Kalvin Phillips

Genuine question. I've never been quite clear as to who “picks up the tab” (as the Americans have it) on loans. Surely it's not the club loaning the player out? Why would they actually pay for one of their players to be playing for another team? Or is that written into their contract at the outset? I always presumed that it's the club accommodating the player who pays their salary. I'm also not sure about what that salary has to be. Does it have to be contractually equal to what they were being paid at the loaning club?
I assume in most cases with high paid players is it’s a split between the two clubs. Agree it’s bonkers to send out players without the other club paying anything because at least they have something invested. With Philips I wonder if Pep has decided he will never play for us so loan to buy would be good option.

The main flaw I see with Philips, is his lack of mobiility, He don't move into the right positions, he's slow, he almost seems to actively hide when he shoud be getting in a position to receive a pass.

Was he like this at Leeds?
He was the same player at Leeds and is the same player for England, he is slow, he is unaware, never an elite player, not even a top player long passing apart.

He could be our Kalvin Phillips replacement, like Stones, he can play both CDM and CB!

The main flaw I see with Philips, is his lack of mobiility, He don't move into the right positions, he's slow, he almost seems to actively hide when he shoud be getting in a position to receive a pass.

Was he like this at Leeds?
Leeds fan here:

He wasn't slow at Leeds at all, his mobility was one of his strengths. He was routinely able to come into the right positions during 2018-21, but I've generally thought that was more about Bielsa's system than Kalvin.

Though this was also after some injury issues, I was distinctly unimpressed by his performances under Jesse Marsch.

Another poster above was right that his long passing is his only elite attribute. I did think his mobility and pressing was there too for us but it's not now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.