Kyle Walker : 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He puts far too much pace on the ball when he's crossing.

Apart from that he's doing fine, will be crucial as the season goes on.

I Thought he did well on the ball vs Brighton, a through ball to Sterling and a couple of great pinged crossfield passes, one of which we probably should have scored from if not for poor control from Sane. His short passing can be iffy but with our left being the more "possession side" he can be a bit isolated when the ball gets to him but usually finds a decent solution. Maybe missing De Bruyne who does a good job of being available for him to pass to.

Don't really understand the disappointment in him for not attacking like Zabaleta, if Delph or Zinchenko tuck into midfield we usually end up looking like 3-2-5 in possession as yesterday. Walker going forward in that situation would just leave us vulnerable to counters. Probably has to be even more conservative if Mendy is playing.

I Thought he did well on the ball vs Brighton, a through ball to Sterling and a couple of great pinged crossfield passes, one of which we probably should have scored from if not for poor control from Sane. His short passing can be iffy but with our left being the more "possession side" he can be a bit isolated when the ball gets to him but usually finds a decent solution. Maybe missing De Bruyne who does a good job of being available for him to pass to.

Don't really understand the disappointment in him for not attacking like Zabaleta, if Delph or Zinchenko tuck into midfield we usually end up looking like 3-2-5 in possession as yesterday. Walker going forward in that situation would just leave us vulnerable to counters. Probably has to be even more conservative if Mendy is playing.

He is under orders to not over commit in certain games I am sure of it. Pep prefers Walker being deeper to cover counter attacks because he has the pace to deal with it more than our other defenders. I will be interested to see what happens at Anfield if Mendy and Walker are both fit. Their full backs bomb on so attacking those areas will be crucial without then leaving us exposed. Will be an interesting test. Mendy is a better crosser of the ball but doesn't always go ahead of the winger to get the ball in. You can whip it across from a deeper wide position with the same result.

He is under orders to not over commit in certain games I am sure of it. Pep prefers Walker being deeper to cover counter attacks because he has the pace to deal with it more than our other defenders. I will be interested to see what happens at Anfield if Mendy and Walker are both fit. Their full backs bomb on so attacking those areas will be crucial without then leaving us exposed. Will be an interesting test. Mendy is a better crosser of the ball but doesn't always go ahead of the winger to get the ball in. You can whip it across from a deeper wide position with the same result.
He did say after one game ,i forget which one, that he was told to stay back to help cover whilst benny bombed on,all the players are carrying out instructions

FWIW, from Pep's post-game presser after Brighton ... he was asked if, overall, considering KDB is injured,
City is playing as well as they did last season.
Pep answers "most of the time" and perhaps even better than last season then goes on to use Walker as an example ...
"Kyle is learning a lot, to play a little more inside"

I thought apart from one brain fart in the first half he was better yday. Next Sunday we can’t afford any.

Unpopular opinion here, but i think Walker is going backwards a bit. He's making too many mistakes which are just down to being sloppy and i'm not sure if that's due to lack of competition or just how he is. I also think his passing between the lines and his crossing isn't improving, i'd like to see us look at that position again in January (if we cover the more troublesome ones) and see what we can do.

Unpopular opinion here, but i think Walker is going backwards a bit. He's making too many mistakes which are just down to being sloppy and i'm not sure if that's due to lack of competition or just how he is. I also think his passing between the lines and his crossing isn't improving, i'd like to see us look at that position again in January (if we cover the more troublesome ones) and see what we can do.
I agree that he does seem to have regressed, but we know he has it in him, so I don't think we need to look for replacements. I,m sure Pep will calibrate him.

He's played 5916 minutes of football since arriving here - The equivalent of 66 full matches, more than anyone else in the team.

The guy needs a rest if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.