Kenny Clements

Boots_ said:
Bizarrely, his name keeps popping into my head too. Has been doing for a couple of weeks. Odd.
I have a permanent problem with Neil McNab. He's always popping into my head. Bloody terrier. Used to love watching him chase them down (though sometimes he looked a little like the proverbial headless).

Sigh said:
Boots_ said:
Bizarrely, his name keeps popping into my head too. Has been doing for a couple of weeks. Odd.
I have a permanent problem with Neil McNab. He's always popping into my head. Bloody terrier. Used to love watching him chase them down (though sometimes he looked a little like the proverbial headless).

Blimey, I wouldn't want him suddenly popping into my head with all his pointing and gnashing of teeth. A very angry man.

Do you have a temper?

Dyed Petya said:
Clements came through as a centre half initially but was our regular right back for about two years in the seasons we finished second and fourth under Tony Book in the late seventies. Right back had been a problem for us ever since Book himself had retired. First Glyn Pardoe got a crack at the position but was clearly not the same player after his broken leg caused by George Best's tackle. After that, we bought Geoff Hammond then Mick Docherty to fill the position but neither was a success.

I always felt that Clements was a slight weak link in that late seventies side, though it may simply have been down to the fact that I was only a kid without much understanding of the game. He was one of only a few players we had around that time who wasn't an international, which perhaps coloured my view of him. In retrospect, though, he couldn't have been a mug if he managed to be a first choice in that team of Book's, because it was a very good side.

Anyway, he broke his leg against Ipswich and when he got back to fitness, he couldn't get the shirt back off Ray Ranson so left for Oldham. I remember Joe Royle in his early days at Oldham used to eulogise about Clements in the Pink Final and on local radio.

When he was brought back, it was in a cut price deal but he had a couple of good seasons forming a decent partnership with Mick McCarthy. The small fee Billy McNeill paid was a bargain, actually. However, without wanting to be uncharitable, maybe the fact that Clements was one of our more unheralded players in his first spell and one of our better ones in his second shows how we'd declined in the meantime.

Still, not a bad player and a "good servant" to the club, as the cliche goes. I wish him well.

He was a slight weak link because he was about the only player in a team that had internationals everywhere else.

Decent servant of the club though.

scorer, i'm too young to have seen him play for any length of time but random players pop into my head at times. if you don't mind, i'll lift your idea for one that is never far from the top of my list of city players and start a thread on him.

I remember Eric Nixon sparking him clean out with a punch, coming for a cross, missed and landed a belter right on Kenny's jaw

Out came the smelling salts and Kenny came round and carried on, no bother, Nixon was a big lad and Kenny was out for a while, imagine that happening today, stretcher, neck brace, night in Hospitol etc etc

big blueballs said:
I remember Eric Nixon sparking him clean out with a punch, coming for a cross, missed and landed a belter right on Kenny's jaw

Out came the smelling salts and Kenny came round and carried on, no bother, Nixon was a big lad and Kenny was out for a while, imagine that happening today, stretcher, neck brace, night in Hospitol etc etc

Some people's memories on here amaze me. I can't remember what happened a month ago. Mention Kenny Clements and posters will recall incidents in matches obscure or otherwise from donkeys years ago. I just remember he had fuzzy hair.

Hamann Pineapple said:
big blueballs said:

Some people's memories on here amaze me. I can't remember what happened a month ago. Mention Kenny Clements and posters will recall incidents in matches obscure or otherwise from donkeys years ago. I just remeber he had fuzzy hair.
And there was I anoid with myself because I could not remember the year and who it was against,

When I was at Xaverian College in the late 80s, I often used to see him driving about in one of those 'sponsored' cars players used to drive in those days. No Lambos or Aston Martins back then. It was a Volvo estate with his signature on the door and something like 'Kenny Clements, sponsored by Swiss Tony motors, Harpurhey'.
Couldn't see the likes of Mad Mario in one of them...
Whatever his limitations as a player, he was a great pro and a proper blue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.