Kalvin Phillips | On loan at West Ham

I think you're missing it's everyday training where players earn their shirt to start the next match or not.
We never see that, Pep does! Pep and his staff are watching how they move, behave, talk, when they arrive and leave, physios know any single muscle and blood status.
We only see the end product of this perfectly managed organization on the pitch. And are blessed. Like many neutral fans.

We also should take for granted all the rules for players are made very clear upfront. We are on the historical mission to be the 1st PL club to win 4 on the trot. Everyone is expected to give more than 100%.

There is no point of what you call man-management, not for Pep. If a player doesn't offer what's requested he won't play, full stop.

It took me some time to understand that Pep doesn't want the role of a motivational coach for players, like we traditionally know it from sports managers. Pep starts one level above all that to get to the very top. He simply doesn't have the time, nor energy or interest to convince some player to be great.

That's why we have started to only sign players who already have the personality that's needed to work with Pep on a fascinating level.
All of which suggests poor/inadequate research etc by the club in advance of Kalvin Phillips transfer from Leeds.

My biggest concern is the way and extent that many of our fans have piled on to KP without any real evidence, in reaction to Pep's apparent 'dislike' / 'distrust' of the player since the World Cup.

I never thought the lad was good enough for elite level football when he was at Leeds, and was surprised when we signed him. The whole situation makes me think that Pep doesn't have as much input or influence on transfers as many seem to think.

I remember Denis Leman. He was always on the team photos at that time. I also remember standing on the scoreboard end or the Clairmont Road end before it was the North Stand. When the North Stand was completed , City used to do first team updates on the scoreboard. How times have changed. Less is more, somehow.
For some reason I remember watching a guy called Paul Smith a cracking midfielder who did his knee good and proper just as he was about to break through. My first experience of stadium football, those reserve games.

Would be like Sancho all over again - the ultimate hype job based purely on him leaving City.
Sancho's mistake was leaving Dortmund.
Phillips mistake was leaving Leeds.

Bad mistakes that have stuck millions more than they would have got in their bank accounts.

At the end of the day, two round pegs in square holes.

Bad mistakes that have stuck millions more than they would have got in their bank accounts.

Phillips has got 4 medals since leaving Leeds. Doubt he sees it as a mistake

Agreed, yes.

And both players are still young enough to move elsewhere and get their careers back on track.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.