Kalvin Phillips

Players get burnt out over time. The more seasons he has playing this number, the more likely it becomes that something will go wrong. There's also the chance somebody injures him.

You could be right, I hope so. As long as Pep can pick and choose when to rest him then we're fine. If something happens and he can't play against the best teams, that's when we could be in trouble.
If he gets injured then that is life. We adapt and move forward. If that is Phillips, Kovacic or maybe even Stones or Ake. Pep is not going to just stockpile players

If he gets injured then that is life. We adapt and move forward. If that is Phillips, Kovacic or maybe even Stones or Ake. Pep is not going to just stockpile players

Agree. We have the right amount of players for the position, the problem is one of them is possibly not the level needed. Hopefully he steps up, but it needs to happen soon - both for us and for his own career.

The phrase "game of fewest mistakes" comes from golf but has a lot of applications in football as well.Most players including Kalvin can do some good things but my doubt is how frequently he gets it wrong, especially in a team like city who don't sit back it can be very costly. Wish him luck but think city's system maybe too difficult for his touch lack of quickness of turn,feet etc. Think his passing and tackling etc would suit most teams in top half.
Definitely concerned how this maps out.Might just get away with it keeping it very simple but like others not sure he's the right material.

The phrase "game of fewest mistakes" comes from golf but has a lot of applications in football as well.Most players including Kalvin can do some good things but my doubt is how frequently he gets it wrong, especially in a team like city who don't sit back it can be very costly. Wish him luck but think city's system maybe too difficult for his touch lack of quickness of turn,feet etc. Think his passing and tackling etc would suit most teams in top half.
Definitely concerned how this maps out.Might just get away with it keeping it very simple but like others not sure he's the right material.
Agree the difference between shining for a team trying to win things and shining in a team just treading water is consistency. Its ok playing fantastically well in 1 out of 3 games when you only need to hit 40 points but when you need to be hitting 90 you can't make mistakes and need to be on it in virtually every game. Your called out for the games you got it wrong in his position as it is. We have been blessed with De Jong, Barry , Fernandinho and Rodri operating in the defensive midfielder role with each in my view being an improvement on the last (harsh on Fernandinho but its true). Hoping Phillips can step up and be useful cover but need convincing he has it in him.

Doubt it west ham apparently, who are looking for a player in his position see Gallagher at £40 million as the player they need.

Having watched him at Chelsea, I have absolutely no idea what his best position is/ supposed to be, but nothing comparable to Rice imo.

The lad doesn't want to go so of course West Ham have moved onto other targets or is your point if they want to spend 40m on Gallagher we are getting half that for Phillips

Alternatively, if West Ham are prepared to pay £40m for Gallagher, they are having their pants firmly pulled down.

I watched that Amazon film about Kalvin Philips last night. That’s an hour of my life I’ll never get back. Pretty much just a load of self-produced waffle about what a lovely guy he is and how much he loves Leeds.

Now I'm sure he is a lovely lad etc but needs to step up or step off massively this season.

Players get burnt out over time. The more seasons he has playing this number, the more likely it becomes that something will go wrong. There's also the chance somebody injures him.

You could be right, I hope so. As long as Pep can pick and choose when to rest him then we're fine. If something happens and he can't play against the best teams, that's when we could be in trouble.
He's obviously pretty resilient, but I also wonder if the game he plays is less demanding physically.

He has to cover a lot of ground, and is involved in play a lot, but he's not making long, fast runs, or being hacked down a lot.

I also think we haven't really seen Kalvin playing in a full strength side. Until he's slotted into the first 11, with everyone comfortable with their roles around him, then I don't think we know how he'll cope against better teams. It's also quite likely that he won't be expected to play exactly the same way as Rodri - he's clearly a bit more reactive, and his passing is arguably more expansive - so when he's in a fully organised team, Stones, for example, might be given more of a covering role, while Phillips has more freedom.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.