Vincent Kompany | Bayern Munich Manager

Vinny will instantly command more respect in a dressing room than Potter simply by his playing career. I just don't think Potter comparisons are particularly apt. Different CV
Playing career only counts for little. There have plenty of great players who don't become great managers either.

Vinny's mangerial record isn't brilliant and I am getting Graham Potter and Chelsea vibes with this. It is a different mangerial style when managing a club like Bayern Munich.

Burnley got relegated last year because both their goalkeepers were horrendous. The important question for me is whether Kompany wanted those two, or whether he wanted someone more experienced and was overruled. If it's the latter, I don't think he can be blamed for their relegation at all.

Burnley got relegated last year because both their goalkeepers were horrendous. The important question for me is whether Kompany wanted those two, or whether he wanted someone more experienced and was overruled. If it's the latter, I don't think he can be blamed for their relegation at all.
He still brought in the players and he still coached them. He isn't even Bayern's first choice. Although he been involved in plenty of title run in as a player he hasn't had much experience in that apart from winning the Championship at Burnley.

Last edited:
He still brought in the players and he still coached them. He isn't even Bayern's first choice. Although he been involved in plenty of title run in as a player he hasn't had much experience in that apart from winning the Championship at Burnley.

My post is asking literally if he did bring in the players, or whether Burnley brought them in. I doubt Kompany, if given full choice, would have gone 'yeah mate let's buy the shittest keepers and strikers around, sounds great'.

Tactically Burnley were fine last year - given a good keeper and good forwards I don't see why he couldn't win the league with them.

My post is asking literally if he did bring in the players, or whether Burnley brought them in. I doubt Kompany, if given full choice, would have gone 'yeah mate let's buy the shittest keepers and strikers around, sounds great'.

Tactically Burnley were fine last year - given a good keeper and good forwards I don't see why he couldn't win the league with them.
He wanted Trafford who had a good U-21 tournament with England and had a successful spell at Bolton.

My post was a reply to @Mon Autre ’s post, which didn’t seem to be a reply to any one person’s post (as he didn’t quote anyone else).

I was pointing out his analogy was incomplete, which made it faulty, and provided information to support that. Namely, that per the premise of his analogy, pursuing Kompany is more akin to Bayern going after the manager of Dormstadt (newly promoted team which finished bottom of the table in the Bundesliga) than going after the manager of Heidenheim (which finished eighth in their first ever season in the German top flight).

You then replied to my post, seemingly arguing against something some other person(s) had said, rather than what I had said in my post, given I had already made many of the same arguments you were making in your reply to my post.

It is getting very complicated!
Apologies Seb, I didn't mean to sound like it was directed at you anyway. I agree with your point, and my reply to you was intended to agree with the majority of your comment, even if I also believe that the point he was making was right too, in spite of the incomplete analogy.

Again not you, but others, have used incomplete analogies pointing in the other direction too. Somewhere in the middle there is a complete picture.

Has he had a name change in the media from Vincent to Bassont?

If he's touted for a job in Italy will he be referred to as Vincenzo?
Well, he is Belgian, they speak French (Walloon), and Dutch (Flemish), as well as a bit of German.

The French/Walloon pronunciation is the one they've recently started using on Sky and other platforms, whereas we've been used to them using a very English pronunciation for pretty much all the time he spent here. Why that is, I don't really know, but the one they are using now is closest to his actual given name.

Playing career only counts for little. There have plenty of great players who don't become great managers either.
Correct
Wenger, ferguson and mourinho would not have been classed as top footballers yet managed to have had fairly good managerial careers.
Was Unai Emery even a footballer?
There have been some high profile players who couldn't cut it in management.
A midfield of Gerrard, Lampard and Keane were superb players but couldn't manage a team between them.

Correct
Wenger, ferguson and mourinho would not have been classed as top footballers yet managed to have had fairly good managerial careers.
A midfield of Gerrard, Lampard and Keane were superb players but couldn't manage a team between them.
Fellow players respect it though. Which means they are more likely to listen to a Kompany than a Potter, in the beginning at least. It all changes if the results go the wrong way.

Correct
He’s in very good company as a player. He started his career at Réal Sociadad, which is where Merlin ended his, though Emery only played five games for them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.