Kalvin Phillips

Pep said Phillips can not fit into his plans, But you watch when somebody puts him into a team to face Pep and City he will look world-class, Maybe Pep can work on a new basic system (442) when Rodri is out or we play a team that does not need the system

At the moment Pep is hell-bent on making the system work with cover players who are running around puzzled or making the system look bad, Pep does not have a plan B and this is why we are struggling
He looked to be working on a plan B when we went up and played Newcastle United in the League Cup. For 45 minutes we were excellent. I would go so far as to say that it was arguably one of the most purposeful performances of the season so far. I know we didn’t score in that half, but our ball retention, movement, and passing suggested that we were working on something different that would move the ball at greater pace and wouldn’t depend on Rodri. Unfortunately, Howe decided to reinforce his side at the break with heavyweights and that exposed our youth, inexperience, and lack of physique.

Clearly wasn't a player that Pep wanted.

The club needs to do better for him in the transfer market.
Nonsense.

City wont change a light bulb without Pep knowing.

He saw him at Leeds, had several hours of chats with Bielsa and thought he might be able to come in and do a job. Hasn't happened, is what it is and everyone will move on.

Bollocks.

Guardiola himself said a few weeks back that he was ‘obsessed’ with Phillips under Bielsa. He just didn’t realise how limited a player he was until he saw him up close everyday.

He looked to be working on a plan B when we went up and played Newcastle United in the League Cup. For 45 minutes we were excellent. I would go so far as to say that it was arguably one of the most purposeful performances of the season so far. I know we didn’t score in that half, but our ball retention, movement, and passing suggested that we were working on something different that would move the ball at greater pace and wouldn’t depend on Rodri. Unfortunately, Howe decided to reinforce his side at the break with heavyweights and that exposed our youth, inexperience, and lack of physique.

Things do not look right at the moment, Maybe the Fifa World Club trophy is a major thing the club wants to win,
But the Villa game was shocking on all parts, Even Pep had to hold his hands up and say Villa was the better team and we were not at it,

Pep is a very clever manager and I think he's got a Premier League simulator machine and works out the new season before Pre-season, But to watch the Villa game and the players he picked in midfield and players on the bench it looked like he just waved it away and give Villa the 3 points.

The stats from that game are crazy and so far off the normal for City stats for a game, Yes, you could put it down as City having an off day, But everybody from the Pep to the players having an off day does not happen, Pep letting his standers drop is very worrying, and the after match interview and today pre-match interview that buzz or the look is was not there, Pep's look in his eyes speaks volumes, the body language and I can see and feel the pain, He knows and everybody else knows its not good enough

Things do not look right at the moment, Maybe the Fifa World Club trophy is a major thing the club wants to win,
But the Villa game was shocking on all parts, Even Pep had to hold his hands up and say Villa was the better team and we were not at it,

Pep is a very clever manager and I think he's got a Premier League simulator machine and works out the new season before Pre-season, But to watch the Villa game and the players he picked in midfield and players on the bench it looked like he just waved it away and give Villa the 3 points.

The stats from that game are crazy and so far off the normal for City stats for a game, Yes, you could put it down as City having an off day, But everybody from the Pep to the players having an off day does not happen, Pep letting his standers drop is very worrying, and the after match interview and today pre-match interview that buzz or the look is was not there, Pep's look in his eyes speaks volumes, the body language and I can see and feel the pain, He knows and everybody else knows its not good enough
We are unfortunate that certain players have picked up injuries at the same time, though the management knew that was inevitable given the workload last year and the the build up of games over consecutive seasons. The 'fun' of the last few weeks is about to stop, and I think we'll now go back to a style of football with which we have become more familiar. Kovacic, Grealish, and Bernardo will be key in that happening, with Foden, Alvarez, and Doku having to be rotated in and out, maybe even Haaland as well. That means Guardiola is going to have to deal with deflated egos but that comes with the territory. The questions that will need to be answered are whether we can score enough when playing more pragmatically, especially when Haaland repeatedly misfires, and, more importantly, what do we do when Rodri is again unavailable?

Nah come on, he was wanted. He's just been fucked by that shoulder/back injury and can't move anymore. Pep thought we were signing a different player to the one we got. It happens sometimes.

Sadly it's not worked on the pitch but by all accounts he's stayed professional and kept his spirits up. He's not let it affect anyone else in the dressing room - that's another key thing for me.

The other lads all like him and, however small his role was, he was involved in our treble-winning season. He's not a legend. He's not even a cult hero. Just a signing that didn't work out.

Goes with my best wishes.

It ‘s Pep’s way of saying to Phillips in public it’s time to move on mate, and to ‘play football’ at another club.

Bollocks.

Guardiola himself said a few weeks back that he was ‘obsessed’ with Phillips under Bielsa. He just didn’t realise how limited a player he was until he saw him up close everyday.

I'm not saying he was forced on Pep but one that wasn't in his thinking until they had gone through other targets first.

If Pep did want him as a top target that it is a rare mistake, can't think of any other like him.

Last edited:
Why did Pep buy the lad in the first place then ? i knew this statement was coming because Rodri was suspended against Villa , KDB not back quiet back yet.... but Kalvin was still on the bench, it ain't happening for him at City but he seems to to be fit enough and play ok for England imo, so you just know he will be loaned come January. shame, but whatever happens Pep is right on one thing, he deserves better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.