Kiev post match reaction thread - PLEASE keep it in here.

I might start my own match report.

In the first twenty minutes or so City looked quite impressive. They made a few attacks and had a couple of threats at goal with Kolarov looking to link with Dzeko, with Silva aiming to get control of the game. City had Barry and Touré who were looking to push forward, while Zabaleta sat infront of a -- what looked like -- comfortable back four, and England's number one. City thought: "how can Kiev get through this?"

But as a result of shocking defending from Silva and Hart, Kiev managed to slot home awkwardly through Andriy Shevchenko, who proved last night that his bad form at Chelsea was a mere blip. 1-0 down isn't the worst result to take back, and City might have been grabbed an away goal. Scrappy, nicely worked? Who cared? It was a goal to take back to Manchester and build on. And seeing as City had won 10 out of the last 11 games at home, you'd think City would sail through.

But after a very disjointed lead-up to half time City found themselves far from home and far from a victory. Mario Balotelli suffered an allergic reaction to the grass in Kiev (very odd if you ask me), but this may have been a blessing in diguise as Carlos Tevez readied himself and entered the field of play. Balotelli left the field clutching his throat, eyes and ears, and left cause for concern.

City then finally looked like they were playing the football that they needed to get a goal. Tevez linked up well with Yaya Touré to force the Kiev goalkeeper into a save, and then Joleon Lescott fashioned a chance for himself, but the Kiev goalkeeper made an impressive save and clutched onto the ball.

Then Kiev, rather frustratingly, scored another. Guisev slotting home well after some bad defending again from Micah Richards, who just wasn't tight enough. 2-0 down was now a mountain. A mountain that, right now, looks very close to impossible to climb.

But this is City. City do things the hardest way for dramatic effect, I'm sure.

Ratings; Hart 6, Richards 6, Kompany 6, Lescott 6, Kolarov 6, Zabaleta 6, Yaya Touré 5, Barry 5, Silva 5, Dzeko 4, Balotelli 4 (Tevez 7, Wright Phillips 5).

Result in the second leg: 2-1 to City. Kiev go through.

BillyShears said:
Pretty shocked at the number of people still clinging to the same old excuses. This is Mark Hughes all over again. No shape, no style, no soul, no substance. We've simply replaced one set of glaring problems for another set of glaring problems...

On to the game - we were shit. I've read a couple of 'we played okay' type posts - were you people watching the same match as me? Our best spells in the match came when we knocked the ball from side to side in our own half really slowly. Our worst spells in the match came whenever we ventured into Kyiv's half. Some random thoughts for you:

Dzeko is getting worse in front of our eyes. Not better. That's got to be a big big big worry. Nearly 30 million euros and the fella looks absolutely lost whenever he plays. Probably because he's constantly having to play as a defacto left forward which may have worked in Germany, but in the Premiership and against decent teams like Kyiv it just isolates him too much and the match passes him by.

The halftime Balo show...here's a thought for our coaching staff. Maybe rather than leaving the players to sort out their own half time team talk whilst they twiddle their thumbs back on the bench, they should stay and talk to the fucking players during the break. If they'd done that, they'd have known there was a problem with Balo and we wouldn't have had the ignominy of seeing Mancini and fucking Platt and fucking Kidd all looking confused and befuddled. Amateur hour at the Apollo is what that was. A disgrace in my book and I bet Khaldoun, Cook, and the powers that be weren't laughing about it...

So people keep saying we have no plan B - go on then, indulge me. What's plan A? Actually, don't bother...I know what plan A is - unfortunately plan A got sussed about four months ago. So forget plan B - we need a new plan A. One which doesn't hinge on having two world class creative full backs...

The return leg next week - don't care if we see Gillingham'esque heroics to be honest. The yoyo nature of our performances, the lost, rabbit in headlights, resigned, KK at Oldham, nature of Mancini's body language coupled with his unintelligible post match interview said it all for me. The man is out of his depth at MCFC...just as Mark Hughes was.

Agreed fully.

BillyShears said:
Pretty shocked at the number of people still clinging to the same old excuses. This is Mark Hughes all over again. No shape, no style, no soul, no substance. We've simply replaced one set of glaring problems for another set of glaring problems...

On to the game - we were shit. I've read a couple of 'we played okay' type posts - were you people watching the same match as me? Our best spells in the match came when we knocked the ball from side to side in our own half really slowly. Our worst spells in the match came whenever we ventured into Kyiv's half. Some random thoughts for you:

Dzeko is getting worse in front of our eyes. Not better. That's got to be a big big big worry. Nearly 30 million euros and the fella looks absolutely lost whenever he plays. Probably because he's constantly having to play as a defacto left forward which may have worked in Germany, but in the Premiership and against decent teams like Kyiv it just isolates him too much and the match passes him by.

The halftime Balo show...here's a thought for our coaching staff. Maybe rather than leaving the players to sort out their own half time team talk whilst they twiddle their thumbs back on the bench, they should stay and talk to the fucking players during the break. If they'd done that, they'd have known there was a problem with Balo and we wouldn't have had the ignominy of seeing Mancini and fucking Platt and fucking Kidd all looking confused and befuddled. Amateur hour at the Apollo is what that was. A disgrace in my book and I bet Khaldoun, Cook, and the powers that be weren't laughing about it...

So people keep saying we have no plan B - go on then, indulge me. What's plan A? Actually, don't bother...I know what plan A is - unfortunately plan A got sussed about four months ago. So forget plan B - we need a new plan A. One which doesn't hinge on having two world class creative full backs...

The return leg next week - don't care if we see Gillingham'esque heroics to be honest. The yoyo nature of our performances, the lost, rabbit in headlights, resigned, KK at Oldham, nature of Mancini's body language coupled with his unintelligible post match interview said it all for me. The man is out of his depth at MCFC...just as Mark Hughes was.
I can try and disgaree, but I can't. I'm losing faith in Mancini at the moment. Our away form has slumped from six wins from ten games to no wins from eight games. Like under Sven, City's system has been figured out.

Oh yeah, another thing. The Carlos change was too little too late, but it showed one thing - who's more important to the future of our club...

BillyShears said:

Top, top post!

BillyShears said:

One of your finer moments, if I may be so bold...

BillyShears said:

Correct and it aint funny.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.