Kevin De Bruyne - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, we haven't "got rid of 433". Guardiola often used 352/343 vs opposition pressing in 433 at Bayern to make passing easier for defenders, so nothing new.
And Liverpool was one-off, unique opponent, like Barcelona last year, don't think we'll play in such counterattacking style anytime soon. Maybe Tottenham and Napoli away? But that's it. So, it's impossible to draw any conclusions from this game.

"KDB jumped up a level". Come on, everyone knows he thrives in a chaotic counterattacking game with quick transitions. His weak spot is controlling the ball in possession under pressure, that's where he needs to get better. Dinho was as good in this game, does it make him a worldclass pivot? No, he'll be gone next summer, if we can afford someone like Julian Weigl.

And no, we didn't look outstanding before the red, the game was absolutely even. It's a freak result, don't fool yourself.
Not being negative, just trying to be realistic.

I welcome any opposing post and appreciate your response. I'll elaborate a little futher. Anytime you're looking at something it depends on your perspective and what you're comparing it too. For me, I'm going off of last seasons team compared to what we have now and how much better we will be. How many assists did our fullbacks have last season in total? 3 lol? We had one from each flank. We had Sane bang home two when he totaled 5 last season. Can you remember the last time we scored out of the box? Another bonus. Kun dumped it off to GJ and he easily shoots there over 50% last season. Fernandinho didn't particular impress me last campaign and last nights match he performed better than I expected. In many respects I'd consider it fantastic. The start wasn't great and it was vs 10 men so I'm not ignoring that fact.

As far as KDB jumping up a level...I was referring to Zins post about grit and fitness levels improving. That's a jump up, no?

As far as getting rid of the 4-3-3...I know flexibility is Peps forte but last year and in previous seasons that was the deafault and going off of what Chelsea did last year and with how effective we've been with the 3-5-2 I'd easily say that it's the default formation moving forward and a sign that Pep is adjusting which is obviously more good news. Definitely appears to be more pragmatic so far.

I'm not particularly so excited because of last night but because of the additions that fit what we're doing, Peps willingness to be pragmatic, the surprise of Danilo, and the increasing comfort levels with Kun + GJ. The grit we showed to grind out and win the Bournemouth game late and the battle vs Everton is title winning stuff. Was it a fluke event or something different? Who knows for sure but the result positively improves your comfort levels in the future similar situations.

It's ok to be optimistic :-p

It's not common for me so take that as good news.

I welcome any opposing post and appreciate your response. I'll elaborate a little futher. Anytime you're looking at something it depends on your perspective and what you're comparing it too. For me, I'm going off of last seasons team compared to what we have now and how much better we will be. How many assists did our fullbacks have last season in total? 3 lol? We had one from each flank. We had Sane bang home two when he totaled 5 last season. Can you remember the last time we scored out of the box? Another bonus. Kun dumped it off to GJ and he easily shoots there over 50% last season. Fernandinho didn't particular impress me last campaign and last nights match he performed better than I expected. In many respects I'd consider it fantastic. The start wasn't great and it was vs 10 men so I'm not ignoring that fact.

As far as KDB jumping up a level...I was referring to Zins post about grit and fitness levels improving. That's a jump up, no?

As far as getting rid of the 4-3-3...I know flexibility is Peps forte but last year and in previous seasons that was the deafault and going off of what Chelsea did last year and with how effective we've been with the 3-5-2 I'd easily say that it's the default formation moving forward and a sign that Pep is adjusting which is obviously more good news. Definitely appears to be more pragmatic so far.

I'm not particularly so excited because of last night but because of the additions that fit what we're doing, Peps willingness to be pragmatic, the surprise of Danilo, and the increasing comfort levels with Kun + GJ. The grit we showed to grind out and win the Bournemouth game late and the battle vs Everton is title winning stuff. Was it a fluke event or something different? Who knows for sure but the result positively improves your comfort levels in the future similar situations.

It's ok to be optimistic :-p

It's not common for me so take that as good news.
Agree, everything depends on perspective. Taking last season as a base, I'd say we're definitely going forward, though you don't have to expect anything else with Pep ;) Maybe I'm just too demanding - watching Guardiola's previous teams has set high standards for me)

As for the flexibility - the only reason that prevented Pep from being as flexible last season is terrible fullbacks. 352 isn't more or less pragmatic than 433, it has its advantages and downsides. I bet that we'll use both this season depending on the opposition.

I guess you'd find interesting the explanation of basic reasons to use different formations (though it's probably not 100% applicable to City, as we're less wing-focused team):
https://thetacticalanalyst.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/bayern-munich-a-mega-analysis/
The author is MTK Budapest's match analyst.

Edit: didn't follow your discussion with Zin on KdB so my comment may be off the mark).

Last edited:
Well, I'm very optimistic. We are definitely moving forward and Pep's philosophy is beginning to bear fruit and KdB is a great example of this. Last season he moved around roles quite a lot and I feel that was a deliberate ploy by Pep to round out Kev's game. At 26 Kevin is maturing nicely and looks fit and confident. He just needs to convert hitting the post into hitting the back of the net ! He's here he's there he's everywhere, covering every blade of grass as they used to say. Remind you of anyone ? Meet the new Colin Bell. Even the spiky hair is there. I think he will be a great star and a City legend.

Agree, everything depends on perspective. Taking last season as a base, I'd say we're definitely going forward, though you don't have to expect anything else with Pep ;) Maybe I'm just too demanding - watching Guardiola's previous teams has set high standards for me)

As for the flexibility - the only reason that prevented Pep from being as flexible last season is terrible fullbacks. 352 isn't more or less pragmatic than 433, it has its advantages and downsides. I bet that we'll use both this season depending on the opposition.

I guess you'd find interesting the explanation of basic reasons to use different formations (though it's probably not 100% applicable to City, as we're less wing-focused team):
https://thetacticalanalyst.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/bayern-munich-a-mega-analysis/
The author is MTK Budapest's match analyst.

Edit: didn't follow your discussion with Zin on KdB so my comment may be off the mark).

Yes I definitely am interested in stuff like that. I'll take a look at that link shortly. Kind of surprised that the 3-5-2 isn't more pragmatic tbh.

That was a massive performance from him on Saturday. His delivery was utterly brilliant and he looked like the guy we had pulling the strings in pre season.

I have the impression that KdB has half a dozen successive games where, whatever the result, he looks commanding, direct, intuitive, and just bloody good to watch, and then we have a few games where I seem to think he has his boots on the wrong feet. We haven't had the latter yet this season, but he certainly fitted the bill last season in several periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.