Keir Starmer

Starmer himself sabotaged any prospect of a soft brexit to force Labour down the peoples vote route .... look how that ended. The irony being as soon as he was leader he whipped his MP's to vote for the deal and changed his stance to "make Brexit work".

Cobblers.

In the parliamentary indicative votes, Starmer voted for Ken Clarke's proposal for a UK-wide customs union with the EU which lost by only a few votes.

The vote for a second referendum was also close.

They were all lost, and so was the 2019 election, and after that - agree with it or not - there was a rationale for Labour supporting the deal.

This is wrong and sums up why Brexit was delivered so badly.

52% of people voting for something and 48% opposing it does not mean throw the baby out with the bath water and the numbers suggest a soft Brexit was not in direct conflict with how the country voted in the referendum.

For years, the wishes those who voted to leave were respected and reflected in our relationship with the EU. We kept the pound and had loads of opt outs. Why should it be, when we narrowly vote to leave, that this means cutting ourselves off to the extent we have?

How is that democratic?

Why haven’t the wishes of the 48% been reflected in the way we left, in terms of a softer Brexit?
I voted Remain, btw. And campaigned relentlessly both before and after the referendum, on that basis.

But I understand there were things Brexit supporters felt passionately about, which are fundamental if the referendum result is to be respected.

The first, without doubt, is the rejection of freedom of movement in favour of control of our borders. The second is a desire for supremacy of British law and British courts over European.

Neither of these has yet been achieved, but IMO Starmer’s further buddying up to the EU, would make their achievement less likely still.

I voted Remain, btw. And campaigned relentlessly both before and after the referendum, on that basis.

But I understand there were things Brexit supporters felt passionately about, which are fundamental if the referendum result is to be respected.

The first, without doubt, is the rejection of freedom of movement in favour of control of our borders. The second is a desire for supremacy of British law and British courts over European.

Neither of these has yet been achieved, but IMO Starmer’s further buddying up to the EU, would make their achievement less likely still.
I think that’s perfectly accurate about the aspirations of most Brexit voters, but my point was that shouldn’t have obliterated all in its path, whilst still delivering our exit from the EU.

But we've NEVER had migration at the levels since post Brexit, so how does that work?
Also, the Brexit assertions and the Brexit realities are hugely diverse. Not only that, Farage, Gove, Hanan, Johnson and the rest assured us that our place in the single market wasn’t under threat, in fact, it was the ‘greatest achievement’ according to one M.Thatcher!

But we've NEVER had migration at the levels since post Brexit, so how does that work?
Also, the Brexit assertions and the Brexit realities are hugely diverse. Not only that, Farage, Gove, Hanan, Johnson and the rest assured us that our place in the single market wasn’t under threat, in fact, it was the ‘greatest achievement’ according to one M.Thatcher!
When it comes to Brexit there’s absolutely no logic from some of the most ardent Tories. No point even trying to understand their arguments because they’re totally contradictory and mostly bonkers.

Nigel Farage told us all long before Brexit that he wanted us to have more immigration from the commonwealth instead of the EU.

In the lead up to the referendum, he also told us more black people would come and it would be a non issue. He lied about the second point though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.