Kalvin Phillips | On loan at West Ham

Always makes me laugh when I hear how footballers are “close to their family”. It’s one of those cliches that’s trotted out all the time.

Who isn’t? Unless you’ve had some big trauma in your life everyone’s close to their family ffs.
It usually means they get homesick if they live more than 60 miles from Mummy.

It could be that the gurning stuff is him over compensating. He might actually be really insecure and anxious and just puts on that persona to mask it as a coping mechanism.

I’m no psychologist but that’s what it screams of to me.

If not then he really should be embarrassed by it.
Its almost a sign of his embarrassment that he has won so much with zero personal input. He is at a critical point, if he stays and fails which every indicator says will happen, he has effectively bombed his career within two seasons. If he admits now he would be a better fit at a different team he still has a chance to repair the damage.

If Nunes arrives thats a death sentence for Phillips in terms of playing time. As things stand now if Rodri would get an injury we sooner see a Stones-Akanji midfield pair than any combination of Phillips in it. Add Nunes to the mix, and he is even getting less game time from Pep. and he played like 300 minutes in PL last season. Majority was once we clinched the title in like 37th and 38th round.

Why would he when he can earn a fuck ton without any stress or responsibility for the next five years.

Annoying when we have people like Cole wanting to leave to get more minutes and then people like Kalvin who’s more than happy going through the motions.
It's strange, you'd think with the Euro's next summer that would be an incentive for him to start playing regularly this season.

Depends on the effort behind the scenes, is he just not that level but giving everything he has to try and get there, or is he just half arsing it.
I see the effort on the field, or lack of it, a player going through the motions, IF he wants to be part of it , great, but would you not be busting your guts out on the grass?

The two things that have changed my mind on him, from thinking "he could still make it" to "we need to cut out losses";

1. When he got back from the world cup, it wasn't the drama over the weight gain, but the fact he took the full week or two weeks all the players got afterwards. He'd been out for the first half of the season in a team that's hard to break into and the club had supported him in undergoing surgery to get him fit for the world cup - then he barely played, a few mins here and there. Then took a long break, that sure he was entitled to, but for someone who should be hungry to break into a team he really should have been doing everything he could, he should have wanted to be back sooner than the rest.

2. And this ties into the first one, he keeps going on about "all players perform better in their second season" and if you watch his documentary on Amazon his agent does too. The problem is, it clicks in the second season if you are playing, and if you haven't been then showing up and training hard isn't enough, you need to be doing extra. And I just get the impression from his documentary and his quotes that, lovely guy, but he thinks it will just click if he keeps doing what he is doing.

If it's a wage issue, send him on loan and pay the difference.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.