Kinky at Sunday's Game

Back then, being a City supporter was akin to being a gold prospector. You spend years in the shit, panning around for scraps, then along comes a big shiny nugget that you just love looking at., but sooner or later, you know you'll have to sell it, but will always remember it, perhaps bigger and shinier than it was.

Kinky was our nugget back then, we've had much better players since, but will always remember the time he shined for us.

BWTAC said:
Back then, being a City supporter was akin to being a gold prospector. You spend years in the shit, panning around for scraps, then along comes a big shiny nugget that you just love looking at., but sooner or later, you know you'll have to sell it, but will always remember it, perhaps bigger and shinier than it was.

Kinky was our nugget back then, we've had much better players since, but will always remember the time he shined for us.

Well said Kinky was the glimmer of hope and the dim light in a very dark room.

Was my favourite as a kid too.

Any chance of giving him a song next weekend?

if I remember correctly last time he returned was last game at Maine Road, we lost to Southampton. He'll still get a cheer from me.

For those that continue to espouse the theory that Kinkladze was nowhere near the standard required today, I have copied a piece by the esteemed football journalist and broadcaster, the late Byron Butler, which I hope is food for thought. Written in Kinkladze's (albeit short lived) pomp in 1996, it gives an idea of he he was viewed back then. As we all know, his career didn't pan out the way it should have for a variety of reasons, but at that time he really was that good:

It took just a jiffy, one among a hundred or so scored in English League football over the weekend, but the memory of that goal at Maine Road is not going to fade.
The scorer, an artful dodger with a choirboy's face, wafted through Southampton's bullish defence like a breeze, before teasing the ball over a bemused keeper and into the net. Such bravura, such audacity.
The only regret is that this hero is a Georgi from Georgia rather than, say, a George from Geordieland. Kinkladze is the name of course, a little Merlin in the employment of Manchester City - and there was more than a hint of reverence as well as exultation in the crowd';s salute to his goal.
There is, more's the pity, no way of measuring talent. There is no kind of barometer which, placed under a player's tongue, will put a figure on his technique, dexterity and versatility, his relationship with the ball, his vision of the patterns and rhythms of the game, his ability to improvise and - the mortar which holds everything together - his resolution.
But, if there were, my bet is Kinkladze would top the list in English football - above Eric Cantona, Alan Shearer, Ryan Giggs, Robbie Fowler, DEnnis Bergkamp and yes Ruud Gullit at the age of 33. The young Gullit? Not so sure.
All have components that might improve Kinkladze. Shearer's single-mindedness perhaps, Fowler's prescience, Cantona's cunning or the strength of Gullit's personality.
Point for point however, Kinkladze has the virtuosityand the brio to make the most vivid mark on any game in which he plays.
He takes ones mind back to another Georgie, the Best, in fact who was also on a higher plateau than his contemporaries. He was, within the context of the simple game of football, an honest to goodness genius.
Matt Busby said that Bes twas gifted with more ability than he had seen in any other player - and unique in the number of his gifts.
I would pick Best before Kinkladze but the fact that the two invite comparison is tribute in itself to City's current star of stars. And he may yet have more to show us.
Kinkladze, like Best, is a player of of style as wel las infinite surprises. He is a crowd please as well as a match winner - and his ability has nothing to do with coaching. He does things beyond the ken of any FA Centre of Excellence.
He is a team man too, who brings others into the game, offers options and makes space by obliging defenders to follow him. But, above all, he dribbles and scores, the two most exciting elements in the game.
No useful analysis is possible of the 40 yard run which took him through the Southampton defence. They looked as if they were trying to clobber a shadow.
Kinkladze's finish was also exquisite: an inviting hesitation and then, as Dave Beasant plunged, a delicately weighted chip over the big chap's body. That was his second goal. The first, right man in the right place, had been a simple tap-in. No flourish, no hesitation.
He is possibly the first City player that United, across the way, have had reason to envy for a quarter of a century. It will be interesting to see what United make of him in the Manchester derby at Maine Road in just over a fortnight's time.
Kinkladze will not score goals like last Saturday every week, but the promise is always there, and at Upton Park this Saturday he will be West Ham's problem. He may even give an East Londoner a chance to re-run the old story about Stanley Matthews:
"Kick 'im" bellowed the supporter of an opposing team as Matthews waltzed past a defender. "Kill 'im" as Matthews floated past another. And turning to the crowd behind him, as the great man rounded yet another and laid on a goal: "Didn't I tell you? He's a right ******* marvel"

Kinky was and still is my hero.
my daughters middle name is Georgia.
However much we loved him he gave it back.
but....... daves better. Hard to compare cos geo stood out in a shite team but dave stands out in a top team<br /><br />-- Sun May 04, 2014 5:43 pm --<br /><br />Kinky was and still is my hero.
my daughters middle name is Georgia.
However much we loved him he gave it back.
but....... daves better. Hard to compare cos geo stood out in a shite team but dave stands out in a top team

Trautmannesque said:
For those that continue to espouse the theory that Kinkladze was nowhere near the standard required today, I have copied a piece by the esteemed football journalist and broadcaster, the late Byron Butler, which I hope is food for thought. Written in Kinkladze's (albeit short lived) pomp in 1996, it gives an idea of he he was viewed back then. As we all know, his career didn't pan out the way it should have for a variety of reasons, but at that time he really was that good:

It took just a jiffy, one among a hundred or so scored in English League football over the weekend, but the memory of that goal at Maine Road is not going to fade.
The scorer, an artful dodger with a choirboy's face, wafted through Southampton's bullish defence like a breeze, before teasing the ball over a bemused keeper and into the net. Such bravura, such audacity.
The only regret is that this hero is a Georgi from Georgia rather than, say, a George from Geordieland. Kinkladze is the name of course, a little Merlin in the employment of Manchester City - and there was more than a hint of reverence as well as exultation in the crowd';s salute to his goal.
There is, more's the pity, no way of measuring talent. There is no kind of barometer which, placed under a player's tongue, will put a figure on his technique, dexterity and versatility, his relationship with the ball, his vision of the patterns and rhythms of the game, his ability to improvise and - the mortar which holds everything together - his resolution.
But, if there were, my bet is Kinkladze would top the list in English football - above Eric Cantona, Alan Shearer, Ryan Giggs, Robbie Fowler, DEnnis Bergkamp and yes Ruud Gullit at the age of 33. The young Gullit? Not so sure.
All have components that might improve Kinkladze. Shearer's single-mindedness perhaps, Fowler's prescience, Cantona's cunning or the strength of Gullit's personality.
Point for point however, Kinkladze has the virtuosityand the brio to make the most vivid mark on any game in which he plays.
He takes ones mind back to another Georgie, the Best, in fact who was also on a higher plateau than his contemporaries. He was, within the context of the simple game of football, an honest to goodness genius.
Matt Busby said that Bes twas gifted with more ability than he had seen in any other player - and unique in the number of his gifts.
I would pick Best before Kinkladze but the fact that the two invite comparison is tribute in itself to City's current star of stars. And he may yet have more to show us.
Kinkladze, like Best, is a player of of style as wel las infinite surprises. He is a crowd please as well as a match winner - and his ability has nothing to do with coaching. He does things beyond the ken of any FA Centre of Excellence.
He is a team man too, who brings others into the game, offers options and makes space by obliging defenders to follow him. But, above all, he dribbles and scores, the two most exciting elements in the game.
No useful analysis is possible of the 40 yard run which took him through the Southampton defence. They looked as if they were trying to clobber a shadow.
Kinkladze's finish was also exquisite: an inviting hesitation and then, as Dave Beasant plunged, a delicately weighted chip over the big chap's body. That was his second goal. The first, right man in the right place, had been a simple tap-in. No flourish, no hesitation.
He is possibly the first City player that United, across the way, have had reason to envy for a quarter of a century. It will be interesting to see what United make of him in the Manchester derby at Maine Road in just over a fortnight's time.
Kinkladze will not score goals like last Saturday every week, but the promise is always there, and at Upton Park this Saturday he will be West Ham's problem. He may even give an East Londoner a chance to re-run the old story about Stanley Matthews:
"Kick 'im" bellowed the supporter of an opposing team as Matthews waltzed past a defender. "Kill 'im" as Matthews floated past another. And turning to the crowd behind him, as the great man rounded yet another and laid on a goal: "Didn't I tell you? He's a right ******* marvel"

That sums him up for me. Not having this 'he was a decent player in a bad team' garbage. He was world class, could do things no player I've ever seen could do.

His loyalty cost him his career unfortunately and in hindsight he should have gone to the likes of Barca or Milan that were after him then.

I'll be there early on Sunday to show my appreciation to the Georgian genius.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.