Kamala Harris

And again -- the Democrats have NOT been "in power for years" -- it's getting tiresome giving civics lesson on how the American Congress works.

This is why I don't spend time on the UK politics threads -- because I'm smart enough to know I don't understand the mechanics over there well enough to add value or to have an opinion.
Honest comment. I don't understand how US politics works, and I spend a lot of time talking to American friends (all Democrats) about it on their annual trips to drink in Manc pubs.

I've never understood what the President can or can't do himself, outside starting or ending wars. For example, What can they actually do about women's reproductive rights if states have their own powers ? What did Trump actually DO in his first 3 years to keep the economy ticking before Covid ?

"People keep falling for the same stupid trick"

An interesting and thoughtful perspective. There's a lot of truth in this, painful as it is to hear as a centrist. Of course, its criticism without alternatives, though I am sure somewhere else he offers some.

I do wonder if he would have walked any of this back had he lived to see January 6th, 2021.

Last edited:
Honest comment. I don't understand how US politics works, and I spend a lot of time talking to American friends (all Democrats) about it on their annual trips to drink in Manc pubs.

I've never understood what the President can or can't do himself, outside starting or ending wars. For example, What can they actually do about women's reproductive rights if states have their own powers ? What did Trump actually DO in his first 3 years to keep the economy ticking before Covid ?
He/she can't really (or isn't supposed to be able to) start or end wars without Congressional approval either. Of course, what is a "war"?

The answer to your second question is, basically, nothing. The Supreme Court ultimately made that call. Now, in many states, the people will via the referendum process.

The third question requires a lot of work, including an understanding of an Executive Order, which I don't really have, but the President can jawbone economic stimulus measures and sign them into law if they pass Congress (or veto them too, though his/her veto can be overridden).

The old civics saw is Congress makes laws, the President executes laws, and the Judiciary interprets laws.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.