and our needs as Pep views them...

The past 18 months Dinho was a master at being a turnstile with zero pace...
Doesn’t change the fact he was the benchmark for that position and if we do sign Phillips that’s the standards pep looks for. Rodri has done it, hopefully so can Phillips.

Doesn’t change the fact he was the benchmark for that position and if we do sign Phillips that’s the standards pep looks for. Rodri has done it, hopefully so can Phillips.
That's part of my point...I'm not with the club can NEVER, EVER do anything wrong brigade, but I am also not anywhere near on board with the KP sucks crowd...your point that Pep looks for a certain standard and that by all accounts he fancies Phillips leaves me to err on the side of getting him...Saying KP sucks is the equivalent of saying Pep is clueless...saying you don't fancy him is fine, but that he's rubbish, useless, sucks, etc. when Pep obviously touts him is, for me, idiotic, disrespectful (to PEP too), ridiculous, and ignorant...just sayin'...

Mrs Ahmed from the corner shop has a mouth on her but she knows fuck all mate.
The ITK Finder General is on the hunt again. You're relentless, fella. By the way, still happy to send you those pictures of my Aunty if you're keen.

Last edited:
That's part of my point...I'm not with the club can NEVER, EVER do anything wrong brigade, but I am also not anywhere near on board with the KP sucks crowd...your point that Pep looks for a certain standard and that by all accounts he fancies Phillips leaves me to err on the side of getting him...Saying KP sucks is the equivalent of saying Pep is clueless...saying you don't fancy him is fine, but that he's rubbish, useless, sucks, etc. when Pep obviously touts him is, for me, idiotic, disrespectful (to PEP too), ridiculous, and ignorant...just sayin'...
Yeah agree pal. Can’t say he was ever someone that struck me as a city type player, but if pep sees it then I’m all in on it.

???? I just said in a vacuum DeJong is a better footballer...but we're not in a vacuum...there are multiple extenuating circumstances relative to each player's current situation and our needs as Pep views them...
I agree mate, we need to bring in someone who is adept at the DM position. But then the beauty of someone like De Jong is we'd be getting someone adept at several positions across the middle. People suggest he wouldn't want to come to play second fiddle but who is to say it would be Rodri he'd be supplanting? He could just as easily claim another midfield spot as his own. If we're willing to spend £60mil on a midfield addition then why not supplement that with the funds we receive for Jesus/Sterling and bring in a bona-fide world class midfielder. We won't need another attacker in my opinion, not with how we're currently looking, and we're at the starting point of reinventing our midfield. Gundo has one season left. Kev probably has two seasons of his best football left. Bernie, if we're brutally honest with ourselves, wants to leave and will likely do so in one season max. And we've just lost one of the finest midfielders to ever pull on our shirt. Midfield is *the* vital component of a football team, moreover a Pep team, and we need to keep it stacked with the very best in my opinion.

I've banged this drum ad infinitum now, so in the spirit of diplomacy I'll make this my last post on the player; I don't think Kalvin Phillips is good enough for us; that's my opinion on him in condensed form. I think he has deficiencies that will be exposed the moment he plays alongside the rest of our midfield. Last night did nothing to assuage my apprehension; I know it was a one off match and they were poor as a collective, but I still expected to see something, anything. And nobody is going to convince me the club can't find better for £60mil. It's a ludicrous fee that, given his form of the last year, cannot be justified.

Anyway, like I say, it's looking certain that he'll be pulling on our Sky Blue, so I'll get behind him because that's my obligation as a supporter. I just pray he proves me, and many others, wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.