King of the Kippax | Last ever edition (p 20)

Give it a listen everyone. It gets a bit emotional. I was one of the lucky ones who had my words included in the montage thanking Sue & Dave. Thanks Emily for doing that too. I think it shows how significant KK and the fanzine movement was and it's really important to recognise their contribution to football culture, campaigning and everything else that helped fans. At a time when clubs and the media didn't listen they were there. It was great to hear so many of the editors of other fanzines speak too. Nice work all involved and good luck to Dave & Sue.

Give it a listen everyone. It gets a bit emotional. I was one of the lucky ones who had my words included in the montage thanking Sue & Dave. Thanks Emily for doing that too. I think it shows how significant KK and the fanzine movement was and it's really important to recognise their contribution to football culture, campaigning and everything else that helped fans. At a time when clubs and the media didn't listen they were there. It was great to hear so many of the editors of other fanzines speak too. Nice work all involved and good luck to Dave & Sue.

Pre internet and in our dark days fanzines were a vital voice for the fans. I read quite a few and found KOTK the best one so stuck with it. Others must have had the same view as it outlived them all and lasted thirty five years.

Sue will always have a special place in my heart. I was working away on the ship when the club put the Gillingham play off final tickets on sale. When I returned home on the Wednesday before the final we had sold out. After attending many games and in spite of us receiving tickets well over our average attendance that season, I still missed out. This was due to not being able to physically queue up at Maine Road when they went on sale, I was understandably livid.

I phoned every single person I knew but the reply was always the same, no chance, they are as rare as rocking horse shit. I was at my wit's end when I dug out an old copy of the KOTK. I found a phone number and got through to Sue. I had never met or spoken to her before as I always bought my fanzine from Dave or another seller. I explained my predicament and we had a good chat and a laugh for a while. Sadly her reply wasn't optimistic but she took my number just in case.
On the Saturday morning she rang to say she had a spare but they were leaving that morning to stay with friends down south before the final. I couldn't get to Leigh before they left so I had to meet them outside Wembley to pick my ticket up. Thankfully it went fairly smoothly and I was there to witness one of the most iconic days in our history.

After that I always made a point of seeking out Sue for a catch up chat pre game and of course to buy the fanzine. It is a sad day indeed to see it end but I understand their reasons why. It's a shame somebody younger couldn't step forward and keep it going....here's hoping!

Thanks Sue and Dave and everybody connected with KOTK over the years. You kept us going in our dark years with wit, humour and rants that mirrored just how we all felt at the time. Who would have thought back then it would end with us winning a treble? Enjoy your retirement and here's to many more successful and happy years of watching the mighty Blues. If I strain my ears as I walk to the ground I might just hear, "King of the Kippax!" blowing faintly in the wind of my memory one last time.....

Got every copy, was a subscriber and to last so long shows how much a part of City it was. Fantastic read when we were shit, gave fans a voice. My personal favourite was Arthur from Heywood who I met later through work. However, thanks to all the contributors and, most importantly, to Sue and Dave enjoy your retirement and I’ll still see you at the matches.

Cheers. I've seen Emily loads of times in the South stand. She was on the pitch with her kids after the Villa game.
That gobby rag prick on the show, (Gaz?) I detest that turd, why couldn’t they have got an another Blue to do it? Lovely people Dave and Sue, and Steve the Vicar and his lad. The best I have heard Winter speak in a long time. Hadn’t realised Craig Cash was a Blue, nice words from him. Given this was about KOTK not sure radio Manchester had to give a big chunk of the show to Andy fucking mitten (well we all know why really)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.