Kevin Keegan.

Keegan went very defensive towards the end.

For example he kept two clean sheets against Chelsea iun their record point year, and kept a clean sheer at old trafford the same season.

The team was built from the back in 2004/05

I felt that we should've done much better in our first two seasons back in the prem after promotion; the second season (03-04) was a disgrace - we went something like 15 games without a win, and didn't win consecutive games all season!

It's been said before, but:

Vuoso - 4 mill
Macken - 5
Sommeil - 4?
Fowler - though he did produce some good form, was overpriced and unbalanced the team.
Mills - 5-year deal ! Absolute madness!

And let's not forget the stream of over-30s: Sinclair, Reyna, McManaman and Seaman.

The first 2 seasons under Keegan were brilliant and the club seemed to be on the crest of the wave. Sadly, millions of pounds were squandered needlessly on a lot of players when clearly we needed to finish top 6 straightaway as there was no additional money to make up for that. The Berkovic thing cost us dearly, so now I couldn't see Keegan being trusted with millions.
It goes to show Mancini's philosophy of build from the back has paid dividends over the last season and a half and we will continue to see the squad and team evolve. That I have no doubt.

Nicky D said:
Fowler - though he did produce some good form, was overpriced and unbalanced the team.

It's no coincidence that he only scored goals and made goals when he wasn't playing with Anelka. For this reason, Fowler should never have been signed. I can't believe Keegan got the go ahead for this move when people in the Boardroom could see it was going to be a disaster.

Don't be under any illusions that Keegan quit, he was sacked and given a £5 Million payout which bought his silence. The club line at the time was "left by mutal consent" though.

BiBaBo said:
Don't be under any illusions that Keegan quit, he was sacked and given a £5 Million payout which bought his silence. The club line at the time was "left by mutal consent" though.

The club wanted him to extend his contract, he wanted to leave when it ended in 2006. Once we were about safe the club parted ways around a year and 9/10 matches early.

C_T_I_D said:
One of my favourite City managers personally. Got me thinking, with his attacking prowess and seemingly abandonment of all things defensive how do you think he would do with the current squad of players we have? Do you hold him in as high regard as myself?

That division 1 (now Championship) season was one of the most enjoyable to date in my books. Great entertainment and I'm sure many fans would love to see us revert to those tactics sometimes given their criticism of Mancini's defence first policy.

Thoughts lads and lasses?
i agree, that div one championship winning season was the most entertaining of my life, loads of club records broken, three strikers passed 30 goals etc, but unfortunately it doesnt work in premiership. Forza Mancini, dont forget man utd came to coms last season and did not try to attack us in a shit game. Thats cos bacon face knew if we are attacked we will soak it up and pick teams off, that was a compliment to mancini's tactical nouse

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.