Knife crime

The police are broadly useless bar a few teams doing sterling work. Problem is in beat coppers and in management.
Their numbers and powers have been weakened and credibility has been lost.
Every stop and search is filmed on camera phones and challenged by mobs.
It’s bleak out there in many cities

Well said Chicago. Two good posts there. From out you can see where we are heading. It's pretty scary. But what's the solution?
Make the turn!

Strong statement of intent from government to build more, and better, prisons.

Make the statement that Britain cannot allow itself to go through this spiral without corrective measures to right the ship.

And, start enforcing sentencing guidelines firmly, without all the ameliorating factors the lawyers make up to make their client seem like a choir boy who had a bad day!

I do like how police call an 18 yr old offender a “man” as opposed to “teenager,” though. Here, that is reserved for over 21s, due to a stupid drinking age! (Another story)

Also, allow criminal history to be used as a bludgeon tool in sentencing, even if not allowed in evidence at trial.

Last edited:
The police are broadly useless bar a few teams doing sterling work. Problem is in beat coppers and in management.
Their numbers and powers have been weakened and credibility has been lost.
Every stop and search is filmed on camera phones and challenged by mobs.
It’s bleak out there in many cities
This is why the change has to come from above, to enable those on the street, and in middle management bureaucratic/political positions to take the necessary steps to curtail the devolving situation.

More gangs, esp drug gangs, than ever. They are more brazen and deadly than ever before because the rewards are so much greater than ever before, while the risks appear so minimal.

Community beat cops, coupled with a significant increase in Special Units to tamp down specific crimes and criminal activity, is required.

To some extent, it’s Whack A Mole, but the criminals need to know not only are the Police not going away, but the sentencing is going to get more draconian.

Prisons are a disgrace. I’m not sure how you stop them from containing bent officers and gangs, but separation and lack of privileges are a minimum. And, not abiding by guidelines should be harshly dealt with.

While I’m not sure prison is romanticized by some, it does seem like some people wear it like a badge of honor. It should not be that way. Going to prison should be shameful, esp for the violent and drug crimes we are discussing.

Anyway, I’m not going to fix any problem from Chicago on Bluemoon, but I am saddened to see the general societal decay I see in so many places I used to live to go, visit and enjoy.

Make the turn!

Strong statement of intent from government to build more, and better, prisons.

Make the statement that Britain cannot allow itself to go through this spiral without corrective measures to right the ship.

And, start enforcing sentencing guidelines firmly, without all the ameliorating factors the lawyers make up to make their client seem like a choir boy who had a bad day!

I do like how police call an 18 yr old offender a “man” as opposed to “teenager,” though. Here, that is reserved for over 21s, due to a stupid drinking age! (Another story)

Also, allow criminal history to be used as a bludgeon tool in sentencing, even if not allowed in evidence at trial.

The issue with UK knife crime nowadays is it’s not just isolated to an area with a reputation of a high crime rate such as council estates, it’s everywhere even in the affluent suburbs.

It used to be that you either had to be talented at music or football or you would get caught up in it but now young lads are being taken to trials in their parents expensive cars with expensive lawyers.

Before we start building more prisons, locking more young lads up and then throwing them back out into society without a hope or purpose, we need to understand the reasons why it is now everywhere otherwise you will be building even more prisons whilst the current generation are serving their time.

The biggest reason for me is the glamorisation of it in music. UK Drill music for example is based on telling stories about how inflicting harm on others with many slang words for stabbing. It’s not even about drugs or money anymore, it’s about reputation and post codes. Pointless.

Why is UK drill music allowed to exist? If an Islamic terrorist sympathising group produced music about suicide bombing or killing infidels it would be banned, why is UK drill music any different? They aren’t expressing themselves in art form, they are inciting violence to young impressionable people and YouTube/Spotify are making millions off this.

Taking the glamour out of it will help but education is the key, always has been and always will be. If lads are fighting over postcodes then they should do so for pride in football, young lads join gangs because they have nothing to keep them occupied and they feel a sense of belonging. Why can’t they do this with football? Where’s the major investment in football pitches, and equipment? Where’s the role models from the industry influencing their status?

It wouldn’t be a quick fix but if you can influence the next generation in the right way then it will slowly , if you’re just going to continue to allow them to be influenced with violence in songs and fuck all for them to aspire to then it’s just a vicious circle.

The other issue is for me is when these lads are released back into society, they are released back into the frying pan and can easily get back involved again. If you have caused menace to that area you should not be allowed anywhere near it and I’m not talking about a 5km exclusion zone, I’m talking about hundreds of miles, away from the distractions, the peer pressure and give yourself a chance for you to build a life.

There are just a couple of suggestions, I’m sure some may disagree with them but one thing im sure everyone will agree on is that hearing of a story of a knife crime in the UK is just normal and everyone is desensitised to it which shows you how much of a prevalent issue it really is.

Same communities complaining about stop and search are the ones complaining the police are not stopping and searching enough with regard to knives. Feel sorry for the police. Instead of asking why the police are stop and searching so many young black men we should be asking instead why so many young black men are denied opportunity and end up as suspects/criminals. That's the real institutionalised racism in this country, not the policing (imho).

I think the problem is?! When he looked at how many people he would have to send to prison he had to change tact! There is not enough prison places to accommodate them! That is the bottom line, why the fuck they don't build more prisons is beyond me!
This

Like rust, the decay works it’s way up, from the inside out, and if you don’t nip it, it gets progressively more ugly and expensive.

Crime, in general, is getting more and more violent in the UK. GMP happy to display the 120 guns they gave confiscated this year, but it only represents a scratch on the surface of what must be out there.

UK crime seems to have exploded within the 18-25 crowd, as everyone tries to be Mr Big, and it will only get worse when people realize the downside is so paltry.

A knife is a deadly weapon, just like a gun. Carrying one might be for self-protection, but the fact that you have it implied you are willing to use it. What if you’re punched? Straight to the knife? What if the other lad, or one of his mates, has one? Two dead? More? Or maybe just a few slashed faces? After all, who doesn’t want one of those after a night out and a bit of an argument outside the bar?!

Britain is slowly dissolving in its own toxic stew of underprivileged, undereducated, underemployed young men looking to “be” someone.

When I come over, I see the amount of “reality TV” bigging up the plastic steroid using muscle bound losers who always seem to get the trout pout, fake tits, make up plastered whores with their 3 inch nails and 6 inch heels, and I die a little inside at what is being held up as some “ideal” or “success.” In fact, it’s hard to tell one from the other, as they all meld into the same looking person, a la the Kardashians!

It pervades social media and the tabloids and it makes it seem like that is what success looks like, because it certainly appears to bring them money and the “Hollywood” lifestyle. So, in their own warped way, these kids, who often have very little, have to find a way to be more, be bigger, be badder, and be repped on the street, and can’t be seen to be backing down. Hence, bring an “equalizer” to the game.

It’s sad to see what is becoming of Blighty, but the desirable places seem to be getting more desirable and out of reach of most, while the less desirable places seem to be trying to slap a pretty veneer on themselves while they slowly decay from the inside.

Cue the “Yeah, but what about (fill in the American jibe here)”
The “everyone tries to be Mr Big” point is pertinent. There are seemingly no Mr Bigs anymore, and any of the many Mr Big wannabes out there don’t have a clue how to be a Mr Big.

Over the last few decades British “gangsters” don’t understand what being a gangster is. They just think it’s acting street, wearing tracksuits with one hand down the front of their pants, doing drill call-out songs/videos and being billy big bollocks bullies who think shanking up some bloke from up the road or another city is what it’s all about.

A real Mr Big doesn’t want all this shit on his turf. Decades ago, if you acted up and drew attention to your area, the real Mr Big had your head in a metal vice or you were locked in the back of a van in a scrap yard and told that, if you acted up again, the vice would be tightened until your head burst open or the van would be crushed with you in it.

There’s no fear of the Mr Big anymore, the Mr Bigs seem to be in the core of all this acting up, they encourage and partake in it.

Thus the streets are in a viscous cycle of knife terror and little idiots running around playing at real life like it’s a Wild West film.

Same communities complaining about stop and search are the ones complaining the police are not stopping and searching enough with regard to knives. Feel sorry for the police. Instead of asking why the police are stop and searching so many young black men we should be asking instead why so many young black men are denied opportunity and end up as suspects/criminals. That's the real institutionalised racism in this country, not the policing (imho).
Mothers of murdered kids in the high knife crime areas have been as high up as being in meetings with numerous Police Chiefs and Home Secretaries over multiple Cabinets and Government terms, and have actively asked for much greater Stop-and-Search in their areas from the Police.

But the little idiots running around with knives on them like it’s all a joke spend half their life complaining that they’re subject to too much Stop-and-Search as if it’s not fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
The powers-that-be have no interest in reducing crime.

Fear of crime leads to public demands for stiffer sentencing, tougher policing and more authoritarian government, including repressive laws.

The powers-that-be are more than happy to oblige. And then ratchet the oppression to the next level.
What they won't do is take decisive action to actually reduce crime, as then the population would not be in fear, and might ask for a more relaxed, civilised organisation of society. And that would never do.

What is needed (but won't happen).

1. Much better education for everyone.
2. More security in society - a guarantee of basic food and housing etc.
3. More jobs or alternative occupations.
4. Jails organised to reform criminals and return them to society ready to make a contribution.
5. Mental hospitals for those who need them.
6. Life confinement for those who cannot be reformed - for whatever reason.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.