Keir Starmer

That’s not correct.

Following additional allegations in 2012 Starmer asked his Principal Legal Advisor to review the decision to not prosecute in 2009. He didn’t introduce a new role.

He did indeed then propose new processes to avoid a further repeat.

There is no evidence to suggest he was involved in the decision to not prosecute in 2009. His problem here is that he goes around telling people how he was involved in prosecuting x, y and z but then denies having a clue about this. He’s likely guilty of inflating his involvement in x, y, and z.

From what I've read Alison Levitt was already being tasked with looking out for systematic issues, and this came to him, and then he asked her to review the decision.

As you say there was no evidence that anything came to him in 2009. He must have been doing something, as the OP suggested, so is it not likely that he was heavily involved in some cases that were flagged up as priorities? (I'm guessing your first x, y, and z and different cases to your second x, y and z?)

In situations like this you’re better off fronting it out and repenting in private.

Here is what is going to happen next. He is going to face questions on why does he not think it is appropriate to accept these in future? Does you think you shouldn’t have accepted them? Do you have poor judgment or are you dishonest? Are you going to continue to accept other gifts? What’s the difference between one gift and another?

This is going to get much more coverage now than if they’d just ignored it and quietly said “no more gifts” in private.

Do you think that's possible? That the media would just let it go, rather than ask about it every time someone was wearing a new suit, or dress?

I do wonder if it ultimately backfire on the Tories (and Reform). Labour already have plans to pretty much stop second jobs, and cut back on lobbying links. A little public distaste right now, might give make it harder for the Tories to come back and challenge any changes.

He was on record telling the electorate how he would put a stop to exactly the behaviours him and his team have been exposed for.

Stupid doesn’t do it justice and off the back of the WFA debacle it’s staggering.
It’s not in the same ballpark compared to the corruption that went on before and whilst it’d be great for not one politician to accept gifts of any kind it’s a bit lame trying to equate the different situations.
The WFA is their biggest fuck up so far and the only thing really worthy of giving them grief for.

Well they didn’t do it for a laugh did they? We got a 22 billion black hole with health service on its knees, doctors on strike and trains not running - both services the lifeblood of our society.
It’s a tough decisions but there will be help for those pensioners hardest hit and measures will be put in place - vast majority simply don’t need it.
Blame the Tories for leaving the country in debt and in a mess.
Labour need at least a couple years before turning things around. But we know Chippy and co won’t allow a couple of weeks.
In fairness the Tories did get the blame they got absolutely twatted and many lost their jobs at the last election. Shame it wasn't 5 years earlier mind..

Anyhow as I've said earlier we can and should debate what decisions they have made as we go. I would say a mixed bag so far. I would say the junior doctors pay rise was a good thing. I didn't know about the abortion thing but it seems like good idea.

Poor was the PM demeaning himself accepting gifts like he works for FIFA and the WFA policy is totally unacceptable.

Do you think that's possible? That the media would just let it go, rather than ask about it every time someone was wearing a new suit, or dress?

I do wonder if it ultimately backfire on the Tories (and Reform). Labour already have plans to pretty much stop second jobs, and cut back on lobbying links. A little public distaste right now, might give make it harder for the Tories to come back and challenge any changes.
Do you honestly think that would happen? The media live for opportunities like this. Manna from heaven for them. It was utterly stupid to do what they did.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.