Kevin Keegan.

Wouldn't have him anywhere near us, TBH. His real achievement was promotion at the first attempt but what a poor division it was. Take our so-called nearest ‘rivals’ Wolves, who blew a seven-point lead over us when we had three games in hand (one of which we lost at Wimbledon). We did the double over so many teams who have never been back to that division again (Grimsby springs to mind) and of course dear old Millwall who contrived to lose 3-2 at home to us with no travelling support (unless you got a local to arrange a ticket for you) and still lost at Maine Road after we’d had a man sent off and missed a penalty. Didn’t we give Wednesday the lead and still beat them 6-2 away and 4-0 at home? Easy to play fast, attacking and winning football against this sort of shite.

His transfer dealings were poor overall. Yes he brought us Berkovic, Pearce and Benarbia but also Colosimo, Negouai and Vuoso (£4 million that lad cost us). Macken sort of did OK but was never worth the £5 million Keegan insisted on paying. His mishandling of the Robbie Fowler deal also cost us our best chairman of the last 4 decades as well, another expensive deal that didn’t really work out.

But the worst of it for me was his handling of Goater and Huckerby. He wanted the Goat out from the first day and told him so but kept up the nice, supportive act in front of the media. This is the same fella who was top scorer and got 9 very important goals for us when we got back into the Premier League, including three beauties against the Pestilence. Huckerby was dumped on his arse from the off in the Div 1 championship season, scored 4 against the Brummies in the League Cup and still struggled to get a game in a team who’d been minced 4-0 by West Brom away and (shamefully) Wimbledon at home. Huckerby finished second-top scorer in the league behind the Goat that season, which tells you all you need to know about Keegan’s judgment and faith in his own players.

I don't see why the guy is revered so much by some City fans, but yet those same fans never miss an opportunity to slag off Pearce or Hughes. I'm grateful for promotion, and Benarbia and Anelka, but thats almost it. He left the club in a terrible mess.

Quite correct. We were solvent but relegated in May 2001.
By May 2004 we were nearly £60 million in debt. It wasn't all wages and other overheads y'know.

C_T_I_D said:
One of my favourite City managers personally. Got me thinking, with his attacking prowess and seemingly abandonment of all things defensive how do you think he would do with the current squad of players we have? Do you hold him in as high regard as myself?

That division 1 (now Championship) season was one of the most enjoyable to date in my books. Great entertainment and I'm sure many fans would love to see us revert to those tactics sometimes given their criticism of Mancini's defence first policy.

Thoughts lads and lasses?

must be raining where you are.............next thread please!

Monksie said:
Wouldn't have him anywhere near us, TBH. His real achievement was promotion at the first attempt but what a poor division it was. Take our so-called nearest ‘rivals’ Wolves, who blew a seven-point lead over us when we had three games in hand (one of which we lost at Wimbledon). We did the double over so many teams who have never been back to that division again (Grimsby springs to mind) and of course dear old Millwall who contrived to lose 3-2 at home to us with no travelling support (unless you got a local to arrange a ticket for you) and still lost at Maine Road after we’d had a man sent off and missed a penalty. Didn’t we give Wednesday the lead and still beat them 6-2 away and 4-0 at home? Easy to play fast, attacking and winning football against this sort of shite.

His transfer dealings were poor overall. Yes he brought us Berkovic, Pearce and Benarbia but also Colosimo, Negouai and Vuoso (£4 million that lad cost us). Macken sort of did OK but was never worth the £5 million Keegan insisted on paying. His mishandling of the Robbie Fowler deal also cost us our best chairman of the last 4 decades as well, another expensive deal that didn’t really work out.

But the worst of it for me was his handling of Goater and Huckerby. He wanted the Goat out from the first day and told him so but kept up the nice, supportive act in front of the media. This is the same fella who was top scorer and got 9 very important goals for us when we got back into the Premier League, including three beauties against the Pestilence. Huckerby was dumped on his arse from the off in the Div 1 championship season, scored 4 against the Brummies in the League Cup and still struggled to get a game in a team who’d been minced 4-0 by West Brom away and (shamefully) Wimbledon at home. Huckerby finished second-top scorer in the league behind the Goat that season, which tells you all you need to know about Keegan’s judgment and faith in his own players.

Absolutely spot on mate.

I'll always remember him for the Bernstein/Fowler fiasco and the way he snubbed the Goat and Huckerby. Despite his limited chances, Goater scored more goals in fewer games than Andy Cole (who was in his prime) on our return to the top flight but Keegan still regarded him as nothing more than a reserve striker.

Loved him for the first two years but pretty much hated him for the last two years. Redknapp didn't help by tapping up Berkovic but once that had happened, as DD said, Keegan was unable to handle the situation and things spiralled downwards badly. I don't for one minute think Pearce is a particularly good manager but he had no chance of succeeding given the financial situation and squad Keegan left behind and I actually think Pearce deserves some credit for keeping us up, even if the football was depressing.

There are ups and downs in all manager's careers, and Allison didn't have it too rosy in his second spell at Maine Road.

I'll always remember Keegan for the good things that he did at City, although I'll hold my hands up at the constructive criticism leveled at him on this thread - which is nice to see; when usually it's mostly a lot of vitriol pasted up on here.

Whilst I wouldn't have anyone other than Manciti - for a bunch of reasons at present, I think Keegan did what was required at the time we needed him. For this I think he deserves a great deal of respect and admiration.

As I said above, there's a reason he's fondly remembered at the clubs he's been associated with, even though everything's not always perfect and mistakes are often made.

BiBaBo said:
I sat next to one of the players Dads on a coach going to an away game and he said that the players thouht he was a total wierdo. Apparently he had one personality for the media and another one for the players.
I bumped into KK once, in Staples in Stockport he was wandering around looking at pens and coloured paper and I found it strange as it was a morning and I wondered why he was not at training, it was during that run of games where we could not buy a win, anyway I went and spoke to him and asked him for his autograph for my lads, which he was happy to give but he was very avassive when I asked him about the blues, and could not wait to get away, basically I could tell his heart was not in it and not long after he was gone, I never understood what a premier league manager was doing wandering round staples as if he was lost looking at felt pens and paper especially as it was morning and the lads would of been training

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.