Kevin De Bruyne 2016/17

Playmakers dictate play, usually from the middle. You're quite right that Silva over the years has started wide and drifted inside.

I appreciate De Bruyne often played centrally for Wolfsburg and did brilliantly. The difference being Wolfsburg were a top 6 side, teams didn't park the bus against them. Most of De Bruyne's good work was exploiting space in behind teams, either hitting an early, direct ball or running in to the space behind.

The difference playing for City is we're the best team in the league. Most teams park the bus, sit back and leave no space in behind. That negates a lot of De Bruyne's game. It requires more acute technique, intelligence and subtlety. De Bruyne is currently not at or anywhere near Silva's league on those things.

De Bruyne has tried to play as a playmaker for us in the first 25 minutes against Newcastle, and in the 7 weeks Silva was out. He was dreadful trying to play that role, it's not his game.

Playing as a playmaker for a top 6 Bubdesliga side who play on the counter is quite different from being a playmaker for the best team in the Premier League who dominate possession. By the same token, Silva wouldn't have been suited in doing the job De Bruyne did for Wolfsburg, he's got a different set of skills.

I've seen De Bruyne's biggest fan on here say "well he's got the best goals and assists record, and the stats are the most important thing". Unfortunately if you look at the game only through those parameters you don't really understand the game, and probably never will.

For me the most important thing is for the team to play well. If they do, results will come. The team has played best without De Bruyne in the side. Maybe it's coincidence, or maybe he's upset the balance of the side? For those who struggle with intricacies of football and only understand stats, check the stats from the first 5 games of the season before De Bruyne signed.

I would add to that, in the Premier league a 'play maker' needs to constantly show for the ball and be very difficult to take the ball off. De Bruyne despite having many fine qualities doesn't yet possess these particular qualities. The very nature of his game is reactive, he responds to the actions of his own and opposition players. I've not seen many better at creating a chance in a snap, his attributes are almost impossible to defend.

However a team like us, as Shaelum points out that dictate play, commit men forwards in an effort to play to our strengths.
Unfortunately as good as some of De Bruyne's stats are, his retention and possession stats are really quite poor.
It's vital we retain posession when on the attack. De Bruyne and Sterling are both often guilty of gifting possession cheaply and as we are not exactly solid or disciplined in midfield we heap pressure on the back 4.

When the likes of Silva, Navas and Nasri or even Ya Ya occupy the creative roles we look much more solid in possession and in turn in defence. Granted non of those three can have the explosive input that messers Sterling and De Bruyne can have but in my opinion we look much more solid and cohesive as both an attacking and defensive unit.

Is De Bruyne an excellent talent? Yes. Does De Bruyne possess the ability to turn any game on its head? Win any game? He sure does. Are City at our best with him in the team? Not for me.

I would add to that, in the Premier league a 'play maker' needs to constantly show for the ball and be very difficult to take the ball off. De Bruyne despite having many fine qualities doesn't yet possess these particular qualities. The very nature of his game is reactive, he responds to the actions of his own and opposition players. I've not seen many better at creating a chance in a snap, his attributes are almost impossible to defend.

However a team like us, as Shaelum points out that dictate play, commit men forwards in an effort to play to our strengths.
Unfortunately as good as some of De Bruyne's stats are, his retention and possession stats are really quite poor.
It's vital we retain posession when on the attack. De Bruyne and Sterling are both often guilty of gifting possession cheaply and as we are not exactly solid or disciplined in midfield we heap pressure on the back 4.

When the likes of Silva, Navas and Nasri or even Ya Ya occupy the creative roles we look much more solid in possession and in turn in defence. Granted non of those three can have the explosive input that messers Sterling and De Bruyne can have but in my opinion we look much more solid and cohesive as both an attacking and defensive unit.

Is De Bruyne an excellent talent? Yes. Does De Bruyne possess the ability to turn any game on its head? Win any game? He sure does. Are City at our best with him in the team? Not for me.

Last season the biggest problem from an attacking point of view was a lack of direct play. Too much keepin the ball with no end product. We had been "found out" according to many. The club recognized this and bought players to give us diversity in our play.

In terms of KDB being a playmaker it's quite surprising that people don't think he is that and can't cement that role at City. If its based on his passing stats in the last two months then I'd say that they are at least comparable to Silva's. Neither has been in blistering form it's just one of them is at least delivering end product.

If we use his guys deeply flawed logic then Silva and Nasri aren't playmakers either as they have spent the overwhelmingly vast majority of their time at the club playing from wide left and right. He's overstating Silva's qualities and understating KDB's which makes the entire discussion rather disingenuous. I mean the idea that De Bruyne can't play in tight spaces and doesn't have the passing ability of DS is frankly laughable fanboy nonsense.
The thread itself was started out of spite. Somehow the OP concluded some pro-DeBryune fan took a shot at Silva, with the similarly named thread, so he feels the need to hit back.

It's all quite amusing really. Don't get me wrong. I like this thread, and think it's a legimate question to ask about our players. But the disingenuity is s bit off putting.
You really don't need to make up fake stories to support your emotional wishes. Calling DeBryune 'diabilical' for the first 25 minutes of a game he was rated Motm in, is laughable.

Silva and DeBryune have slightly different skill sets, but both can play the10 just fine.

There is a few who worry me a lot more than Clichy, although I do agree we need to improve the left back position, I'd have Clichy ahead of Kolarov any day because he can defend.
he isn't that great at defending. His positioning is awful and always seems to get beat 1 on 1 and like I've said before on an attacking sense he's non existent. Kolarov might not be maldini but he's 1000% better at attacking. He might do a few shit crosses but he'll always attack, overlap etc...which means there Rm has no option but to track back or the other teams Rb is left with 2 v 1. With Clichy we're so much more easier to play against. Our fullbacks play a big part in the way we play, More so than most teams.

KDB is class.

You Sir might have inadvertently described a playmaker ;)

The thread itself was started out of spite. Somehow the OP concluded some pro-DeBryune fan took a shot at Silva, with the similarly named thread, so he feels the need to hit back.

It's all quite amusing really. Don't get me wrong. I like this thread, and think it's a legimate question to ask about our players. But the disingenuity is s bit off putting.
You really don't need to make up fake stories to support your emotional wishes. Calling DeBryune 'diabilical' for the first 25 minutes of a game he was rated Motm in, is laughable.

Silva and DeBryune have slightly different skill sets, but both can play the10 just fine.

Spot on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.