Kalvin Phillips

No club in the world will match his contract, that's the issue.

The only way he leaves permanently is that we pay him off.

His contract at city is 7.5m a year think he has 3 years left that's a 23m contract overall! Think 10m is fair..

I understand the issues surrounding him and trying to find a long term solution, but don't understand why the club decided upon a 6 year contract for him.

Does anybody know why the club chose to go down this route, as it seems so out of character - or am I wrong on this aspect ?

No club in the world will match his contract, that's the issue.

The only way he leaves permanently is that we pay him off.

This is it.

So much recruitment nowadays is stats-based. Clubs have to be careful what they spend, so they're after a bargain. These potentially come from lower leagues, academies or abroad. They don't come from signing players on top money, for a decent sized fee, who are 28, have had one good season in the top flight and have had injury issues.

So clubs are careful and they analyse performance. What right-minded club could justify signing him based on the last 2 seasons?

And even if somebody would be interested, what are they really hoping for from him? That he gets back to being an average Premier League level player? Because that's the best he's been.

He can want a permanent move all he likes, but if he manages to get one it really will signify that the club he's joining are a basketcase.

I understand the issues surrounding him and trying to find a long term solution, but don't understand why the club decided upon a 6 year contract for him.

Does anybody know why the club chose to go down this route, as it seems so out of character - or am I wrong on this aspect ?
"but don't understand why the club decided upon a 6 year contract for him."

Utterly bizarre and so unlike us

Every aspect of the transfer was wrong.

The type of player he is.
The wages.
The contract length.
The amount we paid.

This is not a hindsight post. I was vocal before and during us buying him. He wasn’t a good fit. We should never have gone in for a player of his standard.
It was all bizarre.
The Pep/Bielsa relationship might have something to do with it.

Every aspect of the transfer was wrong.

The type of player he is.
The wages.
The contract length.
The amount we paid.

This is not a hindsight post. I was vocal before and during us buying him. He wasn’t a good fit. We should never have gone in for a player of his standard.
It was all bizarre.
The Pep/Bielsa relationship might have something to do with it.

Totally agree, especially about the influence Bielsa had on Pep.

I think we signed Phillips hoping he'd be a capable backup for Rodri. I hope this teaches us not to try and sign backups though, because if they don't achieve the level hoped for, they just aren't good enough.

We need to sign players we think could potentially push the first choice out of the team, however crazy that may seem. That way, if they don't quite hit that level then there's still possibly an able backup there.

Saw this earlier, from a few years back. It mention Phillips' strengths, but also mentions him getting dispossessed and dribbled past as weaknesses. If the numbers were out there, why did we still think he could be okay? Bizarre.

Totally agree, especially about the influence Bielsa had on Pep.

I think we signed Phillips hoping he'd be a capable backup for Rodri. I hope this teaches us not to try and sign backups though, because if they don't achieve the level hoped for, they just aren't good enough.

We need to sign players we think could potentially push the first choice out of the team, however crazy that may seem. That way, if they don't quite hit that level then there's still possibly an able backup there.

Saw this earlier, from a few years back. It mention Phillips' strengths, but also mentions him getting dispossessed and dribbled past as weaknesses. If the numbers were out there, why did we still think he could be okay? Bizarre.

confirmed play him like we did Jesus upfront. work horse.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.