Kalvin Phillips

I agree he's been off the pace, but I think that's down to his own pressure to catch up and be 'as good' as his team mates.

However, almost everyone has had a learning curve and he's no exception to this as not everyone has an acute footballing brain under pressure.

Kyle Walker is a PERFECT example of this as he's only found proper belief in his footballing ability in the last... two years? And not just his pace. If it wasn't for his pace, he'd have gone ages ago.
I get where you are coming from but no need to take Kyle down. He's been in top form for about 4 years

Are you uncomfortable if Ederson gets injured and we have to play Ortega? Are you uncomfortable if Haaland gets injured and we have to play Alvarez?
A little but no more than I am If Rodri gets injured and we have to play whoever Pep decides to play there .

I agree he's been off the pace, but I think that's down to his own pressure to catch up and be 'as good' as his team mates.

However, almost everyone has had a learning curve and he's no exception to this as not everyone has an acute footballing brain under pressure.

Kyle Walker is a PERFECT example of this as he's only found proper belief in his footballing ability in the last... two years? And not just his pace. If it wasn't for his pace, he'd have gone ages ago.
Phillips had last season’s preseason and the entire season to “learn”, how much longer does he need before people start admitting?
Your reading that Walker has only found himself in the last two years is completely crazy. But I assume this means you’re willing to give Phillips another three years? Easiest job in the world

It’s not silly. Phillips is the exception. You are acting as if Phillips had a typical first season. He played less in his first season than any other signing under Pep. We all saw this, several moments in which he could have been subbed on or even games he should have started if he had the MINIMAL trust from Pep, and he didn’t.

Haaland’s adaptation period comes from a system change, but he always delivered and helped the team move forward. He is also a young player. Alvarez always delivered when asked as well.

You’d think Phillips even had an advantage over Alvarez, Akanji and Haaland as he had PL experience, and not even that helped him

Okay, this is what I'll say, otherwise we're going to go around in circles; if he's not sold in this window you (like Guardiola and CFG will have given him another chance) will have to put down your pitchfork and give him the chance to turn his career around.

A little but no more than I am If Rodri gets injured and we have to play whoever Pep decides to play there .
I will respect your opinion, but for me Ortega for Ederson and Alvarez for Haaland is one thing, Phillips for Rodri is capable of compromising the entire team

Okay, this is what I'll say, otherwise we're going to go around in circles; if he's not sold in this window you (like Guardiola and CFG will have given him another chance) will have to put down your pitchfork and give him the chance to turn his career around.
Let’s be clear for once, he isn’t staying because he is being given a chance. The club was open to selling him and there have been approaches. He is staying because he doesn’t want to leave and legally can’t be forced to.
I don’t need to give him a chance either. I support the club and the team. Whenever we play, I want us to win. He played today and I hoped he would have done well. I critique him for what I have seen and my concerns are because I believe he is a serious liability

I get where you are coming from but no need to take Kyle down. He's been in top form for about 4 years

You misjudge me or I've not represented myself very well on Walker.

I'm a HUGE admirer of Walker's ability to get himself out of trouble, but that's pace relient. His actual footballing acumen hasn't showed itself until within the last 2 years as he makes better weighted passing decisions now.

That has taken some time to develop since he's been with us for 5 years.

Let’s be clear for once, he isn’t staying because he is being given a chance. The club was open to selling him and there have been approaches. He is staying because he doesn’t want to leave and legally can’t be forced to.
I don’t need to give him a chance either. I support the club and the team. Whenever we play, I want us to win. He played today and I hoped he would have done well. I critique him for what I have seen and my concerns are because I believe he is a serious liability

Do you think he played rubbish in this friendly, yes or no?

Name me a single player that hasn't said they found the first season under Guardiola really hard?

Guardiola is always reinventing the system, so if you're an old head/ regular player under him, he'd rather play you than a newbie trying to take it all in.

Lewis was shiny for all of 5/6 games before being dropped as he lost trust. And that's a kid coming through the youth set up under Guardiola/ CFG play book, nevermind a newbie, coming from a team where he was regularly rushed back from surgery, that's not experienced it before.

Maybe you don't really take in how Guardiola does things on the pitch?
All those players that have struggled in the first season showed promising signs, however fleeting. You could see them coming good through the integration period.

We haven't seen a single thing from Phillips. In fact, he barely featured at the back end of last season when he could have done, he wasn't even given the meaningless minutes; and I would argue that's because Pep realises he's made a mistake with him. We were ready to pay £90mil on Declan Rice; that tells you all you need to know about the regard Phillips is held in.

If Rodri gets injured next season (heaven fucking forbid), I'm willing to bet £100 with any poster on here that Phillips doesn't come in for him. He seems like a lovely lad, and I'm sure he's a good energy in the dressing room, but he just isn't good enough.

All those players that have struggled in the first season showed promising signs, however fleeting. You could see them coming good through the integration period.

We haven't seen a single thing from Phillips. In fact, he barely featured at the back end of last season when he could have done, he wasn't even given the meaningless minutes; and I would argue that's because Pep realises he's made a mistake with him. We were ready to pay £90mil on Declan Rice; that tells you all you need to know about the regard Phillips is held in.

If Rodri gets injured next season (heaven fucking forbid), I'm willing to bet £100 with any poster on here that Phillips doesn't come in for him. He seems like a lovely lad, and I'm sure he's a good energy in the dressing room, but he just isn't good enough.

In those games, Phillips finally played, made forward passes, not the safe stuff he did from the subs bench, joined in with the last third, had shots (hit the bar once) and got his confidence up.

For me, that's progression.

Phillips isn't here to replace Rodri. When Rodri goes off the formation changes cos, no matter who we have, there is no replacement for Rodri. We are back in our Yaya/ Fernandinho/ Silva phase for irreplaceable players and Rodri is next.

Some of our fans need to stop comparing players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.