Kevin De Bruyne - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
While KDB's work rate is not necessarily perfect he's a manager's type of player in that he follows instructions. De Bruyne worked back a lot more yesterday than people recognize and was playing the actual role of CM quite responsibly. It's fine to want Nasri in that role but it'll take a lot more than a 10 minute cameo with no defensive responsibility for me to trust him as an actual #8.
This is the thing as well. If he is to play deeper, people will have to get to grips with him less obviously effecting a game. He will probably fly under the radar because a lot of his good work will look fairly simple and it will be the job of the players ahead of him who will be in stronger positions to play the incisive pass or score the goal. That said, I'd sooner him play further forward and give Nasri a go in that position....once he's fully fit. I have my reservations about him still but I do think once he knows Pep believes in him we will see a different Nasri. He has too much talent to give up on for me. Him, Silva and Gundogan together would be amazing imo. I'd move Dinho to right back where I still think he's brilliant anyway...especially in this system where the full backs often occupy the middle.

Silva got on the ball a lot. without a doubt. And you want him on the ball, he's a goddamned magician. But Silva is drifting out of his lanes to get on the ball. This puts KDB in a funny position. He can drift with him or he can hold the position on the pitch he's supposed to hold in order to maintain the positional discipline his manager requires and to be in place should the other team counter attack. This is the biggest difference between us under MP and thus far under Pep. If you seriously re watch yesterday's match you'll find KDB as or near the lone player back on multiple occasions. This would have been unfathomable last season as our designated 'attackers' would just wander all over the pitch trying to create triangles and when the attack died they'd think "aw well job done" and watch the defenders try to do their part.

I share some of the concerns about KDB's dribbling and close control -- particularly his one touch passing which can be wayward at times in tight spaces. He's clearly a player who thrives in space. But I don't want people to neglect to recognize the contribution he's making the role he's being asked to play. There is only one ball on the pitch and if our attack tends to favor one direction over another there's not much he's going to be able to do about it except get on with the other responsibilities he has. Which are considerably more this season than last.

I agree it's amazing how a goal changes people's perception of a performance. But I still feel we get more from him when he is further forward. I think Nasri is more suited in a deeper role purely because I think he retains the ball better is better at creating angles

It's swings & roundabouts.

As Silva has pointed out today, we are not building a Barca or Bayern copy, we are building something new. If Sane, Sterling etc are hairing away on a counter attack you would back.DeBruyne to find them with a raking pass from deep every time above Silva or Nasri.

Alternatively, he himself is great moving on the counter attack.

I expect we will see both.

Silva got on the ball a lot. without a doubt. And you want him on the ball, he's a goddamned magician. But Silva is drifting out of his lanes to get on the ball. This puts KDB in a funny position. He can drift with him or he can hold the position on the pitch he's supposed to hold in order to maintain the positional discipline his manager requires and to be in place should the other team counter attack. This is the biggest difference between us under MP and thus far under Pep. If you seriously re watch yesterday's match you'll find KDB as or near the lone player back on multiple occasions. This would have been unfathomable last season as our designated 'attackers' would just wander all over the pitch trying to create triangles and when the attack died they'd think "aw well job done" and watch the defenders try to do their part.

I share some of the concerns about KDB's dribbling and close control -- particularly his one touch passing which can be wayward at times in tight spaces. He's clearly a player who thrives in space. But I don't want people to neglect to recognize the contribution he's making the role he's being asked to play. There is only one ball on the pitch and if our attack tends to favor one direction over another there's not much he's going to be able to do about it except get on with the other responsibilities he has. Which are considerably more this season than last.

That's what I was referring to when I mentioned 'Colin Bell Syndrome' in this discussion. The guy doing the clever pasees & flicks gets noticed while Bell has a part in all the goals & stops several possibly fatal oppo attacks. He's just had an 'average' game.

That's what I was referring to when I mentioned 'Colin Bell Syndrome' in this discussion. The guy doing the clever pasees & flicks gets noticed while Bell has a part in all the goals & stops several possibly fatal oppo attacks. He's just had an 'average' game.

Yeah, and it's not having a go at Silva. I'm incredibly ... almost proud... at both of them for being able to play this CM role responsibly. It's a testament to each player that they've really embraced what is being asked of them. If KDB stays in this position the key will be finding him with more cut backs like the one that took a deflection yesterday. He can be that late arriving menace at the edge of the box when the everyone is overcommitted and turned.

Every time KdB makes the run outside, Sterling opts to cut inside rather than pass to KdB. Happened about 5-6 times in the first half yesterday. And we know KdB's balls from outside are mint. Sterling has to mix it up to keep opponent guessing and also get KdB to think he is involved more. Else, slowly KdB will stop making those runs which is an important piece of movement to create space, and thats what happened as the game went on. Im sure Pep will hv a word with Sterling about this.

KdB has never played his football relying on movement, control and decision-making in tight spaces. All three are new to him, especially the last bit. So obvious, he wont be as comfortable as a spanish #8. But if there is anyone who can teach him these things, it is Pep. Hopefully he learns and doesnt start sulking coz he is not scoring goals. He is improving game and game and that is very heartening to see. Imagine our team when both our #8s are firing and the 2 #8s and 2 wingers keep interchanging positions seamlessly and they hv worked out an understanding of every combination. That will be so fluid & decisive!

His best game in his new position so far.

I can only think of once that he gave it away cheaply.

He and Silva will very often make the pass before the assist this season. Their stats will be down but influence on the game up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.