Vincent Kompany | Bayern Munich Manager

If Bayern were looking at a young German coach you'd never heard of who had gotten his team promoted with a record points total from Bundesliga 2 I don't think anyone would be questioning it. Cos it's someone we've heard of and the club in question is Burnley, people think it's weirder than it actually is.
Domenico Tedesco finished 14th in the second division with Erzgebirge Aue, and was rewarded with the Schalke job, at that time a decent Bundesliga side. He took Schalke to 2nd place, drew with Dortmund in the Revierderby widely against the odds, and became the first manager to receive a Man Of The Match award.

Hansi Flick's last managerial job before Bayern, involved four unsuccessful attempts at getting Hoffenheim promoted from the third division to the second.

If Bayern were looking at a young German coach you'd never heard of who had gotten his team promoted with a record points total from Bundesliga 2 I don't think anyone would be questioning it. Cos it's someone we've heard of and the club in question is Burnley, people think it's weirder than it actually is.
Except, that is not entirely the right analogy.

Would you think it odd if Bayern was looking at a young German manager who had gotten his team promoted from Bundesliga 2, but then got relegated in the next season, with a PPG that saw them finish rock bottom?

In your scenario Bayern are pursuing Torsten Lieberknecht (Dormstadt), rather than Frank Schmidt (Heidenheim).

That is no slight on Vinny. I have been one of the small contingent on here arguing that he lost his best players (mostly that were on loan to Burnley) and the players he picked up or already had consistently let him down throughout the season with ridiculous decision making and profligate finishing that saw them lose many matches they should have drawn or won, and that was the main reason they failed to stay up, not his style, tactics, or coaching.

One can reasonably argue Bayern are taking a big chance on a promising manager that just needs the right players and setup to fully implement his style and achieve success at the top level.

But I don’t think any rational observer can say it is the same as them going after a manager like Frank Schmidt, who as legitimately massively overachieved with a newly promoted side, based in the smallest population area of any club in the Bundesliga, on literally a shoestring budget, playing their first ever season in the top division, tipped to finish bottom of the league before the season kicked off.

If either Leverkusen win the DFB-Pokal or Dortmund win the CL, Heidenheim will be playing in Europe next season. That is an immense job Schmidt has done and I think Bayern trying to poach him—with the belief he could bring a very German work ethic, determinedness, and steadying structure to the team—would make a lot more sense than going after Kompany, given current conditions. Of course, prising Schmidt away from his boyhood club that he has coached since 2007, leading them up from the fourth division to the Bundesliga, would be quite difficult. But it would make more sense generally.

All of that said, whilst I am not convinced this move is going to be a good thing for Vinny’s management career, I desperately hope I am wrong, as I have been steadfast in my belief that he has the potential to be a top manager in world football.

I would just hate to see his career stunted by a tortured stint at a currently dysfunctional club (which I hate, on principle, to be fair).

Except, that is not entirely the right analogy.

Would you think it odd if Bayern was looking at a young German manager who had gotten his team promoted from Bundesliga 2, but then got relegated in the next season, with a PPG that saw them finish rock bottom?

In your scenario Bayern are pursuing Torsten Lieberknecht (Dormstadt), rather than Frank Schmidt (Heidenheim).

That is no slight on Vinny. I have been one of the small contingent on here arguing that he lost his best players (mostly that were on loan to Burnley) and the players he picked up or already had consistently let him down throughout the season with ridiculous decision making and profligate finishing that saw them lose many matches they should have drawn or won, and that was the main reason they failed to stay up, not his style, tactics, or coaching.

One can reasonably argue Bayern are taking a big chance on a promising manager that just needs the right players and setup to fully implement his style and achieve success at the top level.

But I don’t think any rational observer can say it is the same as them going after a manager like Frank Schmidt, who as legitimately massively overachieved with a newly promoted side, based in the smallest population area of any club in the Bundesliga, on literally a shoestring budget, playing their first ever season in the top division, tipped to finish bottom of the league before the season kicked off.

If either Leverkusen win the DFB-Pokal or Dortmund win the CL, Heidenheim will be playing in Europe next season. That is an immense job Schmidt has done and I think Bayern trying to poach him—with the belief he could bring a very German work ethic, determinedness, and steadying structure to the team—would make a lot more sense than going after Kompany, given current conditions. Of course, prising Schmidt away from his boyhood club that he has coached since 2007, leading them up from the fourth division to the Bundesliga, would be quite difficult. But it would make more sense generally.

All of that said, whilst I am not convinced this move is going to be a good thing for Vinny’s management career, I desperately hope I am wrong, as I have been steadfast in my belief that he has the potential to be a top manager in world football.

I would just hate to see his career stunted by a tortured stint at a currently dysfunctional club (which I hate, on principle, to be fair).
Kompany doesn't have to be Schmidt for his record to be better than a lot of people are making it out to be. No, he didn't achieve what Schmidt has, you're completely right there. You actually make a very good case for Schmidt to be in the running, assuming he would be interested (which he might've been if asked, who knows).

But still, it's not a fair or true reflection of Kompany's job at Burnley to call him "the guy who got Burnley relegated" and completely gloss over everything else that happened and what he achieved, which is what a lot of people have done over this thread.

If you get a club promoted and then go straight back down, it doesn't really mean you "got that club relegated". That's insincere and not a good-faith statement. If you take over a club that's been in the division for years, and under your charge they drop points and end up getting relegated, that's what means you "got the club relegated".

Good luck to him if this comes off, have to admit I am very surprised by it. Struggling to see how it makes any sort of sense.

Obviously Bayern have seen something they like about Kompany. It's a risk of course, as is nearly every managerial appointment, but personally I think he might do rather well there.
Yeah, so do I.

Apparently, Bellers won’t be going with him, which I think is a shame.

Kompany doesn't have to be Schmidt for his record to be better than a lot of people are making it out to be. No, he didn't achieve what Schmidt has, you're completely right there. You actually make a very good case for Schmidt to be in the running, assuming he would be interested (which he might've been if asked, who knows).

But still, it's not a fair or true reflection of Kompany's job at Burnley to call him "the guy who got Burnley relegated" and completely gloss over everything else that happened and what he achieved, which is what a lot of people have done over this thread.

If you get a club promoted and then go straight back down, it doesn't really mean you "got that club relegated". That's insincere and not a good-faith statement. If you take over a club that's been in the division for years, and under your charge they drop points and end up getting relegated, that's what means you "got the club relegated".
You understand I have never actually called Kompany "the guy who got Burnley relegated", and actually argued much of what you have just said in the post you replied to, right?

I hope your post was arguing against some other person’s remarks, rather than mine, otherwise it was—ironically—a bad faith response.

Yeah, so do I.

Apparently, Bellers won’t be going with him, which I think is a shame.
It is a shame, if anything because we won't get to see some very interesting scenes. I did think to myself when it was announced that he plans to take his own staff with him, that Bellamy would either get a demotion or left behind altogether.

Talksport recon Vinnie is fighting to take Bellamy with him, although the Bayern board aren't relenting.

You understand I have never actually called Kompany "the guy who got Burnley relegated", and actually argued much of what you have just said in the post you replied to, right?

I hope your post was arguing against some other person’s remarks, rather than mine, otherwise it was—ironically—a bad faith response.
I wasn't suggesting those were your comments, only that others had said it in the thread. Most of my reply was to your comment but that was a general statement.

Edit: Your comment, was a reply to my comment, which was a reply to someone else's comment. So I was tracking back to the original conversation as it applied to what I had said, which you were replying to. This is getting very complicated x'D

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.