Kalvin Phillips

How does he get called for England's national team if he doesn't play? He must have a good agent, he obviously does if he ended up in City in the first place.
Southgate does pick other players who are not regular first teamers, including a very obvious one.
Will be interesting how long he keeps selecting Henderson, now that he plays in Saudi Arabia ?
Hopefully Southgate gives certain City players, especially Walker & Foden, a rest versus Australia.
But, think Grealish & Stones could both do with a run out...

It's still surprising that people think Txiki will Sign anyone without Pep's okay

People need to realise Txiki and Pep work as a team. Txiki and scouts bring players and Pep okays it. We are not Chelsea. Phillips was Pep signing.
The only disagreement I can remember was Alexis. Pep wanted him but Txiki said no, his legs have gone. It took a meeting of all the bigwigs to sort it out. Dodged a bullet there.
Maguire I think was blocked on cost grounds which is part of agreed strategy. Second bullet dodged. Dias ain’t a bad alternative!
All in all we have a good system, few bad mistakes, plenty of triumphs.

Last edited:
It's still surprising that people think Txiki will Sign anyone without Pep's okay

People need to realise Txiki and Pep work as a team. Txiki and scouts bring players and Pep okays it. We are not Chelsea. Phillips was Pep signing.
Why doesn't he play then!?

Quite simple really, he wouldn't trust Kalvin to put his bins out.

He might have "OK'd" it, but theres not a chance Pep said go and get me Kalvin Phillips from Leeds.

He might have "OK'd" it, but theres not a chance Pep said go and get me Kalvin Phillips from Leeds.
State of this comment. He saw Phillips in training closely saw his skills appetite and judged he is not good

Kalvin looked good at Leeds and pep is good at improving players. Now he’s seen him play he’s decided he’s shite

The Bielsa factor here was massive for Pep. He probably raved about Phillips (and rightly given his performances under him) and not to mention that KP was England's POTY just before we got him.

He's a good player. Just not one that's good enough in a team that relies heavily on controlling the game and especially when he's the one in charge of tempo.

He's good when the midfield needs bite, tenacity and a good passing range - he'd suit the dippers IMO. And the rags. But not us.

We live and learn, hopefully he gets a move to West Ham and we get a discounted Paqueta.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.