Kevin De Bruyne - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, and it's not having a go at Silva. I'm incredibly ... almost proud... at both of them for being able to play this CM role responsibly. It's a testament to each player that they've really embraced what is being asked of them. If KDB stays in this position the key will be finding him with more cut backs like the one that took a deflection yesterday. He can be that late arriving menace at the edge of the box when the everyone is overcommitted and turned.

I could imagine a game where both Silva & KDB play in the front 3, likewise either or both in centre mid. We have so many possibilities & variations when everyone gets fit. Even moreso if Nasri is involved as well.

I doubt Pep knows which options are best or if it will be totally different depending on the oppo. He is still finding out about his players.

The great thing to me is that people are starting to realise how good our players actually are, & how varied our systems coud be after being duped into thinking they are mostly shit & one dimensional.

We have some amazing possibilities to explore.

KdB has never played his football relying on movement, control and decision-making in tight spaces. All three are new to him, especially the last bit. So obvious, he wont be as comfortable as a spanish #8. But if there is anyone who can teach him these things, it is Pep. Hopefully he learns and doesnt start sulking coz he is not scoring goals. He is improving game and game and that is very heartening to see. Imagine our team when both our #8s are firing and the 2 #8s and 2 wingers keep interchanging positions seamlessly and they hv worked out an understanding of every combination. That will be so fluid & decisive!

Good post. He obviously prefers to play in the middle but the only way I can see him having a sulk is if he's denied game time and I really don't see that happening. He's already proven how important a player he is for us and even when he's not at 100% the opponents can't afford to take their eye off him even for a split second.

Gundogan & Sane (if used centrally) will bench him, I have no even the slightest doubt. My opinion hasn't changed after the last game. Wing or bench - that's the question. Nasri's possible revival makes it even more complicated for KdB.

Last edited:
Gundogan & Sane (if used centrally) will bench him, I have no even the slightest doubt. My opinion haven't changed after the last game. Wing or bench - that's the question.
We certainly have an extremely talented front line with lots of competition for spots - even more so if Nasri is staying. I'd like to hope that Pep will figure out how to utilize all this talent. As you say though, KDB isn't comfortably in the 8 role - at least not yet - so Pep is bound to play him in an area which better suits him and benefits the team.

I still kind of think that Gundogan will play the pivot, Sane wide which leaves a spot for KDB (or Nasri) in one of the 8s.

Last edited:
I still kind of think that Gundogan will play the pivot, Sane wide which leaves a spot for KDB (or Nasri) in one of the 8s.
I personally think that Gundogan as a lone pivot is almost impossible, but time will tell. As for Sane, there will be a great temptation to retrain him gradually to a hybrid role, Totti/Leo type, and move to the centre. Sane is a special player, it would be wasteful for him to be 'just a winger'.

Gundogan & Sane (if used centrally) will bench him, I have no even the slightest doubt. My opinion hasn't changed after the last game. Wing or bench - that's the question. Nasri's possible revival makes it even more complicated for KdB.

There is no better dead-ball delivery or even final-ball from wide, than KdB. It is such a huuge weapon! But yes, he is still to work on other aspects. He gives a directness that I like. Oh man, what a problem for Pep to hv. So many attacking options and I am sure he is more inclined to fit them all in, rather than leave any out - bless him! Lets leave out Clichy, Zaba. I dont want to bench KdB, even though he is still coming to terms with his role. Lets fit all these gems in ;)

The bigger issue I saw in these games is we hv still not entirely grasped how and whom to press. It is strategic. And it needs to be done efficiently. Our players are still doing it kind of like kindergarten kids in school, of course improving, but not like second nature of Barca players. But I think the City players will take to Pep's system faster than Bayern players.

The bigger issue I saw in these games is we hv still not entirely grasped how and whom to press. It is strategic.
Very well spotted! But it's not the only problem. KdB is not 'industrial' enough. According to the heatmaps, Silva has operated in a twice wider area.
Our players are still doing it kind of like kindergarten kids in school, of course improving, but not like second nature of Barca players.
That's the reason we desperately need 19-20 y. olds for midfield (Zinchenko, Coric etc.) right now. To educate them, to change basic reflexes in a right way.
But I think the City players will take to Pep's system faster than Bayern players.
Actually Bayern players (and their board) have never grasped it. Pep just gave up and changed himself for the final year (though the result was nevertheless remarkable - second leg vs Atl.Madrid was like Mahler was risen and has written a football symphony!)

Last edited:
Very well spotted! But it's not the only problem. KdB is not 'industrial' enough. According to the heatmaps, Silva has operated in a twice wider area.

That's the reason we desperately need 19-20 y. olds for midfield (Zinchenko, Coric etc.) right now. To educate them, to change basic reflexes in a right way.

Actually Bayern players (and their board) have never grasped it. Pep just gave up and changed himself for the final year (though the result was nevertheless remarkable - second leg vs Atl.Madrid was like Mahler was risen and has written a football symphony!)

Wow, didnt know somebody in these forums would hv the exact same thoughts as me. Totally agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.