Kolarov and Nastasic

I think the guy who wrote that letter is being somewhat disingenuous. According to him, it's something directly connected to ultra-nationalist military groups but it's history is somewhat different as I understand it.

It relates to Red Star Belgrade winning the European Cup in 1991 and playing in the World Club competition in Tokyo. It does have nationalist connotations as it was used to taunt supporters of teams linked to other ethnic groups but it's a wind-up, a bit like the Steve Gerrard song but with a slightly nastier edge. The question is, was Edin offended?

I wish people would cut and fucking paste :

Protest letter to the MCFC Chairman
May 12, 2014
kolarov nastasic srbija do tokija
Dear Chairman Al Mubarak,
On behalf of the victims of genocide and aggression on Bosnia and Herzegovina residing in United States and Canada, we are writing to strongly protest the actions of two members of the Manchester City football squad during the team’s public celebrations of their second Premier League title in three years.
Manchester city defenders, Aleksandar Kolarov and Matija Nastasic chose to celebrate the title by wearing white t-shirts featuring highly offensive Serbian ultranationalist slogan “Srbija do Tokija” (“Serbia to Tokyo”) that were used by Serbian military and paramilitary forces during their campaign of aggression on Bosnia and Herzegovina and other neighboring countries in the 1990s under the dictatorship of Slobodan Milosevic. This slogan was always used in the context of implying Serb nationalist domination, particularly to promote violent expansionist tendencies at the expense of the neighboring countries and non-Serbs. These and other similar slogans, Serb troops used while committed genocide, crimes against humanity, rape, murder, and ethnic cleansing against the Bosniak and other non-Serb civilians, all in the name of forming a “greater” Serbian state.
We believe these are deliberate, premeditated actions by Kolarov and Nastasic, meant to promote an extremely destructive brand of Serbian nationalism, not one that promotes a justifiable pride in one’s own country, but rather a chauvinist and violent attitude towards its neighbors with whom the Serbian people are yet to fully reconcile. This act can only be fully compared to the disgraceful actions by Croatia defender Josip Simunic whose 10-match ban was rightly upheld by FIFA on Monday for shouting “Za Dom” (“For the Homeland”), which is a known World War II-era slogan used by Croatia’s then-puppet regime following a playoff victory against Iceland.
We respectfully ask that the Manchester City football club immediately investigate these actions and take all necessary steps to sanction the players and ensure that the sport of football is never used to promote hatred and aggression against other people. Many Bosnian citizens are huge fans of the Manchester City club, and have been hurt and disappointed with the actions of these two players.
We are also going to issue a protest to the governing football bodies, the Football Association, UEFA, and FIFA, to ask that the appropriate action be taken regarding the disgraceful behavior of these players.
Sincerely,
Mr. Hamdija Custovic,
President of the CNAB Board of Directors
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bosniak.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.bosniak.org</a>
Prof. Emir Ramic
Institute for Research of Genocide, Canada
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.instituteforgenocide.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.instituteforgenocide.org</a>

Jacks77 said:
Cant disagree with it if those are clearly connected or can be connected to former war crimes...

I dont know in what kind of wars UAE has been but if we had a player from an "opponent" country making some remarks only trough a t-shirt about those wars the owners wouldnt take it lightly for sure.

It should investigated tho are these really only used in a bad political sense or are Bosnian too sensivite and the pure hate towards Serbians works here, but certainly it would have been lot more clever to enjoy and celebrate without all of these.

Flags are no problem at all, but political messages dont have place in football especially not ones that can be connected to wars.

Kolarov actually had some problem last year maybe with a fan and with some flag if I am correct but not much happened about that.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/dec/15/manchester-city-aleksandar-kolarov-albania-flag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... bania-flag</a>
Manchester City collected the three points without too much trouble with a 3-1 win over Newcastle but their season took another unexpected turn when Aleksandar Kolarov, their Serbian defender, allegedly became involved in an altercation with a home fan bearing the national flag of Albania.

Northumbria police confirmed they had received a complaint of racist language being used and were investigating the matter. A spokesman said: "Northumbria police takes such allegations extremely seriously and inquiries are ongoing into the incident."

Kolarov was warming up on the touchline at the time, before his introduction as a first-half substitute, when he caught sight of the flag and made a remark to its owner. It is not clear exactly what was said. Two Albanian Newcastle supporters made the complaint. City had no official comment to make other than to say that they had been made aware of a verbal exchange between a player and a spectator, and Kolarov travelled back to Manchester on the team bus.

Neither Roberto Mancini nor Alan Pardew witnessed the incident and were unable to comment further, with the City manager understandably preferring to stick with Manchester rivalries rather than venture into Balkan politics.

Mancini insisted his only message to Sir Alex Ferguson is a friendly, festive one after his side returned to their stylish best. Defeat in the Manchester derby last Sunday meant City fell six points behind their neighbours at the top of the Premier League, but Mancini reckons it is too early to make firm predictions about the title race. "It was important to start winning again after losing but the only message I wish to send to Sir Alex is 'Happy Christmas for the 25th,'" the City manager said. "We know very well that in this championship the title race is not finished."

Mancini will also have to do without Samir Nasri for several weeks, after the midfielder limped off with a groin strain. Mario Balotelli, however, was dropped from the squad because he had not been playing very well. "He is not in good form at the moment," his manager confirmed. "We left him at home because it is better right now if he continues to train."

Prestwich_Blue said:
I think the guy who wrote that letter is being somewhat disingenuous. According to him, it's something directly connected to ultra-nationalist military groups but it's history is somewhat different as I understand it.

It relates to Red Star Belgrade winning the European Cup in 1991 and playing in the World Club competition in Tokyo. It does have nationalist connotations as it was used to taunt supporters of teams linked to other ethnic groups but it's a wind-up, a bit like the Steve Gerrard song but with a slightly nastier edge. The question is, was Edin offended?
Obviously not, he has his arms wrapped around Kolarov and Nasty at the trophy squad pics with a huge grin on his face.

EdinJacko said:
Dzeko didn't seem too arsed

This. If you view the video on MCFC site of changing room celebrations the players from the former Yugoslavia (Serbians, Bosnian and Montenegran) are all celebrating together and even have a phot taken of them all together with their various national flags.
I do feel that this is an over-reaction. I get the sense that as individuals these players (Kolarov, Nastasic, Dzeko, Jovetic) have a strong sense of national and ethnic pride but that the troubles and tragedies of the past have been sidelined by a more positive and inclusive mindset. Are we supposed to be outraged at some of our players displaying the Argentine flag because that might offend Falklanders and or veterans of that war. I think we are all bigger and better for moving on. It is a pity that some people can't.

aguero93:20 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

Obviously not, he has his arms wrapped around Kolarov and Nasty at the trophy squad pics with a huge grin on his face.

Now we're fucked. So we got Kolarov and Nastasic banned for ultra-nationalist activities and Edin for capital treason as he wasn't offended by it.

:)

I think Dzeko was just caught up in the moment or has a personal relationship with these guys which makes it complicated. Any Bosnian would be offended and I think Dzeko probably was but maybe did not know what to do.it is very common for racists to have friends of the very people they are prejudiced against. This world is full of contradictions and the Balkans are the prime example.

Dear MCFC Chairman,

I am writing this letter to show my upset at what I regard as offensive actions by two of your players, on behalf of those who are too unmoved, too forward thinking or too open minded to be offended for themselves. Whilst I will neglect to give you the full sorry or research the full history of the actions and their meanings, I find them offensive and ask for everyone to dance on your graves. I will also seek to persecute you on a European and Worldwide level via the appropriate professional bodies.

Your sincerity,
Somebody with noting better to do.

Honestly, I don't believe for a second that Nastasic or Kolarov are that closed minded. At worst it was ill advised, more likely it is mis-interpreted by the kind of people that try to sue you for dropping a smelly one in a lift.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.