Kinkladze vs Benarbia vs Silva

Silva = world class!
Kinkladze = best dribbler city ever had.
Bernabia = My favorite player. Loved the club (still comes to games when he can), loved the fans, was an all round player who made the team tick.
Just a shame he came in his latter years, fantastic player. Enthusiasm, hunger, bad loser, team player, never give in attitude and skillful.

Kinkladze joined Ajax who had just won the league by a mile , the season he played with the champions they had their worst finish in 33 seasons finishing 6th .. before you all shout at me I am just pointing out that he did play with good players and still didn't do anything special .. He was a good player in a crap team ..
1st Silva
2nd Benarbia
3rd Kinky

In terms of sheer excitement Gio is the only one of the 3 who you felt could beat all 10 of the opposition in 1 run- many times he certainly got past 4/5/6. Anyone who was at Gigg Lane when he won a penalty for us check out the run he made on YouTube or of course the Soton goal and the classic Gio videos. Of course I love watching David and loved Ali B - which football fan wouldn't but they tend to run or dictate games with little bits of luxury thrown in with nearly every touch- but Gio was the firecracker. The best natural talent running with a ball I have seen at City in 43 years. Check on the bids his pace with the ball from a standing start.
I'm not sure how many of his critics would care to show a bit of empathy for the poor lad? He came from war torn Tiblisi and was dreadfully homesick he even got his Mum to come over and live with him. Carlos Tevez notoriously came from the dirt poor slums but he had an agent who for good or bad was there to guide and support him- Georgi had his Mim for a bit. Do his critics understand what chaos City were in under first Ball and then the 5 managers in. a season. Stockport away, Eddie McGoldrick and GED Brannan?!!!! And Gio was lazy!!!!! So he was supposed to defend, win the ball back and then beat 6 men? To say he is lazy shows a non understanding of the game- same as people with YaYa. Of course he's not going to work as hard as Paul Dickov or Jeff Whitley - neither does David Silva! How many ball winning tackles does David make or how many 50 yard runs tracking back to block someone does he do? Of course he doesn't because that takes away from what he is brilliant at - you would be insane to call David lazy as he works his bollocks off every game in his own way to influence it. Yet Gio is termed lazy!
Oh and if he was so good how come City got relegated? Another old chestnut. So George Best was crap because NI never did anything, oh and King Colin was crap because at his peak (70-76) England couldn't even qualify for a major championship in 74 , 76 or 78(I know he had been injured). Football is a Team game. How come David was not that good when YaYa and Nasri were both out- because It's a team game!!!!!
I think with the players we have now ( and a sensible manager) Gio would turn this team into dynamite with David and YaYa creating the situations- how are you going to mark him- for goodness sake he can hurt you from just outside his own box?
I feel very strongly about this as I love a lot of our past and current players but Gio should have been a world star and wasn't partly because like a lot of us he has his weaknesses but mostly down to circumstance but I can't ever forget what he did for us and those runs and bridge rays of sunshine through very gloomy skies
All the best

Googoo said:
In terms of sheer excitement Gio is the only one of the 3 who you felt could beat all 10 of the opposition in 1 run- many times he certainly got past 4/5/6. Anyone who was at Gigg Lane when he won a penalty for us check out the run he made on YouTube or of course the Soton goal and the classic Gio videos. Of course I love watching David and loved Ali B - which football fan wouldn't but they tend to run or dictate games with little bits of luxury thrown in with nearly every touch- but Gio was the firecracker. The best natural talent running with a ball I have seen at City in 43 years. Check on the bids his pace with the ball from a standing start.
I'm not sure how many of his critics would care to show a bit of empathy for the poor lad? He came from war torn Tiblisi and was dreadfully homesick he even got his Mum to come over and live with him. Carlos Tevez notoriously came from the dirt poor slums but he had an agent who for good or bad was there to guide and support him- Georgi had his Mim for a bit. Do his critics understand what chaos City were in under first Ball and then the 5 managers in. a season. Stockport away, Eddie McGoldrick and GED Brannan?!!!! And Gio was lazy!!!!! So he was supposed to defend, win the ball back and then beat 6 men? To say he is lazy shows a non understanding of the game- same as people with YaYa. Of course he's not going to work as hard as Paul Dickov or Jeff Whitley - neither does David Silva! How many ball winning tackles does David make or how many 50 yard runs tracking back to block someone does he do? Of course he doesn't because that takes away from what he is brilliant at - you would be insane to call David lazy as he works his bollocks off every game in his own way to influence it. Yet Gio is termed lazy!
Oh and if he was so good how come City got relegated? Another old chestnut. So George Best was crap because NI never did anything, oh and King Colin was crap because at his peak (70-76) England couldn't even qualify for a major championship in 74 , 76 or 78(I know he had been injured). Football is a Team game. How come David was not that good when YaYa and Nasri were both out- because It's a team game!!!!!
I think with the players we have now ( and a sensible manager) Gio would turn this team into dynamite with David and YaYa creating the situations- how are you going to mark him- for goodness sake he can hurt you from just outside his own box?
I feel very strongly about this as I love a lot of our past and current players but Gio should have been a world star and wasn't partly because like a lot of us he has his weaknesses but mostly down to circumstance but I can't ever forget what he did for us and those runs and bridge rays of sunshine through very gloomy skies
All the best
This just about says it all for me kinky was the only thing worth going to watch the place buzzed when he had the ball, Dave's a brilliant player but he's certainly not the only thing worth going to watch and there's not much of a buzz about the place either.

Googoo said:
All the best

That is a great post and sums up a lot of my beliefs, just much more eloquently put. There was no doubt he did not achieve the greatness his talent deserved but I can only judge him as a City player and he was incredible. That first season in the Premiership he lit up that league like no other player and as we dropped into the relegation zone his reputation continued to grow.

Its funny people keep raving about Barclay, 22 years old and just starting to make an impression in the Premiership and yet this lad walked into the country in August, as a 22 year old, speaking little english, into a completely alien environment, and was taking the league by storm two months later. For me it speaks absolute volumes about his talent.

Like you stated he had a number of personality weaknesses. It is impossible to imagine the effect his upbringing, the civil war, his friends and teammates being murdered had on him as an individual particularly as they were too far in the distant past. In addition to this he arrived at City at the worst time and arguably, as an individual, he moved to Ajax at a terrible time due to the Litmanen situation.

Having a player like Kinkladze was as our act of defiance. As the clubs collapsed into turmoil the only thing we could grab hold of was the fact we had such a wonderful player and like you have stated he would be the perfect player in this team as a player who is able to beat a man, commit defenders, break at pace is luxury we do not have in this team.

Another criticism is he lacked consistency. Again it is another example of having a great player at the wrong time. Players like Silva excel in this team because City dominate possession and therefore have more time on the ball to express themselves, to create, and to link the play with his tremendous intricate passing. The team is set up to garner the best out of his ability.

The City of 95-98 was a very different proposition. We struggled to keep the ball, Kinkladze was surrounded by substandard players, playing for a number of inept manager for a club in complete free fall. If anything it amazes me he was able to put in the performances he did.

If for nothing else Kinkladze should be remembered for his incredible loyalty. I very much doubt any of our current players would follow us down into the Championship, particularly the flair players who would likely be kicked to death. Again back in the 90s football was much more physical. The fact he stayed, suffered all that when his star shone brightest speaks volumes about the man.

To say Kinky wouldn't get in our squad now is just ridiculous, is he not better than the likes of Navas, Milner, Nasri, Jovetic, Fernando,of course he is. One of the most talented players to grace our great club and in my opinIon the most skilful I have seen since first watching City in 1973.

What you have to remember about Kinky is that he came from a very poor country where life was pretty tough and he was dropped in to life in England with loads of cash and in a football club that was very badly run, he was surrounded by halfwits and boozers and that was just the coaching staff. I don’t think he was ever really encouraged to sort his life out and become a serious dedicated professional.

The Ajax move was a disaster as he never adjusted to the culture of the place and with an apparent lack of discipline / dedication it fell apart pretty quickly. I had a mate involved with Derby who got to know him when he was there and he turned up at least a stone over weight and more like 2 stone overweight and with a very bad reputation as a professional. I can’t help but think that the mess at City had a big impact on the player he became. You wonder what he would of become with the likes of Mancini / Pellers / Viera in the coaching set up telling him to sort himself out and playing in a team with the likes of Aguero and Silva.

eastmanc said:
To say Kinky wouldn't get in our squad now is just ridiculous, is he not better than the likes of Navas, Milner, Nasri, Jovetic, Fernando,of course he is. One of the most talented players to grace our great club and in my opinIon the most skilful I have seen since first watching City in 1973.
all the players you named have played at the very top against the very best,he was more accostomed to the likes of Bury&Swindon...no one ever comes up with a realistic reason as to why a top PL club never came in for him...he was there for all to see afterall....any top player at their peak leaves the Dutch league...not the other way round....

Silva gets my vote , because of the level of football he consistently produces his quality , but Kinky was a brilliant individual player , who was at the time , worth the admission price alone , we were a one man team . When Kinky got the ball , you could feel the anticipation in the crowd and no other player has had the same affect , but in hindsight it was probably because the rest of the team were average at best. Ali B was the most under rated player ever to pull on a blue shirt , he didnt get the credit from the media , he was truly world class , a real shame he only joined us in the twilight of his career

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.