Kalvin Phillips

Is he any good?
Along side kudus and Paqueta, he has been their stand out player for the Hammers. He has been very important to their Middlefield. Calm, vision, he can find space, good on the ball, deep creator and grit. We can tweak a few things about him or maybe not #cough( Fernandinho dark arts).

Leeds fan here:

He wasn't slow at Leeds at all, his mobility was one of his strengths. He was routinely able to come into the right positions during 2018-21, but I've generally thought that was more about Bielsa's system than Kalvin.

Though this was also after some injury issues, I was distinctly unimpressed by his performances under Jesse Marsch.

Another poster above was right that his long passing is his only elite attribute. I did think his mobility and pressing was there too for us but it's not now.
Thanks for posting.

Given the above, were you surprised that we signed him when we did, even if he may have been signed on the basis of what he did under Bielsa, rather than Marsch?

Personally I’ve never really understood why we bought him, as I was never massively impressed by him (plus his injury record), although admittedly I probably didn’t watch enough of him at Leeds to be certain of that.

Clearly, since he signed for us, his performances have been inadequate, but I’d be interesting to hear your view on whether what you’ve seen of him at City (limited evidence admittedly) is similar to his final season at Leeds - as your post suggests - or whether his form has just been unusually bad since he joined us.

It’s certainly been a very strange signing for us and hopefully we can move him on next month.

Leeds fan here:

He wasn't slow at Leeds at all, his mobility was one of his strengths. He was routinely able to come into the right positions during 2018-21, but I've generally thought that was more about Bielsa's system than Kalvin.

Though this was also after some injury issues, I was distinctly unimpressed by his performances under Jesse Marsch.

Another poster above was right that his long passing is his only elite attribute. I did think his mobility and pressing was there too for us but it's not now.
Cheers, I appreciate your input!

People claiming Kalvin was (is) slow have never watched him playing for Leeds. Under Bielsa he was covering larger pitch area are than Rodri and very often he was playing inbetween his CBs, both defending and starting most of their attacks from the back.
I never heard him blaming Bielsa for getting crocked, but his shoulder injuries and Pep being Pep worked against him. I really liked him as a player and hope he goes to Newcastle or Juventus or wherever and smash it.

Thanks for posting.

Given the above, were you surprised that we signed him when we did, even if he may have been signed on the basis of what he did under Bielsa, rather than Marsch?

Personally I’ve never really understood why we bought him, as I was never massively impressed by him (plus his injury record), although admittedly I probably didn’t watch enough of him at Leeds to be certain of that.

Clearly, since he signed for us, his performances have been inadequate, but I’d be interesting to hear your view on whether what you’ve seen of him at City (limited evidence admittedly) is similar to his final season at Leeds - as your post suggests - or whether his form has just been unusually bad since he joined us.

It’s certainly been a very strange signing for us and hopefully we can move him on next month.

To go from a structural football positioning system to a Pep's total football system.. is very hard for some players to grasp.

It's about not just about giving top performances but knowing positions to be in and positions to anticipate and cover if someone else changes positions.

The biggest example of this is our Arsenal away win in the 21-22 season (I believe it was new years day).. like what were Rodri and Laporte doing there as center forwards right at the end?

Anyone who chews gum whilst playing is clearly not putting 100% in, you can’t run flat out chewing gum for 90 mins, good chance you’d swallow the fucker or spit it out. Nice lad not good enough, bye.
Are you suggesting grealish doesn’t put 100% in?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.