Kalvin Phillips

I think the only attribute he has is that of a 'tackling machine' - fair tackles, mind. Passing, reading the game, being in the right place should be ingrained by now, but they appear to be lacking! He's the kind of player we've had over and over again in the dark, dismal, despairing days, and he would have stood out! But in a stellar cast of world class players, playing where he does . . . . . Mmmmmm!

No hate for him & wish him well, but I don't think he is at the level needed to be at City. Does anyone seriously want him anywhere near the starting line up for the Arsenal game? I don't.

Agreed. Think it's better for both parties if he moves on. He isn't at our level, but would stand out in a mid table team

I think the only attribute he has is that of a 'tackling machine' - fair tackles, mind. Passing, reading the game, being in the right place should be ingrained by now, but they appear to be lacking! He's the kind of player we've had over and over again in the dark, dismal, despairing days, and he would have stood out! But in a stellar cast of world class players, playing where he does . . . . . Mmmmmm!
Do you think he's a tackling machine? I think one of his weakest attributes is his physicality. He's weak as fuck. Never wins a shoulder to shoulder/duel/50-50. Joelinton, Isak, Murphy all bullied him in the first 15 mins yesterday. People constantly running off him.

Not sure if it's a confidence thing but he's just not up to in in any sense and I've been quite vociferous in my defence of him. Time to draw a line under it in January/end of the season.

I don't see him having a future with us. I just don't see how the pile on on him helps matters. Constructive criticism is always welcome; you could even say necessary. But there's a minority (at the moment) of posts on here about him that aren't particularly constructive. Stuff like "he's shit, get rid", or "what a waste of money" don't add much to the discussion, in my opinion. Maybe it's the happy clapper in me!
There’s a pretty stark breakdown of opinions.

I think most people are of the view that he isn’t good enough, but stop short of any major personal criticism. Frankly, he doesn’t play enough to cause any real problems for the team, so he’s unlikely to ever become a real scapegoat in the way that people like Edghill did.

A few people offer a stronger view, but not many, and probably not as many as the people who continue to talk him up, despite all the evidence to the contrary. In fact these people will probably never change their stance, as Phillips is unlikely to ever get enough minutes to bring about a change of view.

Not really sure why people think there's a pile on. It might seem that way, but it is a thread purely about him and his performances, so where else to discuss how he does in his rare appearances?

First half I thought he played well. A bit slow occasionally resulting in losing the ball or giving a foul away, but not bad. He had a fair bit of time and he generally played at a level that would be ok on a regular basis.

However then they brought on Gordon, who is nothing but speed and effort, and Bruno, who is a very good all round midfielder. Everything changed as a result and Phillips stopped being given time, started losing it and started hiding because he isn't good enough under pressure or in tight spaces.

If all opposition sides know they just need to press him, then he'll end up as a massive weak point in the way we play whenever he's on the pitch.

Unfortunate when he starts games he is never in a full strength team , similar to Brentford & Brighton last season we played a vastly weakened teams , if he started alongside Rodri et al , i am sure he would look a more capable player.
Did Kovacic look the same player without Rodri alongside him ? No he didnt , but Phillips doesnt do himself any favours by looking ponderous and always playing the sideways/backward negative pass , he appears to be a popular squad member and plays with a smile on his face but we have got a cheerleader in Scott Carson we do not need another on £100k a week and costing £45m , Phillips needs a fresh start at a less ambitious and demanding club , i believe the Dippers are interested :)

Started 5 games for us since he arrived.

Chelsea at home in the league after it had been won. We won 1-0.
Brentford away. We lost 1-0.
Bristol City away in the FA Cup. We won 3-0.
Southampton away in the EFL Cup. We lost 2-0.
Plus last night.

He doesn’t know where to be. He can’t pass a ball first time and he can’t recover when taken on.

There aren’t many players Pep can’t improve, but sadly Kalvin is one.

Can’t see him starting again for us, barring an injury crisis.

Last edited:
There’s a pretty stark breakdown of opinions.

I think most people are of the view that he isn’t good enough, but stop short of any major personal criticism. Frankly, he doesn’t play enough to cause any real problems for the team, so he’s unlikely to ever become a real scapegoat in the way that people like Edghill did.

A few people offer a stronger view, but not many, and probably not as many as the people who continue to talk him up, despite all the evidence to the contrary. In fact these people will probably never change their stance, as Phillips is unlikely to ever get enough minutes to bring about a change of view.
I did say a minority. And there isn't anywhere near as many talking him up. Trust me. I try to keep an eye on the match threads, and watch out for needless abuse. There's very few bigging him up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.