Kolarov = another wait for a good city leftback

wanderer72 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I'm looking for him to be able to defend. Useful trait for a left back.

One single example as I would be more than happy to agree to disagree with you: he saved a clear goal opportunity against the Wolves the other day, for instance. Fantastic.

Chelsea could have been, in the "what if" alternative universe, only one point behind.

Not a very strong argument, but less weak than all counter-arguments, moaning and flames I've seen here put together. Cheers.

I'd prefer to judge him on his overall contribution and attributes. He looks slow, doesn't get tight and gets outjumped. These things have happened many times. He's clearly got a good left foot and whips in a good ball. But I've seen him outpaced over 5 yards three times now at least. And not by football geniuses.

I'm really hoping it's a fitness issue because we really need him to start playing well.

Didsbury Dave said:
wanderer72 said:
I've been quite impressed with him. I presume we are looking for different traits in that role.

Yeah, Dani Alves gets caught out of position too sometimes. The fact is that the current system values Kolarov's attacking traits more highly than the defending. Barry (and later De Jong) shifted across to cover him against Villa, so there was no problem with his forward forays - in fact, he posed our best threat in the first half, and was always available in the second.

When we talk about the need for a Plan B, to break down deep-lying defences, I think Kolarov's part of the solution - he can whip a ball in brilliantly, the other players just need to funnel possession to him more.

Finally, I don't think there's too many left-backs out there who are inarguably better. Cole, of course, and Evra (though he doesn't pose the same attacking threat), but I wouldn't swap AK for Clichy, Abidal, Marcello, Chivu, Glen Johnson ;), Assou Ekotto, etc etc etc.

ST Coleridge said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Yeah, Dani Alves gets caught out of position too sometimes. The fact is that the current system values Kolarov's attacking traits more highly than the defending. Barry (and later De Jong) shifted across to cover him against Villa, so there was no problem with his forward forays - in fact, he posed our best threat in the first half, and was always available in the second.

When we talk about the need for a Plan B, to break down deep-lying defences, I think Kolarov's part of the solution - he can whip a ball in brilliantly, the other players just need to funnel possession to him more.

Finally, I don't think there's too many left-backs out there who are inarguably better. Cole, of course, and Evra (though he doesn't pose the same attacking threat), but I wouldn't swap AK for Clichy, Abidal, Marcello, Chivu, Glen Johnson ;), Assou Ekotto, etc etc etc.

Excellent post, mate.

Has improved with every game he has played since he came back for me. Also it takes time to adjust to a different league and team and also country. The same can be said of Boeteng and Dzeko. Overall the team will be tighter next year and I think kolorov will come good.His positional sense is a lot better than Bridge and he,s by no means the slowest full back.

A little bit of patience is all we need, given some of the abject shite we have had at LB over the years, I would have thought we could give the lad that.

He will not only come good, he will come great.

wanderer72 said:
ST Coleridge said:

Excellent post, mate.

SENSE IF EVER I HEARD IT. good post and one i agree 100% with.
Kolarov will be quality, it takes time to get to the top of your game in another country

In fairness, Evra made his debut against us, got arse raped all day and we tore the scum to shreds.

He got used to English football, so will Kolarov.

gio's side step said:
toffee balls said:
well,football is a game of opinions and you are entitled to yours,even though it is wrong..

Unfortunately, I am not wrong. The guy has been poor all season, and again yesterday looked very suspect defensively, and wasteful when he had the ball in the final 3rd.
He might have seen more of the ball but I've said from day one he's nothing special, Boateng has been equally crap but I hold out hope he can make it at centre half. Our team is still ploddy in the middle, narrow and dodgy at the back when Mancini's tactics of bombing te full backs forward is tried with any great urgency. We're wasting some amazing attacking talent IMO!

Neil McNab said:
gio's side step said:
Unfortunately, I am not wrong. The guy has been poor all season, and again yesterday looked very suspect defensively, and wasteful when he had the ball in the final 3rd.
He might have seen more of the ball but I've said from day one he's nothing special, Boateng has been equally crap but I hold out hope he can make it at centre half. Our team is still ploddy in the middle, narrow and dodgy at the back when Mancini's tactics of bombing te full backs forward is tried with any great urgency. We're wasting some amazing attacking talent IMO!
Nice to see you being positive and pro-active

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.